8.8 Build up questions - looking or some advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 8.8 Build up questions - looking or some advice

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 04-15-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
BNovak

8.8 Build up questions - looking or some advice

Ok, so I picked up an 8.8 from my local upullit today. $350 with brakes and even had the wheel spacers on it!

It's a 3.73 with an LSD, but the gears are gonna go. The axle had 96K original miles on it.

I figure before I install it I was going to tear it all down and rebuild anything that might need it. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Here's what I was thinking

1 - ditch the factory cover and replace it with something beefy

2 - Lockers - Thinking ARB front and rear, so that's a no brainer.

3 - axle shafts - anyone know if the "Lincoln / Mercury" alloy shafts on Randy's R&P will fit in here or any other ones that are out there to make it a bit stronger?

4 - Bearings, seals, etc. Does anyone know if there is a master rebuild kit availabel that has everything in it?

Thanks guys! I'm going to tack weld the tubes to the housing tonite so that's out of the way, and tomorrow is cutting off the factory brackets. Yay

Unread 04-15-2005, 11:32 PM   #2
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

well you need a diff cover cuz the stock one sucks, ARB yes. axle shafts not sure, make sure its 31 spline, was it out of a explorer?
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2005, 07:43 AM   #3
BNovak

Yeah it's out of an exploder so it's a 31 Spline. I'll probably put a PSC rock ring on it for a diff guard.

Just need to find shafts and gears for it. Would like to do 4.88's but the only thing I could find was Reverse cut.

-BN
Unread 04-16-2005, 08:50 AM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

There's tons of options for 4.88 gears for an 8.8. Are they just out of stock everywhere?

Also, keep in mind you'll need to run a modified cross-shaft pin or grind down the ring gear to run that low of gears.

You can get a nice set of axle shafts from Moser. But why not run the stock Ford shafts? They're plenty strong for most applications.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.