Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

The 888888 problem, I've read and read

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  rfoster458 
#1 ·
I know this has been discussed many many times, but I have replaced all fuses and I'm stilling getting the 888888 on the odometer. I'm trying to buy this Jeep from my work but they can't/won't get rid of it until they know what the mileage is. I've pulled the gauge cluster and put it back in and unhooked the battery and then re-hooked it up. I've replaced the IOD fuse and just about all the other fuses to just to make sure, but it still has the 888888 reading in the odometer.

Has anyone ever heard of the stock radio causing any problems with this? I only ask because when I turn the Jeep on the radio starts clicking and tries to eject a cd that isn't there and I know replacing the stock stereo sometimes causes problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The next thing I was going to try is to replace the gauge cluster but I don't know if that will help or not. I just sold my 97' Wrangler and I need to figure out what is wrong with this Jeep so I can make it mine, it's so frustrating! :brickwall

Thanks,
Rob

#2 ·
Maybe it really has 888888 miles on it. . . :rofl:

I got the reading after replacing my stock head unit and didnt notcie for a couple days, but all i did was unplug the unit, the battery, and then reconnect and it was fine. . .

#3 ·
I think the head unit issue is just a coincidence.

I'd just plan on replacing the cluster. My understanding is that any mileage logged while the odometer was offline does not get recorded at all. The dealer re-programs the cluster when it's installed.

I'm not certain this is the case, but in my dealing with the issue myself and talking with people, thats how I think it''ll work out for you.

I never replaced mine but I'm almost certain that's the problem. I plugged another persons cluster in mine and it worked fine, but displayed their mileage. :laugh:

Tom

#4 ·
I called the dealer and they won't sell me a cluster without a worker order registered with them and they have to switch it out and the part alone will cost $670! That is such crap. Anybody have any other ideas? I don't have one I could switch out with because I sold my 97' already and I don't have any friends around here that have a TJ. This sucks!:brickwall

#5 ·
rfoster458 said:
I called the dealer and they won't sell me a cluster without a worker order registered with them and they have to switch it out and the part alone will cost $670! That is such crap. Anybody have any other ideas? I don't have one I could switch out with because I sold my 97' already and I don't have any friends around here that have a TJ. This sucks!:brickwall
salvage yard?

#6 ·
I've been calling salvage yards all day and none around me have any. I'm going to keep trying to find places that might have one but no luck as of yet.

#8 ·
Problem is the mileage is stored seperately in the cluster and the pcm. If you replace the cluster it will show the mileage of the new cluster. Are you sure its just not a bad connection. I know some model years the cluster pins wouldn't make a good connection and over time you had to pull the cluster and fix the pins.

#9 ·
I'm going to try that again and see if it works. I only cleaned the connection the first time. Luckily I called and talked to the service manager at another dealership and he had me go there and he hooked up the computer to it so he could get the mileage for me. Hopefully now I can at least complete the sale. Thanks for everyone's help. I'll try the messing with the connection some more and let you know what happens.

#12 ·
rfoster458 said:
I'm going to try that again and see if it works. I only cleaned the connection the first time. Luckily I called and talked to the service manager at another dealership and he had me go there and he hooked up the computer to it so he could get the mileage for me. Hopefully now I can at least complete the sale. Thanks for everyone's help. I'll try the messing with the connection some more and let you know what happens.
Take the cluster off again and really clean the conections then slightly twist the pins so that they make more contact and put dialectric grease on them and put it back together..

#13 ·
Tried it and no luck at all again. I guess I'm just going to try to find a cluster either here in the parts section, salvage yard, or ebay. I did however run the codes and this is what I got:

Of course at the beginning I got the Sof 4.0,
then it gave me the numbers: 794654 Does anyone know what this means?

Then at the end I got 05-00

Any code help would be great.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.