97 TJ intermittent Starting Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 97 TJ intermittent Starting Problems

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
Randomdude735
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 TJ intermittent Starting Problems

Wow, I do hate intermittent problems.

I have a 97 TJ 4.0 with manual trans. Intermittently it won't start. I turn the key and nothing, no clicks or anything. There is power and lights but no starter. If I wait a while and try again, it sometimes works. It seems to do this about once every 10 starts or so. Usually when I'm in a hurry, LOL.

It's driving me nuts. Could it be the starter, the clutch safety switch, a solenoid???

Please help

Randomdude735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Start by disconnecting the wires from the battery and starter and cleaning off any corrosion.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
j_niko
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would start, as Jason said, with the connector that goes from the battery to the starter. The one in my wife's 2000 rusted through and I didn't know it was going till it was gone...at a bad time of course
Unread 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

When it's not working, hold the key in the start position and have someone tap the starter with a hammer...

Tags
intermittent , solenoid , starter , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.