79 F250 D60 and D44 vs G2 D44s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 79 F250 D60 and D44 vs G2 D44s

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Jbecker
2005 TJ Wrangler 

79 F250 D60 and D44 vs G2 D44s

My plan is to lift my TJ to no larger than 35s. Right now it is stock, aside from the winch, custom bumper, and 30x9.50 A/Ts. Has a D30/D35 with 3.07 gearing. It's a dog.

Rear axle is my big cost adder in my lift budget. I plan on locking front and rear. My buddy just hit me with a find of '79 F250 Front D44 and Rear D60 geared in 4.10 for 550 for the set.

I'd REALLY like to go with 4.56 or 4.88 gearing, and ARB air lockers. The G2s can be bought with such a combo and they fit right in.

The ford axles would have to be regeared, locked, and have brackets welded on. All of which is WAY beyond my grasp. Nor do I have the equipment to weld brackets on.

So, what would you guys do? Ford axles or G2s? No matter what, I'm not putting any money in a D35. That's just the way it is.

Jbecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Jetscuh
O rly?

Do you want to/have the skill to do some fabricating in order to get those Ford axles underneath your TJ? Or do you want a direct bolt in?

That's what it really boils down to. Also take into consideration if those axles (from the Ford) are the correct side drop you need and if you want your axles to be that width.

I've found that 4.56's with the NSG370 transmission is a desirable combination for both on and off road.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Jbecker
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That's the problem I face. I've never tackled such a project. I can't weld worth a snot either. Dad is certified to repair boiler tubes. I guess if his welds can withstand high pressure steam they would work for axle tabs. I don't know if he would help me with the swap though.

They are proper side drop, drivers side. My buddy was eyeing them for his YJ, but decided he didn't want to spend any money on it.

A bolt in would be nice, but the cost isn't so kind.
Unread 11-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
Jetscuh
O rly?

Yes, the bolt in ones are pricey but a swap not specifically designed for a TJ can be as well.

You'll need brackets for the new axles, gears (if you want to regear), a locker (if you want that), time and a welder (plus some other tools) and also any brake parts or other hardware that may need replacing because the axles are old and it depends how well they've been maintained.

I am also not sure how much wider those axles are than a TJ's. Something to consider if that matters to you.

You'll also need new wheels if it's a different bolt pattern unless you can find wheel adapters or something.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
Woodenya
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I think if you boil it all down, those Ford axles aren't the bargain they 1st looked like......
'06 TJ [B]Rubi[/B] (Light Metalic Khaki) 6sp, Bought 3-10 w/6500 miles. 31 MTR's, UCF alum UHC T-case & engine skid w/ LoPro, Rokmen gas tank & steer gear skid, Ridler dif covers F/R, Warn 8274-50, Optima Yellow top, Pro Comp front 3/4" spacers, Currie 1" BL, Bomb Proof MML, Novak cable shifter, AGR Super Box 2, Warn rear bumper/tire carrier, Rubi locker mod/pumps moved to engine bay, OBA. Build to come...
Woodenya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Jbecker
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I believe you guys are correct!

I have time to save, I'm not doing anything suspension wise until my current tires wear out. I have about 30K left on them. As a weekend only ride, I've got a lot of time to save.

Trying to piece together a list of lift parts is so depressing...

Thanks for the help guys!
Unread 11-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
flimmy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is the 44 a hp or lp ? If its a lp I'd wait and find an hp.
flimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If it's a 79 Ford D44 then it's high pinion, has heavy duty 1/2" wall tubes, and 8 lug hubs... you can swap 5 lug hubs onto it from another Ford if you want 5 on 5.5" or something.

The rear D60 will require work... nobody wants them for a reason. You will NOT get 35 spline axles into them without taking the entire housing to a machine shop and having the spindles bored out to about 1.65" or so... there isn't enough clearance for 1.5" diameter axle shafts to pass through the spindles. Until then you're stuck with 30 spline(yeah.. D44 axle shaft size) and D60 clearance.

IMO they're great axles for a smaller TJ... like 37s to MAYBE 38s or less... but once you go that big you'll be like "dang... why didn't I just get a D60 front and a 14 bolt rear and I'd be good for 40s-42s."

FWIW I just bought my axles out of the blue and learned how to weld a couple months before I started my 1 ton swap... you can make them work if you put in the time to learn

For that price I'd buy them and just sit on them for a little while until you figure out what you want to do... worst case scenario you can turn around and resell them in the future. Clean them up nice and you can get a little more $ for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.