97 TJ 2.5L rusty, rusty frame. Should I get it for parts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 97 TJ 2.5L rusty, rusty frame. Should I get it for parts?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 05-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
chadridesabike
1998 TJ Wrangler 

97 TJ 2.5L rusty, rusty frame. Should I get it for parts?

Hey all. I have a 98 TJ 4.0L AX15 D30 D35 w/ 3.73 gears.

A friend at work is looking to part with his 97 2.5L 5-speed, which has some terrible rust on the frame, and some minor engine woes. I really want the half doors, but that looks to be the only thing I could part from it, unless I take the gears.

How much do you think this thing is worth? I'd like to get it for a steal, as he wanted to dump it with a junk yard, then decide what parts I want, then sell off what's left.

A few body mounts look like this

The passenger side of the frame is rotted through, not sure I want to drive it on a road.

chadridesabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

$1000 tops.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
77351wcj5
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just offer to buy the doors?
77351wcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
chadridesabike
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77351wcj5 View Post
Just offer to buy the doors?
He wants it gone from what I gathered but I think I'll offer some $$ for the half doors.
chadridesabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Jeepsr4me

There is some parts to be had from it. The rims and tires are worth a good chunk. I have parted a few out and when you get to taking things off and selling
The money piles up. Grill, all kinds of parts under hood, interior trim pieces, trans, tank and pump.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
There is some parts to be had from it. The rims and tires are worth a good chunk. I have parted a few out and when you get to taking things off and selling
The money piles up. Grill, all kinds of parts under hood, interior trim pieces, trans, tank and pump.
Yeah, I see stuff all the time on Craigslist. Doors, axles, grills, etc. Does it have any nerf bars or steps? And plenty of people sell the factory bumpers off of them. Even seats, if they're in decent condition.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
SightlierDuke23
1996 XJ Cherokee 

If you are willing to part it out yourself, there could be money to be made, as long as the price is right. for $500 there is money to be made. $1000? might take some time to make your money back. but it is still there. wouldn't go more than that. IMHO.
SightlierDuke23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.