97 TJ Turn signal switch replacement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 97 TJ Turn signal switch replacement?

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 05-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
wmphipps
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 TJ Turn signal switch replacement?

My turn signal switch is shot on my 97 TJ Sport and I have a new one coming tomorrow from NAPA. If anyone can point me to a good step by step for this task I will be grateful. I am a willing but fairly unskilled jeep owner/mechanic but I am going to give it a try.

wmphipps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
jdgrip
2004 KJ Liberty 

This write up is pretty close to what I did on my TJ. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/write-up-replace-turn-signal-switch-97-xj-620147-post6129430/

Jdgrip
jdgrip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
wmphipps
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks jdgrip. Between this write up and the below one I found I should be able to fix it. Both are for Cherokees and are a little different but maybe close enough. Sounds like I have to remove my ignition key lock cylinder which goes thru a hole in my lower shroud. I also need to "loosen the two upper steering column mounting nuts". I am not too sure where those are but may find out when I get into it. I appreciate the help.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl271h.htm
Unread 05-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's an easy swap wmphipps, I don't think there is any need to remove the lock cylinder if I recall correctly from when I did the same job on my '97 4-5 years ago.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

No need to remove cylinder. Much easier on a TJ than an XJ!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
wmphipps
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If all else fails read the manual. I found a 97 TJ FSM and downloaded it. The manual says to remove the lock cylinder after disconnecting negative battery terminal ( I think this disables the airbag for safety) My lock cylinder goes thru a hole in the lower steering column shroud which will not come off unless cylinder is removed so this makes sense.

(from FSM)
DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE
BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE FROM THE
VEHICLE BATTERY. THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES
FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE
BEFORE FURTHER SYSTEM SERVICE. THIS IS THE
ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM.
FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN
ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT, AND POSSIBLE
PERSONAL INJURY.

(4) Insert the key in the ignition lock cylinder and
turn the ignition switch to the On position .
(5) Insert a small screwdriver or pin punch
through the access hole in the lower steering column
shroud and depress the ignition lock cylinder retaining
tumbler (Fig. 4).
Unread 05-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
wmphipps
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I fixed my turn signal switch last evening in about 25 min. I did disconnect my neg. batt. term. and I did remove the lock cylinder (easy). Thanks for all the help. I did not "loosen the two upper steering column mounting nuts" (not necessary).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.