97 TJ 2.5 automatic tries to die and backfires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 97 TJ 2.5 automatic tries to die and backfires

TERAFLEX JK Speed bump kit AND limiting strap kit!! AT ROCRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread Today, 08:26 AM   #1
Malary

97 TJ 2.5 automatic tries to die and backfires

Ok so here's the deal. Just got this jeep on Saturday. Drove it the 2 hours home, did just fine. Had an engine light on when I bought it. Got it checked before purchase. It was the bank one sensor one O2 sensor. No biggy right. Well got it home got a new sensor and changed it. Drive fine the next 2 days. Here it is the 3rd day after purchase. I start it up in the morning before work and let it warm up. Just like the day before. Idles just fine. Get in and head to work. All seems fine. I get about 8 mins down the road and it starts to jerk and sputter like it needs gas. So I push down on the gas. Jerking and sputter stops and is driving fine again. While it did the sputtering though, my battery, rpm and fuel gauge all go crazy. Then back to normal when I push the gas and it smooths out. It does this same thing over and over while heading to work. I noticed it did it more often if I was coasting or not giving it much gas (down a hill, behind a slow poke) stop at a red light, runs fine. Take off just fine. I go to slow down going down the hill to turn into my work. It back fires so loud in sure flames shot out. (That will wake you up) I push the gas to get up my hill at work. Turn into my parking lot. Slowing down so I can park. Pull straight into the parking spot and it dies on me. Key still on, still in drive, just dies. I'm pissed. Call my husband and tell him what all happened. He says to see if it will start up since it died. Starts right up. What the heck is going on!?!? Someone please tell me where to start on this or what may be happening. This is my daily driver so... And I just bought it. Ugh?!

Malary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 11:23 AM   #2
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it could be the crank position sensor

Sent from my Note 4 using my thumb
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 12:00 PM   #3
Jeepsr4me

Start with free stuff 1st.. Clean the throttle body and the idle air motor and housing..
Easy to remove and do it than try while on jeep..
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 12:09 PM   #4
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwch99tj View Post
Sounds like it could be the crank position sensor

Sent from my Note 4 using my thumb
I second this. That sensor causes funky issues. Easy to change and fairly cheap. Also check the pick up coil inside the distributor. Cheap and takes 2 minutes to change. I had a lot of headaches over that sensor that caused the same issues.

My build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-tj-college-build-1186424/
wrscpc07 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 01:11 PM   #5
Malary

Thanks, I've been researching all day on what it could be. A lot of people having similar issues say the cps or tps. Gonna give those a go and see what happens since I already put a new upstream O2 sensor in. I don't think that's the issue.
Unread Today, 01:15 PM   #6
Malary

Also going to clean the throttle body as well and make sure all grounds are secure and all that.
Unread Today, 01:24 PM   #7
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malary View Post
Thanks, I've been researching all day on what it could be. A lot of people having similar issues say the cps or tps. Gonna give those a go and see what happens since I already put a new upstream O2 sensor in. I don't think that's the issue.
I've had an o2 sensor give me some backfiring but not many other issues you mentioned. Tps sensor you will mostly feel under acceleration. It'll sort of skip a bit, idle may be high or low. But the dash acting funky is what makes the cps or pick up coil act up. Both sensors like to throw out multiple issues

Also, those sensors usually act fine until the jeep heats up..then they start to act up

My build:
Unread Today, 04:13 PM   #8
Malary

Update, can't even get home. Got off work. Went out to start it and it seemed to start and the died. Tried again, same thing. Tried again and gave it gas while I started it. It started. I let it idle for a minute. Put it in reverse to back out of the parking spot and it died half way out of the spot. Tired to start it again, tries to start but dies. Put in neutral and pushed it back into the parking spot.
Unread Today, 04:20 PM   #9
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Update, can't even get home. Got off work. Went out to start it and it seemed to start and the died. Tried again, same thing. Tried again and gave it gas while I started it. It started. I let it idle for a minute. Put it in reverse to back out of the parking spot and it died half way out of the spot. Tired to start it again, tries to start but dies. Put in neutral and pushed it back into the parking spot.
also check the fuel pump..i like to do that by pouring a little bit of gas in the throttle body and if it starts and stays running, its the pump. happened to me, but once it died from the pump it wouldnt start again unless i did that. my pick up coil allowed it to start when completely cool but would shut down minutes later and wouldnt start till hours later

My build:
Unread Today, 04:38 PM   #10
Malary

Waiting on my husband to get here. I can't really do anything till he gets here. I have no tools or anything. Just sitting in the work parking lot. It's been sitting all day long so it's not warmed up or anything like that.
Unread Today, 04:41 PM   #11
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Waiting on my husband to get here. I can't really do anything till he gets here. I have no tools or anything. Just sitting in the work parking lot. It's been sitting all day long so it's not warmed up or anything like that.
Ya so it started after sitting all day while working. And now it won't start again. I bet that when you get home it might start up. We all know what it feels like to be stranded, it sucks.

My build:
Unread Today, 05:30 PM   #12
Malary

Husband got to my work, opens hood, does nothing and closes hood cuz there was nothing he could really do at my work to fix it. Gets in it and starts it right up doesn't die. Drives it around my parking lot. No issues. Let's it sit and idle, no issues. Decides to rev it, it hesitates and the back fires, battery gauge drops and engine light flickers, revs it another time. Revs just fine. Drives it around parking lot again. No issues tells me to get in an rev it, hesitates and same as always. Do it again. No issues. I say screw it just let me get it home. I drive like I'm in a nascar race to get it home taking back roads. After being on the road for a few mins it does the same as orginal. Acts like it's not getting gas, jerks a little, rpm and battery gauge drop, engine light flickers, I stomp the gas pedal to rev it and it clears out. Makes it the rest of the way home (10 mins) no issues. Sits at red lights and stop signs just fine. Get home turn it off and go inside. Waiting in husband to get here. Like I said nascar driving, I left him.
Unread Today, 05:32 PM   #13
Malary

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrscpc07 View Post
Quote:
Ya so it started after sitting all day while working. And now it won't start again. I bet that when you get home it might start up. We all know what it feels like to be stranded, it sucks.
And no when I tried to start it, it started and died like one second later. Did that about 6 times in a row. Then I pushed the gas while starting and it started up, put in gear and it died. I had to push it to the parking spot, he got there and it started right up for him.
Unread Today, 05:50 PM   #14
Malary

Husband though my cat may be clogged up. So he looks under it to find the cat, guess what I have no cat.
Unread Today, 06:16 PM   #15
Malary

Well since I'm out of funds till Friday, husband cleaned the throttle body. And just took it down the road to see what happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.