97 TJ - Cant Ground My AMP to Chasis - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 97 TJ - Cant Ground My AMP to Chasis

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGOffset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 05-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
Dombrowski95
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 TJ - Cant Ground My AMP to Chasis

Hey,
Im currently installing an audio system in my 97 TJ. Ive had this problem in the past, however, just ran a wire to the (-) on my battery. However, I cannot afford 17ft of 4 GA wire at the moment. The problem is that when installing after market parts that require elec. , the chasis of my jeep wont ground the wire..

Maybe im just a little challenged, but can someone point me in the right direction.?!

-Thanks

Dombrowski95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
stu132u
2006 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Dombrowski95;13524535]Hey,
Im currently installing an audio system in my 97 TJ. Ive had this problem in the past, however, just ran a wire to the (-) on my battery. However, I cannot afford 17ft of 4 GA wire at the moment. The problem is that when installing after market parts that require elec. , the chasis of my jeep wont ground the wire..

Maybe im just a little challenged, but can someone point me in the right direction.?!

-Thanks[/QUOTE

I have two amps (four channel for the sound bars, and a mono for the subwoofer) installed on my 2001 TJ and I' connected the ground to the bolts that hold down the front seat brackets - no issues. They both fire up fine, and the sound is great! I will caution you to make sure that you run the power line to the amplifier away from the speaker wires - minimizes/eliminates the feedback.
stu132u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Dombrowski95
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks alot, ill try it
Dombrowski95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu132u View Post
I will caution you to make sure that you run the power line to the amplifier away from the speaker wires - minimizes/eliminates the feedback.
add the signal wires to that list, power down one side, signal and speaker down the other
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
stu132u
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead_Jed View Post
add the signal wires to that list, power down one side, signal and speaker down the other
Good call on the signal wires too! I ran my power lead between the seats under the center console and the speaker wires down the passenger side exterior wall. Of course, you could always run the power down the side and and the speakers down the middle.
stu132u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ground , jeep , system , tj , wire

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.