97 OBD II plug - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 97 OBD II plug

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 07-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
CuminsChris
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 OBD II plug

This has been driving me crazy! I own a 1997 TJ, 4cyl. manual Trans. In the State of Georgia, if you live in the Atlanta metro area. You have to have your vehicle emission inspected. They do this by hooking up to the OBD II plug. Mine does not work! Code readers will not even work! I have check and there are voltages on this plug, but I do not if they are correct. The Jeep runs great! Dash works properly. Lights come on and go off normal when it is started. But the OBD II plug will not connect to any device. Has anyone ever heard of or come across this problem before?

CuminsChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Does your check engine light work?
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
lostone73
2000 TJ Wrangler 

First, check your cigarette lighter. does it work? all fuses must be good for the ALDL(assembly line data link) to work right. checkall of your fuses. I speak from having the same issues when I moved to Tx. from La.

Let us know,
Bert
lostone73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
JohnF
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I work in a repair shop. Every instance of the OBD plug not working has led to a blown fuse. Many share with cigarette lighter or power outlet. Check your fuse listing, it may read DLC(Data Link Connector) or similar
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The data link connector gets power from fuse 17 in the PDC. Same as the courtesy lamps and radio/cluster permanent live.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
CuminsChris
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the good info guys. I have checked Every fuse in both boxes, The one under the Hood and The other behind the glove box. I will check again. I have noticed while having the entire dash torn apart that there is a cluster of plugs that are secured into a wire distribution block behind the left audio speaker. There is one plug the bottom plug that has been cut. I believe this goes to the Original radio. There is a aftermarket radio that was install prior to my ownership of the vehicle. You guys have got the brain working again. This could possibly be the area to look. I will rewire the radio as it should be. Let me know if you guys can come up with any other info.

Thanks again for your help

Chris
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you need help finding out what all the wires go to have a look at the factory service manual on line at Jeep Service Manuals

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
finalreckoning
1997 TJ Wrangler 

1997 TJs didn't have OBDII, they had the older OBDI.
Good luck finding an OBDI reader.
Green Jeep Member #273
High School Jeepers #169
finalreckoning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
George Dickel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalreckoning View Post
Huh? This is news to me. They both utilize a 16 pin data connector...
12 Counterweight 258 Crank (cut snout-casting #3214723), Sealed Power +.030 Hypereutectic Pistons, 5.875" Connecting Rods, CompCams 68-231-4, Ported/Polished Head, Edelbrock Header, 24# Ford Blue-top Injectors, 63mm bored OEM Throttle Body, Port matched Intake, Autolite Platinum plugs, Accel Coil, LiveWires Distributor & Wires, Centerforce Clutch, Hurst Shifter, modified Mustang GT Air Cannister - CAI, 18" Magnaflow and 2 1/2" exhaust, Balanced Rotating Assembly, Custom PCM tune.
Yeah, I built it!

Exhaust clip: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUOa4LqRn0&feature=youtu.be[/url]

[B]'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L[/B]
Light modifications[/SIZE]

[I][B]Read more, Post less, Search often[/B][/I]
George Dickel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalreckoning View Post
Incorrect obd2 started in 96 my 97 is obd2 compliant. Look at the sticker under the hood
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
CuminsChris
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The Tj rolled off the assembly line in 3-96, but was sold as a 97 year model. As far as I can see, They did not sell a 96 model. that was the year they switched over to the new style. Round headlights, coil springs etc. I am also pretty sure that the OBD I & OBD II plugs are way different.
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am not an idiot I am fully aware of when TJ's came out mine was made 5/96 and titled as a 97 what I mean is industry wide obd2 came out in 96 which applies to our TJ's
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #13
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 is OBDII, in Colorado they hook to the car during emissions and It clearly says on the TV screen when they plug in, "OBDII Connection complete". I've also used OBDII scanners at advanced auto parts to clear codes. PLUS you can read codes through the odometer, which I believe can only be done with OBDII cars.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #14
CuminsChris
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, I was referring to Finalreckoning post. Not yours Devil Dog. I totally agree with you

I know it is a OBD II. I need to figure out why it will not connect with any devices. ie. Emissions, Code readers
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #15
finalreckoning
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry about that. I had been told somewhere that the 98+ were OBDII, not the 97.
Thanks for correcting me!
(I'd always figured that's why 97 had the error code readout, and 98 didn't, and after 98, they were P- codes)
Green Jeep Member #273
High School Jeepers #169
finalreckoning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
OBD II , error , malfunction , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.