97 TJ SE w/ 2" ProComp lift Rides like a Tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 97 TJ SE w/ 2" ProComp lift Rides like a Tank

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
97Blackbean
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 TJ SE w/ 2" ProComp lift Rides like a Tank

I've installed a ProComp 2" suspension lift on my little 4cyl and now the ride is way too rough. The kit came with ProComp's entry level shocks and springs. Now I have trouble going 15mph down my local Jeep roads without getting bounced off the road. I think the coils are too stiff for the lightweight TJ and the cheepy shocks don't help. What can I do? Going back to stock is out because I have already trashed the parts. Would spending more on better shocks really help that much? Or are the coils too stiff. I just want to go 30mph down a dirt road without fearing for my life.

By the way...I contacted ProComp weeks ago with no response.

Thanks everyone,

Steve

97Blackbean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
greentea
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Blackbean View Post
I've installed a ProComp 2" suspension lift on my little 4cyl and now the ride is way too rough. The kit came with ProComp's entry level shocks and springs. Now I have trouble going 15mph down my local Jeep roads without getting bounced off the road. I think the coils are too stiff for the lightweight TJ and the cheepy shocks don't help. What can I do? Going back to stock is out because I have already trashed the parts. Would spending more on better shocks really help that much? Or are the coils too stiff. I just want to go 30mph down a dirt road without fearing for my life.

By the way...I contacted ProComp weeks ago with no response.

Thanks everyone,

Steve
What tire pressure you are running?

I have the same kit for two years in streets and have been in some off roading. Maybe they are on the harder side but I didn't find they are that bad.

And would you believe after I have 2" spacers on top of the coils for half year, the shocks hold very well?
greentea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Blackbean View Post
ProComp's shocks.
That's your problem.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

x2 on the shocks hahahahaha

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
VTEK1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
That's your problem.
X3, especially, if you have their es3000 shocks (9000's would probably be too stiff for a 4 cyl too).
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I ran that setup with the ES9000 shocks, and it is very stiff. The Skyjacker hydros made a big difference.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
aussied97tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The 2" pro comp was my first lift but at the time i bought it from 4wd they had free upgrade to the pro comp mx6 shocks and it rode great. I am still even running the 2" springs and mx6 shocks in the rear. So i can definetly say get some better shocks. I have heard alot of people say the esxxxx pro comp shocks are very stiff. Only reason i am not running the front springs and mx6 up front is i went to 4" springs up front and they are bds springs and bds shocks and they ride good also.
aussied97tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same lift w/ the same problem. Replaced the ES3000s w/ Skyjacker hydros and made a big improvement.
TJamz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
97Blackbean
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You guys are awesome

Thanks for the replies! I have to pony up some dough and get better shocks. I look towards the RS9000 or a higher end Bilstien.

Thanks much... this web community is great.

Steve
97Blackbean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
procomp , tj , wrangler , lift , suspension , rough

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.