97 TJ rear end problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 97 TJ rear end problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Nberry90
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 TJ rear end problems

I have a 97 TJ with a Dana 35 rear end. When i am driving there is bad vibrations going straight, but worse while turning at any speed. I jacked up the Jeep and i can pull the wheel away from the axle about a half an inch on the passenger side and about 1/4 inch on the driver side. I am not sure if there is a simple fix for this or what is completely going wrong. My jeep is my DD and i need this fixed ASAP. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nick

Nberry90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Check the drive shaft. What you describe about the rear axles is normal.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Nberry90
1997 TJ Wrangler 

the drive shaft and all the U-Joints are fine. thats why i believe that its the differential.
Nberry90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
97lon
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pull the cover off of differential and have look. Sounds like your carrier is loose . Thats thing in middle with little gears in it. Atleast if you take it somewhere you know what you got
97lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Mine did that and the bearings had gone bad on the carrier allowing the whole carrier to move around in the housing. I rebuilt it myself for less than 100 bucks. I had napa press the new bearings on for me
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.