6 spd nightmare - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 6 spd nightmare

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
slengland

6 spd nightmare

Has anybody else had problems with the new 6 spd. I had mine replaced at 9200 miles, (no reverse-synchros wasted), now have 3000 miles on new tranny and I'm starting to notice rough gear changes again. Maybe I'm just the lucky one getting jeeps defective parts?

Steve E
05 tj x
Been in the shop so no time to mod!!!!!

slengland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Damn, that's a tough break. I have about 5000 miles on my '05 with 6 speed and it's been running flawlessly. Shifts great. A bit notchy sometimes when it's very cold but otherwise no complaints here. Hopefully it will continue to be this way.

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Dirty Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
jeepers*23

I have 10,000 on my 6 speed unlimited and no problems.
jeepers*23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
Blackbart

1000 Miles on mine, and it keeps popping out of first gear.

I took it to the dealership and they said that they cannot do anything till a tech has it do it to them.

My question was what the hell is the tech gonna do if he hears it?? There is nothing to go wrong externally, so either way it needs to be tore down.

They won't do it. Oh well, figure it will grenade someday.
Blackbart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2006, 06:43 PM   #5
175MM BULLDOG

15,000 on mine, hasn't missed a beat.
Unread 01-28-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
Frooch

Mine kinda "clacks" sometimes when going into Second when its cold. Feels like the linkage more than the Tranny though. Also, when cold... sometimes it grinds going into second. Again, I think this is related to the first problem.
Frooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2006, 09:51 PM   #7
Trebor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

my 05 6 speed unlimated also misses/kicks me out of 1st gear ONLY. it's a S.O.B. of a situation. i got it back in april may ish it's been doing it on and off some times it will take weeks inbetween incedents other times it will happen 3+ times a day. i now have 26k miles on it (i drive ALOT for work) and the dealership claims the same thing they can't do anything about it unless it does it for their tech. What a load of crap. anyone with any idea's? i mean it's a saftey hazard for crying out load not to mention i payed my money it should work. sorry to sound *****y but it's a soar subject. otherwise it's everything it should be. by the way after my own research i think i have it narrowed down to the syncros. but i'm not a mech. just another jeep cowboy.
Trebor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2006, 09:58 PM   #8
nhlbill

2015 JK Wrangler 

My 05 seems fine so far. I got mine in September 2005. It did have the "crunch" from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 3rd, but after a while, either I got used to shifting it, or the problem corrected itself with some miles, but now mine is great! I never had the "popping" out of first gear problem.

Anyway, there are several guys who swear by the Royal Purple brand and have changed their fluid and said that it helped. I was going to do that with mine, but my issues seemed to have worked themselves out.

Bill

Gone but not forgotten:
05 TJ Sport
RK 5.5" Long Arm, 1" Daystar BL
M.O.R.E. Bombproof 1" MML
AA SYE, RE CV Driveshaft
4.56's, ARB Super 30 Front, Detroit D44 w/Alloys Rear
35" BFG MT's
RK X-Factor steering, Currie Anti-Rock,
Nth oil pan skid, Rock Crusher Diff covers
Line X
OBA (Viair 450c System)
Trail Gear Rockers
Custom rear bumper/swing out
nhlbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2006, 10:37 PM   #9
06slvrrubi
Lovin' Life

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My 05 just turned over 14,000 and I haven't had any problems. It grinds going into 2nd only, but I have just gotten used to it and tried shifting a little slower.

2007 Avalanche LTZ
06slvrrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2006, 11:36 PM   #10
Aphelion79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor
my 05 6 speed unlimated also misses/kicks me out of 1st gear ONLY. it's a S.O.B. of a situation. i got it back in april may ish it's been doing it on and off some times it will take weeks inbetween incedents other times it will happen 3+ times a day. i now have 26k miles on it (i drive ALOT for work) and the dealership claims the same thing they can't do anything about it unless it does it for their tech. What a load of crap. anyone with any idea's? i mean it's a saftey hazard for crying out load not to mention i payed my money it should work. sorry to sound *****y but it's a soar subject. otherwise it's everything it should be. by the way after my own research i think i have it narrowed down to the syncros. but i'm not a mech. just another jeep cowboy.

Get all pissy and tell them to have the damn tech drive YOUR jeep and then they can do something about it... I hate dealerships with a passion...
Dana 30 Front | AMC 20 Rear
Aphelion79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2006, 01:37 AM   #11
drummerwookie

ive got just about 8000 on my 06 and the 6-speed is doing just fine, for now.....*knock on wood*

gone, but never forgotten: 2006 rubicon, 1998 ZJ, 1995 YJ 4.0

metalhead jeep club #4
drummerwookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2006, 02:08 AM   #12
175MM BULLDOG

The six speed does have a wide shift pattern. It takes time to adjust to it. It is possible to screw up the syncros if you are not careful. You can even grind reverse while looking for the sixth gear if you hit it just right. I have driven sticks for thirty years, and this sixer took me about a month to adjust to the pattern.
Unread 01-29-2006, 04:19 AM   #13
drummerwookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175MM BULLDOG
The six speed does have a wide shift pattern. It takes time to adjust to it. It is possible to screw up the syncros if you are not careful. You can even grind reverse while looking for the sixth gear if you hit it just right. I have driven sticks for thirty years, and this sixer took me about a month to adjust to the pattern.
this was the first 6 ive ever driven, and yes, i have grinded trying to go into 6th but going into reverse instead..lol...i quickly realize my mistake and into the real 6th gear it goes

gone, but never forgotten: 2006 rubicon, 1998 ZJ, 1995 YJ 4.0

metalhead jeep club #4
drummerwookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.