How many positions does your ignition have

• three positions with a button to rmove the key

Votes: 74 85.1%
  • two psitions without a button to remove the key

Votes: 13 14.9%

97 owners please read!!!!!!

10K views 33 replies 28 participants last post by  hawaii 
#1 ·
My 97 tj has a three position ignition switch (acc, off, and on), and a button you have to push to get the key out of the ignition, but my friends 97 only has 2 positions on his ignition switch(on and off) and no button you have to push to get the key out. What gives?

#8 ·
That explains the button, but why wouldn't they have an acc position?

#14 ·
I have a '97 TJ with a 3 speed auto. No button and has three positions on the ignition. Key turned towards you = acc. position, middle = off position, and key turned away from you = on position.

#16 ·
5 speed with a button

it might have a 3rd position, you sure it isnt turning the key towards you?

thats there "Accessory" is. if you put the key in, turn it once, thats run, then push it more thats start, you need to turn it back past wwhen you put it in originally to make it accessory

#18 ·
Tri_X_Troll said:
I still fail to see the safty aspect of the button on a stick>
Me either.. I'm sure Jerry knows this one.. he knows everything.

'97 5-spd with a button and acc.

#20 ·
Why wouldn't autos have the same thing?

#24 ·
well now, i dont want to sound stupid, as i usually wind up doing....

but when i first went to test drive a jeep wrangler... i drove it around the block a few times, pulled back into the dealership...( i was alone ) and i spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how the hell to ge the key out.... Never even saw that button.

But hey when i did figure it out, man did it feel good:thumbsup:

#25 ·
Beefstew202 said:
well now, i dont want to sound stupid, as i usually wind up doing....

but when i first went to test drive a jeep wrangler... i drove it around the block a few times, pulled back into the dealership...( i was alone ) and i spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how the hell to ge the key out.... Never even saw that button.

But hey when i did figure it out, man did it feel good:thumbsup:
Don't trip, dang thing got me the first time too... Now if it gets to every couple of days, well...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.