8.8 Parking Brake Cables - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-16-2016, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
aestrad1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

8.8 Parking Brake Cables

97 TJ 4.0 AX-15.

Recently swapped in a 8.8, which works great, except for the Parking brake. I ordered the Cables from ECGS and the brake still doesnt grab. Parking brake shoes are in good shape, the cables are just too long. I tried tightening then with luck. Called ECGS and they said the 8.8 cables just dont hold well (seems like BS to me).

Has anyone else had this issue? How did you resolve?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-16-2016, 10:39 AM
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah the 8.8 cables are known for sucking. I tried new shoes for it and tightening it to the max with the adjuster on the tub and neither helped really.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-16-2016, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
aestrad1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone tried the Black Magic reverse bracket kit? How much does it help?

I have it sitting in my garage, just debating the amount of work needed to install it.

http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Wiz...D-BRACKETS.htm
post #4 of 19 Old 05-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Line58
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Have you adjusted the brake side yet?

For some reason by parking brake works wonderfully at keeping me from rolling backwards, but not at all forwards.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-16-2016, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
aestrad1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I adjusted both ends and cant get it to hold. I even had my mechanic look at it and he said the cables were too long.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-16-2016, 10:56 AM
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Blains black magic cables do make the parking brake hold a lot better, but I did have to grind down the tabs of the cables to fit into the round piece of the adapters. Not a big deal, just kind of tricky. I'm happy with the end result as the ebrake holds better and the calipers are flipped forward for outboarding shocks. BTW I used 2006 wrangler parking brake cables from NAPA
post #7 of 19 Old 05-16-2016, 11:24 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestrad1 View Post
I adjusted both ends and cant get it to hold. I even had my mechanic look at it and he said the cables were too long.
If the cables are too long relative to the cable housing it is because they are using ZJ parking brake cables because they are cheaper.

Properly adjusted, the parking brake handles sets hard about 3 clicks up from the bottom.

Adjust the shoes at the drums first with the tire off the ground until there is some resistance turning the tire by hand. Go for a short drive slowly and lift and lower the brake handle a few times to apply some brake while rolling to bed the shoes into the shape of the inner drum wall.

Go back and re-adjust the shoes again to the same slight resistance and then adjust the cables at the splitter snug but not tight enough to move the levers.

If the cables won't tighten correctly, remove the nut and add a considerable stack of washers onto the threaded part to take up some space so they can be adjusted correctly.

We did that for years until the Rubicon came out and we could buy the right cables.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-16-2016, 12:46 PM
wild1joker
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have a similar problem. I also have a 8.8 from ECGS. Mine has disc brakes though. What cables can I use to correct this ? I have my adjuster tightened as far as I can and not even close to working.

2001 4.0,32rh,35-KO2's,hp30,8.8 4.56's,lockrite, Sye, .Rear adj arms. MC rear bar- 1"mml 1 1/4 BL
post #9 of 19 Old 05-16-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
aestrad1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
If the cables are too long relative to the cable housing it is because they are using ZJ parking brake cables because they are cheaper.

Properly adjusted, the parking brake handles sets hard about 3 clicks up from the bottom.

Adjust the shoes at the drums first with the tire off the ground until there is some resistance turning the tire by hand. Go for a short drive slowly and lift and lower the brake handle a few times to apply some brake while rolling to bed the shoes into the shape of the inner drum wall.

Go back and re-adjust the shoes again to the same slight resistance and then adjust the cables at the splitter snug but not tight enough to move the levers.

If the cables won't tighten correctly, remove the nut and add a considerable stack of washers onto the threaded part to take up some space so they can be adjusted correctly.

We did that for years until the Rubicon came out and we could buy the right cables.
Which cables do you now use and where do you source them? Ill try your steps but would like a back up option if needed.

Thanks.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-16-2016, 01:15 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have OEM TJ rear disc parking brake cables NIB sitting at the house. If no one posts them I can look and post the PNs when I get home tonight.

My RHD TJ - Savvy equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #11 of 19 Old 05-16-2016, 01:51 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestrad1 View Post
Which cables do you now use and where do you source them? Ill try your steps but would like a back up option if needed.

Thanks.
I only use OEM at this point and will until they no longer make them. I get them from the dealer.

But, that very likely isn't your problem if you apply the fix to the adjuster. It isn't that the cable is too long, it is just too long for the length of the cable housing.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #12 of 19 Old 05-16-2016, 02:53 PM
TJ4Jim
1999 TJ Wrangler 

When I did my rear disc conversion last year with the Grand Cherokee hardware I found the new stock GC cables were to long also, so I removed the spacer from the adjuster assembly under the tub and picked up several inches. I removed the part that looks like a bent nail and the coulping.
Attached Thumbnails
20160516_164449.jpg  

If you come to a fork in the road take it.
post #13 of 19 Old 05-16-2016, 06:22 PM
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ4Jim View Post
When I did my rear disc conversion last year with the Grand Cherokee hardware I found the new stock GC cables were to long also, so I removed the spacer from the adjuster assembly under the tub and picked up several inches. I removed the part that looks like a bent nail and the coulping.
That's what I had to do too
post #14 of 19 Old 05-16-2016, 06:53 PM
lindel
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've got an ECGS 8.8, with discs, and after adjusting the brake shoes, I was able to take up enough slack to get the e-brakes to lock down on about the 4th click. I used the cables I ordered with the axle. I haven't had any issues with them being too long, or not staying where they belong.

Lindel
His: 1999 TJ Sport
Hers: 1987 Grand Wagoneer
post #15 of 19 Old 05-16-2016, 08:07 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTWeezul View Post
That's what I had to do too
You don't have to remove anything permanently. Just add some washers or do like I used to and cut a piece of tube about an inch long, remove the nut, slide the spacer over the threaded section and put the nut back on.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.