97 tj only has 55k but now hesistates at first but idles fine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 97 tj only has 55k but now hesistates at first but idles fine

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 06-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
sumitup
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 tj only has 55k but now hesistates at first but idles fine

Hello:
Any help I have been driving my dads Jeep tj this summer, he only uses it pulling from behind his motorhome.
It only has 55k miles and I have put on about 8k in 2 months. This past week it starts up fine and idles normal but when I start going down the street it wants to stall out. I have to put in the clutch as I am driving to keep the rpms up as best I can. After about a 1/2 mile of this it runs fine the rest of the day.
It happens every morning and if I let it sit for any length of time during the day.
I thought it was maybe bad gas, but I refilled 2x. Also I put in some fuel injector cleaner. No help.
97 jeep tj
manual
Thanks
Kevin

sumitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

First, welcome to JF!

I would start by cleaning the throttle body's interior with an aerosol can of throttle body cleaner. After removing the air intake tube, start the engine and while keeping the rpms up spray the cleaner into the throttle body. Direct some of the spray into the Idle Air Control Passage Inlet per the below illustration. Air gets sucked in through that passage inlet at idle to provide all of the engine's air when the butterfly valve is closed (when your foot is not pressing on the accelerator pedal). That Inlet only sucks in air when the butterfly valve is closed so try to get some of the cleaner spray to go into it at idle though it may tend to try to stall the engine. There is a solenoid actuated plunger (the IAC itself) that controls the air flow through that Inlet which is what you're trying to clean by doing this.

By the way, the butterfly valve is that round plate just below the Idle Air Control Passage Inlet that opens when you step on the accelerator pedal or move the throttle linkage.
tb-tps-sensor-locations-1-.jpg  

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum. In this case what Jerry says may help but the problem is the upstream oxygen sensor. You should take a look at the following thread...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/97-tj-sputter-stall-o2-sensor-612880/

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.