97 TJ SE w/ 2" ProComp lift Rides like a Tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 97 TJ SE w/ 2" ProComp lift Rides like a Tank

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 06-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
97Blackbean
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 TJ SE w/ 2" ProComp lift Rides like a Tank

I've installed a ProComp 2" suspension lift on my little 4cyl and now the ride is way too rough. The kit came with ProComp's entry level shocks and springs. Now I have trouble going 15mph down my local Jeep roads without getting bounced off the road. I think the coils are too stiff for the lightweight TJ and the cheepy shocks don't help. What can I do? Going back to stock is out because I have already trashed the parts. Would spending more on better shocks really help that much? Or are the coils too stiff. I just want to go 30mph down a dirt road without fearing for my life.

By the way...I contacted ProComp weeks ago with no response.

Thanks everyone,

Steve

97Blackbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
greentea
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Blackbean View Post
I've installed a ProComp 2" suspension lift on my little 4cyl and now the ride is way too rough. The kit came with ProComp's entry level shocks and springs. Now I have trouble going 15mph down my local Jeep roads without getting bounced off the road. I think the coils are too stiff for the lightweight TJ and the cheepy shocks don't help. What can I do? Going back to stock is out because I have already trashed the parts. Would spending more on better shocks really help that much? Or are the coils too stiff. I just want to go 30mph down a dirt road without fearing for my life.

By the way...I contacted ProComp weeks ago with no response.

Thanks everyone,

Steve
What tire pressure you are running?

I have the same kit for two years in streets and have been in some off roading. Maybe they are on the harder side but I didn't find they are that bad.

And would you believe after I have 2" spacers on top of the coils for half year, the shocks hold very well?
greentea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Blackbean View Post
ProComp's shocks.
That's your problem.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

x2 on the shocks hahahahaha

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
VTEK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
That's your problem.
X3, especially, if you have their es3000 shocks (9000's would probably be too stiff for a 4 cyl too).
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I ran that setup with the ES9000 shocks, and it is very stiff. The Skyjacker hydros made a big difference.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
aussied97tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The 2" pro comp was my first lift but at the time i bought it from 4wd they had free upgrade to the pro comp mx6 shocks and it rode great. I am still even running the 2" springs and mx6 shocks in the rear. So i can definetly say get some better shocks. I have heard alot of people say the esxxxx pro comp shocks are very stiff. Only reason i am not running the front springs and mx6 up front is i went to 4" springs up front and they are bds springs and bds shocks and they ride good also.
aussied97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same lift w/ the same problem. Replaced the ES3000s w/ Skyjacker hydros and made a big improvement.
TJamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
97Blackbean
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You guys are awesome

Thanks for the replies! I have to pony up some dough and get better shocks. I look towards the RS9000 or a higher end Bilstien.

Thanks much... this web community is great.

Steve
97Blackbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
procomp , tj , wrangler , lift , suspension , rough

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.