97 TJ Tranny issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 97 TJ Tranny issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
stofur
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 TJ Tranny issue

Hey guys...I'm new to the forum and new to Jeeps in general. I'm also not mechanically inclined, but I bought a Jeep so that I could learn. Looks like I'm going to get my chance...

Here's my issue. My TJ slips out of 5th gear typically after I let off the gas, coast, or sometimes if I hit a big bump in the road. Any ideas what would cause this? The only gear I have trouble with is 5th...

I'm concerned that it could be the tranny and I don't have the money right now to rebuild/replace it as I used all my cash to buy it.

Your help is very much appreciated!! Thanks!

stofur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 02:43 AM   #2
predawn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

mileage?
predawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

you could try adjusting the shift linkage according to a shop manuel . if that fails , start saving for a second hand on cr's list , and rebuild yours while it's out .
http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/AX15.pdf
i see no adjustments to shifting as it is internal . the pdf is good but if you go to great lakes and scroll down you will find 97 xj service manual ,containing a much better tranny section with better photos . also lots of engine stuff . looks like a gear issue or rail or syncro . it's as if the gear isnt fully engaging . try the engine/driveline section of this site . very helpful folks here .

Last edited by herbiehind; 08-21-2011 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: addition
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
skydiver30960

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely not trying to over-simplify things, but I'm a noob too so that's what I do. Start out by looking at the shifter and your center console and make sure they aren't hitting for some reason. Pop loose the bezel that holds the rubber boot in place to really get it out of the way to see if it still keeps popping out.

Ike

I will NOT calm down! Machine guns affect my ability to perform and I do NOT like that! -- Ricardo Tubbs

The world is a mess... and I just need to RULE it. -- Dr. Horrible

Machete don't txt. -- Machete
skydiver30960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver30960 View Post
Definitely not trying to over-simplify things, but I'm a noob too so that's what I do. Start out by looking at the shifter and your center console and make sure they aren't hitting for some reason. Pop loose the bezel that holds the rubber boot in place to really get it out of the way to see if it still keeps popping out.

Ike
that's an awesome point . could have a body lift or t-case drop .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
stofur
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver30960 View Post

Ike
Tried loosening the bezel...still popping out of 5th.
Unread 08-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
stofur
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbiehind View Post
you could try adjusting the shift linkage according to a shop manuel . if that fails , start saving for a second hand on cr's list , and rebuild yours while it's out .
http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/AX15.pdf
i see no adjustments to shifting as it is internal . the pdf is good but if you go to great lakes and scroll down you will find 97 xj service manual ,containing a much better tranny section with better photos . also lots of engine stuff . looks like a gear issue or rail or syncro . it's as if the gear isnt fully engaging . try the engine/driveline section of this site . very helpful folks here .
Thanks herbie. I will probably give it a try next weekend. I'm such a noob tho, I'm afraid of messing stuff up. Since it's my daily driver, I can't really afford a mistake. I'm gonna check out greatlakes tonight. thanks again!

Tags
tranny problem

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.