97 Wrangler High Idle HELP!!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 97 Wrangler High Idle HELP!!!

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 10-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #31
creepyjeep420
1998 TJ Wrangler 

mine was doing that and i replaced the throttle position sensor. helped me.. if you have a check engine light on go to a mechanic and get them to run a diagonistic that should tell you exactly what it is

creepyjeep420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #32
twanger1994
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyjeep420 View Post
mine was doing that and i replaced the throttle position sensor. helped me.. if you have a check engine light on go to a mechanic and get them to run a diagonistic that should tell you exactly what it is

I don't have a cel on and I'm sure it lights
twanger1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #33
Erhmagerdjerp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had this same issue on my 97 tj. I replaced the Iac and the tps I replaced the vacuum line (from this fuel rail to the throttle body) I wa at a loss...just for fun I sprayed a little throttle body between the intake manifold and the block. It made the engine stumble and sputter...turns out the bolts holding the intake on were loose...it works fine now so try it out
Erhmagerdjerp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #34
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help, though note the post you responded to was nearly three years old. A big welcome to JF, good to have you here!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #35
Bullethead
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhmagerdjerp View Post
I had this same issue on my 97 tj. I replaced the Iac and the tps I replaced the vacuum line (from this fuel rail to the throttle body) I wa at a loss...just for fun I sprayed a little throttle body between the intake manifold and the block. It made the engine stumble and sputter...turns out the bolts holding the intake on were loose...it works fine now so try it out
I have replaced my IAC, cleaned the TB 3x and still nothing. I did notice that upon spraying Carb cleaner at the line from the PCV elbow to the Intake Manifold there was a stutter.

Could you show me the bolts you are referring to? I am not sure if I need to replace the vacuum line or what. I am one weekend away from just taking this to the mechanic and washing my hands of this issue. Should I look into replacing the TPS as well? because a new IAC didn't do a darn thing but make it worse.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2014, 11:05 PM   #36
BLAKESTER

Man this sucks I put a new exhaust my 1999 jeep wrangler , unhooked all the electrical , pulled the manifold to the side replaced the exhaust. put everything back, started it now its full throttle wide open, can some one please help me out on this . THX BLAKESTER
BLAKESTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 12:37 AM   #37
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you didn't get the intake manifold installed properly on the alignment dowel pins. Check the link below... HTH

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/in...ectly-1045108/
Unread 10-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #38
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The intake manifold is leaking where it bolts to the head from not having been seated properly.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #39
BLAKESTER

Just wanted to say think's for the help "work's great " took it off an put it back on
BLAKESTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #40
jtleitner
1999 TJ Wrangler 

High Idle @2000 RPM and a whine like it's sucking air

My 99 TJ 4cyl started to slowly increase the RPM.

First it would (periodically) crank but not start. I had a mechanic replace the Crank sensor and when I got it back, it seemed to work ok. Then a day or so later, I turned a corner a little fast and everything seemed to shut off. I had been having this increasing idle issue and thought I had a vacuum leak. So I finally reached around back of the throttle body (while it was running) and messed a little with the wires. I did this actually looking for a vacuum leak. I must have moved the connections to the throttle body and the thing stopped running and picked back up as I wiggled the wires around.

I pulled the airbox off and discovered the plastic connector lock was broken off both connections. The essence of why my Jeep wouldn't start and more recently stopped running when making a turn. Basically I wasted a lot of money having a crank sensor replaced when all along it was these two loose connector blocks on the back of the throttle body. Arggghhhh.

So that being fixed, I still have an issue with the whistle I'm now getting and the high idle. Reading this thread, I'm thinking it's either loose manifold, broken vacuum line or the Throttle Air motor. I'm taking the thing to a mufflr shop today because the whistle I'm getting started happening around the same time as the higher idle. If that diagnosis doesn't indicate an obvious repair, I'll look into the Throttle Air sensor. I'll let you all know what I find.

Tags
high , idle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.