'97 still giving me problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '97 still giving me problems

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 11-28-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
MadDawg

'97 still giving me problems

I'm STILL getting codes 11 and 12 and I've had the Jeep at the Dealer 3x. They've replaced all the sensors 2x, checked the Jeep on their computer and whatever else it is that they say they do. I get an hour out of the Jeep and the codes are right back!!!!

There is NO NOISE, NO POWER LOSS, NOTHING!!!

Any ideas???? They wanna leave the Jeep there and let a Tech come in, but I'd like to have some info so they don't experiment on MY Jeep!!!

Thanks

MadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
kreepykrawler

what do those codes mean?
Unread 11-29-2005, 05:44 AM   #3
BORY
TJ Wrangler 

i know from shop and work that every time you clear codes from a computer it takes 45 minutes of driving at different speeds and braking and accelerating to make a new run through for the computer so i was say check all the fuses and check at the connection sfor the sensors and i dont know what else so say but GOOD LUCK!!!
BORY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2005, 06:14 AM   #4
blang4d

'97 still giving me problems

I have a '97 TJ and have had the check engine light come on too, but not in a while. I've heard that TJs are prone to this and a lot of times, there isn't really anything wrong, other than some glitch that turns the light on. The last time this happened to me, I just disconnected/reconnected the battery. That resets the computer and should turn the light out. If there's a real problem, the light should come on again...if it's just the glitch, it should stay out.
blang4d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2005, 08:20 AM   #5
J33ptj97!

Here's what code 11 means -

11 No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking. Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. CKP sensor target windows have too much variation.
Unread 11-29-2005, 11:02 AM   #6
MadDawg

Both the dealer and myself have reset the computer a dozen or more times. They can't seem to find anything wrong. They replaced the crank and cam sensors along with a handful of other things they figured they could sell me while I was there!!! I've resorted to pulling the bulb from behind the cluster so I don't have to see the light. Every other day, I just cycle the codes to make sure there isn't anything new... but this is getting old FAST!!!

Anyone...??? Bueller....??? Bueller...???
Unread 11-30-2005, 05:55 AM   #7
BORY
TJ Wrangler 

it happened twice since i owned the jeep in 2 weeks and after a day of normal driving from home to skool then to work and home again the CEL goes out i was like wtf.
Unread 11-30-2005, 07:08 AM   #8
htownjeep
What's that noise?

From what J33 said maybe it's got a bad sensor still or some bad/crimped wiring. I know you said they replaced it but it's possible they could still be bad. Did they check the wiring pretty good?
Unread 11-30-2005, 06:49 PM   #9
BORY
TJ Wrangler 

correction 3 times now as of today
Unread 11-30-2005, 11:04 PM   #10
MadDawg

Well, like I said, I've had it back 3 times and the guy I go to is the best in the area (referred to me by a close friend). He's been working on Jeeps for 30+ years. He keeps saying that the computer is saying everything is OK, but the darn light just keeps coming back on!!!
Unread 12-01-2005, 05:52 AM   #11
BORY
TJ Wrangler 

could u swap a computer from a 98 or 99 4.oL or something
Unread 12-01-2005, 07:14 AM   #12
servozn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a good link for codes:
http://www.dirtroadmagazine.com/codes.htm

As for the light coming back on, it sounds to me like you have a short somewhere between your crank sensor and computer. Since your jeep is running fine, I am presuming your crack sensor and computer are both working fine. The only problem you are having is the CEL, so that would make me believe you have a short somewhere...
electrical problems are a HUGE PITA. Good luck.
HTH
Unread 12-01-2005, 11:20 AM   #13
MadDawg

Funny, because there is an alarm installed and I can't use it, because I always said it seems like there is a voltage problem. The thing will chirp for no reason and activate even if it's on a flat surface and nothing or no one near it. Maybe, I'll reverse the install and see if that does anything!! It was there when I got the Jeep, so I'll be jumping in to this one blind!
Unread 12-01-2005, 12:16 PM   #14
J33ptj97!

Dawg, funny you mention this because I had a very similar issue when I got my 97 TJ and it wouldn't pass inspection. I yanked all of the alarm wiring and cleared the codes, and then it was good to go. I think even the slightest bad wiring/grounding can cause the computer to give all sorts of unrelated errors.
Unread 12-01-2005, 07:29 PM   #15
BobboTJ

I would put money on this being a wiring issue (grounds). The other day I had the code 11. I knew the connectors on my battery cables were kind of crappy, so I replaced them, bam no more code. When you take it to the dealership tell them to start testing the sensors with a voltometer(sp?). They should have specs there that say what they should be running at. Good luck
-Black Steelies
-Custom Fabbed Front Bumper
-Herculined Tub
Comin soon-4.10's, 1" BL/MML, Skids
BobboTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.