97 TJ cranks for a long time before start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 97 TJ cranks for a long time before start

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
mflint1513
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 TJ cranks for a long time before start

Like the title says...

I notice it pretty much when the engine is cold. It'll take about 15-20 seconds and then finally starts. It runs and everything just fine but starting is a bit of a bother. We ran the alternator test and the batter test at Autozone and the guy said it was fine.

One of the other guys said he thought it might be the "electic choke" located on the throttle body. Now, I'm not sure what the Jeep guys did to the 4.0 in 1997 but I didn't think it had one of these "electric choke" things. I see that there is a MAP sensor, and two others (one I'm thinkin' is a TPS).

Anyway, if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks a bunch!

mflint1513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
woodasptim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine is doing the same thing, I'm about 95% sure it's the one way valve at the top of the gas tank malfunctioning and letting the fuel drain from the fuel line when it sits for a little while. The delay is how long it takes the fuel pump to refill the fuel line.
woodasptim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
mflint1513
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So should I prime the pump by just turning the key to position 1 for a few seconds then off then repeat several times? Hmmm...might work. I'll give it a shot.

Leads me to my next few issues...I fill the gas tank until the pump shuts off and I only get 11 gallons in there when I'm totally empty. On top of that, my guage only reads 3/4 tank. Maybe I've got alot more fuel issues than I think?
Unread 09-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
mikede
2004 TJ Wrangler 

mflint, had this problem on my YJ. Somebody dropped in a smaller tank but didn't adjust the guage or the float to match, so it was never right. Knew when it was empty, just not when it was full!

You're lucky...my tank would only take 8gal!
Unread 09-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
woodasptim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When I first get in, I turn the key to the point just before it trys to turn over. I leave it in that position while I buckle up and put on my sunglasses. That usually takes care of it.
Unread 09-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
mflint1513
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, that's a good temporary fix. But what about long term?
Unread 09-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
woodasptim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Long term is drop the tank and replace the one way valve at the top. Now if I could just figure out where to get one....

Here is the best kit that I've found for the fuel pump itself, but I see no mention of the valve. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
Unread 09-18-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
TJLINGO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You can check for fuel in the fuel rail. There is a bleeder looks like a tire valve stem. its covered by a black cap. my sons 99 was hardstarting. then i repalced the crank poaition sensor and no more problems
TJLINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
EagleStorm
2008 WK 

elec choke ??? run from this guy EFI has NO choke none. put a fuel guage on at the fuel rail run the jeep then shut it off watch the fuel psi it should hold may drop 5 psi thats ok.If it drops to a very low psi or 0 psi the fuel is draining back to the tank there is a ck valve in the fuel module I recomend change the complete module on something that old. Others on here may say replace the valve It's your choice. When I am done I dont want to have to be back in the tank for any reason like the pump takes a crap 2 mo later good luck
EagleStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #10
JeepinRRT
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think your right on with the fuel bleed back valve. happened to me on my 97. If it starts right away from "priming"it with the key a few times its the belld back valve if not try the crank position sensor i think that is the one on the transmission bell housing. Very easy to get at if that is indeed the issue. however fuel sounds more like the culprit. if you check the fuel rail bleeder there should be all fuel and no air with it based on my experience. as the last poster noted a guage is the ideal diagnostic.
JKS Disco's, Infinity's in the pods
JeepinRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #11
trooper251
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My '02 Sahara is in the shop getting fixed at this time for the same symptoms. The diagnosis was a bad injector, it was bleeding off the fuel..... the cure, a new injector. I hope to get it back tomorrow I sure miss it.

trp251
trooper251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 11:16 PM   #12
Rowingfish87
2002 TJ Wrangler 

there is an o-ring in the one-way valve that goes bad with time. I had the same problem in my 99 xj with the 4.0 and i replaced every freaking part i could think of to no avail: cps, fuel pump relay, had all elec. sys checked, changed plugs, checked injectors, etc, etc, etc. it was that **** valve after all. but yeah, its a pain to change so just turn the key to run and let it sit for a minute while you get situated in the jeep and then crank. normally takes care of it.

1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD
Rowingfish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #13
mflint1513
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, priming the pump by turning the key on and off a bunch of times is fixing it. I'm guessing it's a bad valve. Should I just replace the whole assy while I'm there? What about the fact that I can only get about 12 gallons at once?

What all gas tank mods should I do while I've got the tank dropped?
Unread 09-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #14
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Replacing the fuel filter/regulator that sits on top of the tank should fix the problem. You can get the unit from seller fuelpumpking1 on ebay. Here's a write up that might help. I changed my strainers at the bottom of the tank too when I did my regulator.

http://www.dailydriventj.com/fuel_pump.shtml

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
Martimus
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I need some help please as I am new to the jeep world I have a 92 Wrangler with the 2.5L.
The problem is it will start great first thing in the morning but after that if you shut it of and it sits for more than 2 min. it take a very long time of turning over before it will crank.
Here is a list of what I have done to resolve this so far and I might add it would hardly run at all before this and it would take 45-60 sec. to start when I began.

Replaced: Battery, TPS, crank sensore, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, Distributor, cap and rotor, plugs, valve cover gasket( it was leaking)
Did oil change and I only run non ethanol gas.
please help going nuts over this.
Oh ya and the rpms take a bit to drop when you come up to a stop sighn?????

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.