97 TJ intermittent Starting Problems - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-12-2012, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Randomdude735
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 TJ intermittent Starting Problems

Wow, I do hate intermittent problems.

I have a 97 TJ 4.0 with manual trans. Intermittently it won't start. I turn the key and nothing, no clicks or anything. There is power and lights but no starter. If I wait a while and try again, it sometimes works. It seems to do this about once every 10 starts or so. Usually when I'm in a hurry, LOL.

It's driving me nuts. Could it be the starter, the clutch safety switch, a solenoid???

Please help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Start by disconnecting the wires from the battery and starter and cleaning off any corrosion.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 AM
j_niko
2009 JK Wrangler 

I would start, as Jason said, with the connector that goes from the battery to the starter. The one in my wife's 2000 rusted through and I didn't know it was going till it was gone...at a bad time of course

2000 - Sahara
1997 - Sahara
post #4 of 6 Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

When it's not working, hold the key in the start position and have someone tap the starter with a hammer...
post #5 of 6 Old 09-17-2016, 07:50 PM
TrivialDig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Im having an isssue similar to this. I have a 98 tj w the 2.5l and the 5 speed. Every once in a while, ill go to start it, and the started will crank and keep cranking, but it wont spark. I let it rest a second, and it will start right up on the next turn. I have been inside and out on this jeep for other projects, the starter and the cables to it are fine, the battery is newer, the wiring everywhere else is good. The only thing I can think of is the fuel filter or the fuel pump. Thoughts?
post #6 of 6 Old 09-18-2016, 07:26 AM
98TJSE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrivialDig View Post
Im having an isssue similar to this. I have a 98 tj w the 2.5l and the 5 speed. Every once in a while, ill go to start it, and the started will crank and keep cranking, but it wont spark. I let it rest a second, and it will start right up on the next turn. I have been inside and out on this jeep for other projects, the starter and the cables to it are fine, the battery is newer, the wiring everywhere else is good. The only thing I can think of is the fuel filter or the fuel pump. Thoughts?
try just turning key on and off a few times.. let it build up pressure in fuel before cranking.. see if make s a difference.. otherwise its possible the crank sensor.. i know my old 98 2.5 had issue with sensor plug i guess water got in and corroded the connection, when i took it apart it was a bugger to begin with but was corroded green badly, cleaned up contacts, die electric grease , rebuilt the engine, sold it haha

just something to check, the connection is on drivers side under the intake/ firewall area, just dont mistake it for the O2 sensor wire thats close by as sensor is on bellhousing.. if you want something to check

otherwise you can make your own thread instead of hijackign 2 :O

Tags
intermittent , solenoid , starter , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.