From the 1997 FSM...
WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS,
REFER TO GROUP 8M - PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS
BEFORE ATTEMPTING STEERING WHEEL,
STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT
DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE
THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN
ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE
(1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative
(2) Remove the steering column cover and knee
blocker as described in this group.
NOTE: The headlamp switch knob and shaft must
be removed from the headlamp switch after the
steering column cover is removed, and reinstalled
after the steering column cover is installed .
(3) Place the headlamp switch control knob in the
(4) Depress the headlamp switch knob and shaft
release button on the top of the switch and pull the
switch knob and shaft out of the switch (Fig. 4).
VIEWED FROM UNDERSIDE OF DASH J898L-13
Fig. 4 Headlamp Switch Knob and Shaft Remove/
Install - Typical
(5) Remove the headlamp switch spanner nut from
the front of the instrument panel switch mounting
(6) Unplug the two wire harness connectors from
the headlamp switch.
(7) Remove the headlamp switch from the instrument
(8) Reverse the removal procedures to install .