97 tj aw4 swap need wiring help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 97 tj aw4 swap need wiring help

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiFree shipping on slip yoke eliminator kits New lower PriceNew! JK/U skid plate system.

Unread 12-31-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
rparker12345
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 tj aw4 swap need wiring help

Im neck deep in my swap project. I bought a 2000 aw4 trans. from a local salvage yard. I later found out I needed some parts but they crushed the vehicle. I didnt come with with the black and grey wiring connectors. I found another yard that had a 97 cherokee 2wd. I grabbed the tcm and connectors. Now finding out that the 97 cherokee and 2000 cherokee are different. The 97 has pins missing on the 26 wire plug. For example pin 1and 2which would be for an input sensor. Pin 3 is missing which would be for the one of the two wires for the output speed sensor. If anyone has any knowledge of how to wire the input speed sensor for a 97 or did the 97 have an input sensor? After reading so many wiring diagrams, my head is mush. Thanks for any help.

rparker12345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mrblaine and I worked several nights getting the wiring right for an AW4 conversion for a King of the Hammers race vehicle and it wasn't easy since the wiring and wiring color changes by model year. It took the several pages of wiring diagrams we had plus lots of phone calls to someone else who had access to online wiring diagrams before it finally came together but, again, it wasn't easy. Be especially careful that you have your frame and signal grounds done correctly. We had a problem with one of those that caused a later issue.

Stu has several AW4 conversion projects on his website at http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp and at least one of them has some wiring information that would help. That's the best help I can offer since I no longer have any of the wiring information we used on the earlier conversion.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
mike481
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I know from doing my AW4 swap that the wiring changes from 98' up. When I was getting parts together I got a TCU and connectors from a 97' AW4 and they would not work with the wiring harness I had already made.
This is the link to Tim Doumit's AW4 swap on Stu's site. He had a 97' and the wiring should be the same as yours.

http://stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4a/aw-4a-1.htm

Worst case you can use Stu's wiring list to cross reference the wires to your 97'

http://stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4/TJ-AW4WiringList.pdf

If I was you I would look for the black and gray connectors from a 98-01 XJ. This way the wires at least match across the connectors. With these you could get your wiring complete. I have wiring diagrams from multiple years so I'll see what I can find for you.

It's a great swap and I love mine. Other than goofing off in the snow I haven't had a real chance to go off road with it yet.

RIP 4-14-2012
mike481 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
rparker12345
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help. Im looking locally for a 98 and up at the upull it yards. I jumped on the 97 thinking it was an obd11 and wouldve been the same. Im all over stu's site. The wiring on his pertains to a 2000 aw4 and tcu. I also have a membership to alldatapro. So I can look up whatever vehicle's wiring. The 97 and 2000 are definately different. I will keep on studying. Thanks again and any suggestions will be appreciated. Jeep On!!!
rparker12345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There are some on line wiring diagrams available at GreatLakesXJ.com in the tech section. This may help a bit.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

When we did Kruize's AW4, we used the heck out of the alldata web site. He bought a subscription and we looked through a goodly amount of diagrams.

Good luck on the project. If you find something worth adding to the write-up on my site, let me know. We can grow the write-up, so to speak, so other folks can benefit from it.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
alextremetj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just wondering how you made out?

I just completed my AW4 swap, and let me tell you, it is worth it!
alextremetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

A friend of mine has an extra AW4 lying around in his shop that (I think) should mate right up to my 4.0/241 in place of my 6-speed that needs to be rebuilt. I'm really curious as to how well it worked for you, too.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #9
laxdadof3
1999 TJ Wrangler 

hello, I am going to do the aw-4 swap is there any place where we can get a parts list for the entire swap?or if any company sells a complete
kit for the swap?
laxdadof3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #10
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

What you need can be found in this AW-4 write-up. There are several articles on my site.
Unread Yesterday, 09:14 PM   #11
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson View Post
What you need can be found in this AW-4 write-up. There are several articles on my site.
Welcome back...
Unread Yesterday, 10:16 PM   #12
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hi.
Unread Yesterday, 11:13 PM   #13
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson View Post
Hi.
How long before you move back to where the mosquito is considered the state bird?...
Unread Today, 08:16 AM   #14
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

We'll be leaving AZ around the 1st of May, maybe a little sooner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.