95 Motor in 02 TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 Motor in 02 TJ?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Corbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!Bds suspension discount

Unread Yesterday, 06:29 PM   #1
sportster07
2002 TJ Wrangler 

95 Motor in 02 TJ?

Hey, first off I cracked the block on my 2.5L 4cyl in my 02 TJ. I am looking to get it up and running as soon as possible as it's a fun little toy and nice to drive. I'm not overly mechanical so I was going to have a friend of my father's do the actual swap but I was wondering if much changed from 95 to 02, if all the wiring and stuff will work or will I run into any problems?

Both jeeps are 2.5L standards. As far as anything else about the other one, I am not sure.

sportster07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 06:59 PM   #2
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

Lots changed. For starters, your 02 is OBDII, the 95 is OBDI. Not sure about your inspection laws, but here I believe it has to be the same year or newer engine, or at the very least the same OBD level to pass.
audiophonicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:07 PM   #3
Jeepsr4me

I must say this 3 or 4 times a week. the 2.5 long block will bolt in NO PROBLEMS.. transfer all your components to it and you good to go...
The long block of the 2.5 from 1985ish to 2002 are all interchangeable. Only thing that I have not checked is the oil filter.. Someone stumped me the other day and asked if they the same. I do not know that.. But since you will have both engines setting side by side. TRY AND SEe....

dodge and cherokee 2.5 engine work too...
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 07:45 AM   #4
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
I must say this 3 or 4 times a week. the 2.5 long block will bolt in NO PROBLEMS.. transfer all your components to it and you good to go...
The long block of the 2.5 from 1985ish to 2002 are all interchangeable. Only thing that I have not checked is the oil filter.. Someone stumped me the other day and asked if they the same. I do not know that.. But since you will have both engines setting side by side. TRY AND SEe....

dodge and cherokee 2.5 engine work too...
This^^^

Swap all your external components to the 95 long block and you'll be fine, it'd be the same if you went and picked up a reman long block and installed it

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using my thumb
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.