8.8 e-brake cables - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 8.8 e-brake cables

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 01-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
goldswim5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

8.8 e-brake cables

I'm finally gonna get some ZJ cables to hook up my ebrake. Found some on Napa for a total of 65, and on Rock-auto totaling around 50. I guess it really doesn't matter what brand or anything I get, as long as they are ZJ ebrake cables right? I just want to make sure I don't end up ordering the wrong thing.

Unread 01-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
epeck87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i used rubicon tj brake cables. rubicons came with disc brakes in the rear. the cherokee cables will work too and are probably easier to find if ur not buying new
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I believe these will work...and cheaper too...
1994-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Parking Brake Cable Crown Jeep Parking Brake Cable 52008904
1994-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Parking Brake Cable Crown Jeep Parking Brake Cable 52008905

08 F150 5.4L, Super 40 SIDO, Roush Grille, Edge Evolution, Truxport, 2.5" AS Level, 1.5" AAL, 35x12.5x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
wrangler2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
goldswim5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeck87 View Post
i used rubicon tj brake cables. rubicons came with disc brakes in the rear. the cherokee cables will work too and are probably easier to find if ur not buying new
I actually crawled under my Cherokee a while back thinking of pirating the brake lines off it, but they're drum brakes so they won't work. Unless some Cherokee's had discs I'm not aware of?
Unread 03-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
seabass2020
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So, parking brake cables to a wrangler with disk brakes is a direct swap for the 8.8?
seabass2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass2020 View Post
So, parking brake cables to a wrangler with disk brakes is a direct swap for the 8.8?
Yes they are a direct swap. Any TJ with rear discs from 03 to 06 will fit perfectly as will the ones from a Grand Cherokee in the ZJ flavor which was from 95 to 98 that came with discs as standard equipment. Rear discs were optional in 93 and 94 on the GC.
Unread 03-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
goldswim5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Yes they are a direct swap. Any TJ with rear discs from 03 to 06 will fit perfectly as will the ones from a Grand Cherokee in the ZJ flavor which was from 95 to 98 that came with discs as standard equipment. Rear discs were optional in 93 and 94 on the GC.
Thanks for clearing that up Blaine, I didn't know the Wrangler cables would work too.
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #8
Lasher
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have an 8.8 out of a 2000 Explorer. I bought the cables noted above but they did not fit. They fit on the jeep side but would not work on the axle side. On the axle side it has a hook instead of the catch for the cylinder type end. I was going to make a loop in the end of the cable and cinch it but wasn't sure if it would fray the cable over time or make it to short causing the brakes to drag. Is there another cable that will work or a safe way to modify the ones above to fit?
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #9
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
I have an 8.8 out of a 2000 Explorer. I bought the cables noted above but they did not fit. They fit on the jeep side but would not work on the axle side. On the axle side it has a hook instead of the catch for the cylinder type end. I was going to make a loop in the end of the cable and cinch it but wasn't sure if it would fray the cable over time or make it to short causing the brakes to drag. Is there another cable that will work or a safe way to modify the ones above to fit?
If you're referencing the Crown parts in the link above and they don't work, it's because Crown has the parts incorrect for the application. There were no drum brakes on the Grand Cherokee in the years listed in the description of the parts. So, they have the part wrong and need to fix it.
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

FORD 8.8 TJ ADAPTER E-BRAKE CABLES
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #11
Lasher
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The brakes I have are disc and I am referring to the e brake cable. Is there another cable that you know of that has the elongated hoop type connector on the end that works for the 8.8? What i am asking is there a stock type cable that will work for this application or would I have to modify one? Thanks for the help.
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
Lasher
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks 99TJ.
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
Lasher
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So I found the one on Napa that might work.

Store Locator | NAPA Online P/N UP 95342
Store Locator | NAPA Online P/N UP 95547

Will these work?
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
The brakes I have are disc and I am referring to the e brake cable. Is there another cable that you know of that has the elongated hoop type connector on the end that works for the 8.8? What i am asking is there a stock type cable that will work for this application or would I have to modify one? Thanks for the help.
I've already answered this once in this thread- Again-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You can get the cables from the 94 ZJ as long as you specify rear discs.

Since you didn't get it the first time, parking brake cables from the following have the ball end at the tub and the rectangular loop at the axle AND the return spring and are a DIRECT SWAP as in PLUG AND PLAY as in NO MODIFICATIONS NEEDED.

03-06 TJ Rubicon
03-06 TJ with rear discs
94 Grand Cherokee with rear discs (you have to specify discs as drums were standard that year)
95-98 Grand Cherokee ANY as all had rear discs
If you have extended your wheelbase and need longer ones, any rear parking brake cables from an Unlimited will also work.
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #15
Lasher
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Now that makes more sense. Where I was getting lost was on the difference between the drum and disk on the ZJ. All I had to compare to was the cables on the D35. I assumed the mechanism was different on the ZJ and thats why they used the barrel ends. I wasn't asking for the disk break version when I bought the parts. I am not a mechanic by any means. But I did work on fighter Jets in the Navy so I have an understanding of how things work. Thanks for the more Brake Cables for Dummies explanation.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.