JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   97 TJ intermittent Starting Problems (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/97-tj-intermittent-starting-problems-1380269/)

Randomdude735 06-12-2012 07:21 AM

97 TJ intermittent Starting Problems

Wow, I do hate intermittent problems.

I have a 97 TJ 4.0 with manual trans. Intermittently it won't start. I turn the key and nothing, no clicks or anything. There is power and lights but no starter. If I wait a while and try again, it sometimes works. It seems to do this about once every 10 starts or so. Usually when I'm in a hurry, LOL.

It's driving me nuts. Could it be the starter, the clutch safety switch, a solenoid???

Please help :2thumbsup:

Jason 06-12-2012 08:06 AM

Start by disconnecting the wires from the battery and starter and cleaning off any corrosion.

j_niko 06-12-2012 08:11 AM

I would start, as Jason said, with the connector that goes from the battery to the starter. The one in my wife's 2000 rusted through and I didn't know it was going till it was gone...at a bad time of course

Knuckelhead 06-12-2012 01:47 PM

When it's not working, hold the key in the start position and have someone tap the starter with a hammer...

TrivialDig 09-17-2016 07:50 PM

Im having an isssue similar to this. I have a 98 tj w the 2.5l and the 5 speed. Every once in a while, ill go to start it, and the started will crank and keep cranking, but it wont spark. I let it rest a second, and it will start right up on the next turn. I have been inside and out on this jeep for other projects, the starter and the cables to it are fine, the battery is newer, the wiring everywhere else is good. The only thing I can think of is the fuel filter or the fuel pump. Thoughts?

98TJSE 09-18-2016 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrivialDig (Post 36362977)
Im having an isssue similar to this. I have a 98 tj w the 2.5l and the 5 speed. Every once in a while, ill go to start it, and the started will crank and keep cranking, but it wont spark. I let it rest a second, and it will start right up on the next turn. I have been inside and out on this jeep for other projects, the starter and the cables to it are fine, the battery is newer, the wiring everywhere else is good. The only thing I can think of is the fuel filter or the fuel pump. Thoughts?

try just turning key on and off a few times.. let it build up pressure in fuel before cranking.. see if make s a difference.. otherwise its possible the crank sensor.. i know my old 98 2.5 had issue with sensor plug i guess water got in and corroded the connection, when i took it apart it was a bugger to begin with but was corroded green badly, cleaned up contacts, die electric grease , rebuilt the engine, sold it haha

just something to check, the connection is on drivers side under the intake/ firewall area, just dont mistake it for the O2 sensor wire thats close by as sensor is on bellhousing.. if you want something to check :)

otherwise you can make your own thread instead of hijackign 2 :O

The time now is 10:44 PM.