8.8 from ECGS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 8.8 from ECGS

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 04-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
melx3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

8.8 from ECGS

I've decided to take the 8.8 route for my jeep. I'm ordering my 8.8 from ECGS but I'm not sure which lift height to select. I have 4" coils that have sagged down a bit over time and a high clearance skid that has significantly raised the transfer case. Would I be better off getting the brackets welded on for a 4-5" lift or for a 5.5-6.5" lift to compensate for the higher transfer case?
Thanks

melx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
dkrajcovic
1998 TJ Wrangler 

call ECGS & talk to them they will fix you right up
for they have great customer service
dkrajcovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

^ Chase can tell you what you need to know.
sjones26573 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure you let them know if you're running a CV driveshaft or not because that changes everything about how the axle is set up. Also factor in an potential future mods you plan on doing because they will build the axle for now, not later, unless you tell them otherwise.

I run one under one of my rigs and it's pure beef and they built I right, but I had issues when I switched to an SYE/CV combo, and I had issues when I installed my Currie rear trackbar as well.
Unread 04-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
melx3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help everyone, I am going to call them to see what they say.
Unread 04-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
melx3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Make sure you let them know if you're running a CV driveshaft or not because that changes everything about how the axle is set up. Also factor in an potential future mods you plan on doing because they will build the axle for now, not later, unless you tell them otherwise.

I run one under one of my rigs and it's pure beef and they built I right, but I had issues when I switched to an SYE/CV combo, and I had issues when I installed my Currie rear trackbar as well.
Thank you, Luckily I already have the sye & cv. I do have a stock rear trackbar with a bracket that attaches it to the axle though.

What type of issues did you run into with the currie rear track bar? I really like the idea of a TJ bolt in 8.8

Did you have yours sent with new bearings and seals? I am probably going to get mine shipped with good used shafts, used bearings, stock gears, and have the gears done locally. I don't mind used bearings as long as they're functional.
Unread 04-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melx3 View Post
Thank you, Luckily I already have the sye & cv. I do have a stock rear trackbar with a bracket that attaches it to the axle though.

What type of issues did you run into with the currie rear track bar? I really like the idea of a TJ bolt in 8.8

Did you have yours sent with new bearings and seals? I am probably going to get mine shipped with good used shafts, used bearings, stock gears, and have the gears done locally. I don't mind used bearings as long as they're functional.
The ECGS trackbar bracket was to skinny for the Currie JJ at the axle side and we had to pry the bracket open to get it to go in.
Unread 04-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #8
tearin_updirt

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Get the C-Clip eliminator!!!!!! It sucks without them eliminated................. TRUST ME!!!

Little Mudder
tearin_updirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #9
melx3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearin_updirt
Get the C-Clip eliminator!!!!!! It sucks without them eliminated................. TRUST ME!!!

THANK YOU! I am going to look into that.
Unread 04-02-2014, 01:12 AM   #10
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearin_updirt View Post
From what I understand, breaking 8.8 axles is not common place. I assume you've broken some? I guess I'm impressed as that isn't that easy to do with those.
AntiPrius is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
tearin_updirt

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiPrius View Post

From what I understand, breaking 8.8 axles is not common place. I assume you've broken some? I guess I'm impressed as that isn't that easy to do with those.
8.8 axle shafts are great but I have broken a couple and if you dont bring gear oil and RTV on the trail with you you have to Jerry rig something to hold the wheel back in. Also they are a huge PITA and I just installed a rear ox locker and the hardest part of the install was removing the carrier bolt to attach the c clips and reinstall them. So when I get more money I am buying yukon super 88 for more 8.8

Little Mudder
tearin_updirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
watsoc08
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just put the Yukon Super 8.8 kit in and I think it is definitely worth the investment if you plan to wheel with a lot of contact on the skinny pedal. It also get the wheelbase pretty close to stock width.
watsoc08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.