6" lift or 4" and 1" body for 35's? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 6" lift or 4" and 1" body for 35's?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-19-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
leukus
2000 TJ Wrangler 

6" lift or 4" and 1" body for 35's?

So i have been getting quotes for getting a loft put on. One shop tells me i can't run 35's without doing a 6" long arm lift for likr $4k - the other shops says i just need a 4" short arm lift and a 1" body lift that is only like $1500. anybody know?

leukus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

you can do 35s on a 4" kit alone if you set it up right, hell i going to run 36-37s on 6" so go 4" with BL and save some money, just make sure with 35s you are prepared for steering, brakes and axle upgrades

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
jeepnurse

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I run 35s on 4" susp and 1.25" body lift on short arms no problem. It was no problem without the body lift.

04TJ 4.0 rc 4" susp lift, jks 1.25" bl, 1" front spacers, brown dog mml, aa sye, tw ds, 35" mtrs, rock crawler front bumper, barnes 4x4 rear bumper and tire carrier, ar wheels, 8.8 with lockright, jeeperman sliders, warn m8000, jks quicker discos

95ZJ 4.0 rusty's 3" susp lift, 2" front spacers, 33" mtrs, addcos front and rear, black diamond front track bar, jks rear track bar, jks quicker discos, trimmed fenders

It just goes to show you can't always tell the depth of the well by the length of the handle on the pump.
jeepnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
488TJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i've ran 36s with 6inch flares with a little rub on tons of flex on a 4inch lift
488TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why don't you do the research and install yourself? It's not difficult, you will gain a ton of knowledge and experience, and you won't have to pay out the *** for labor. The second shop sounds like a better option since a 6" long arm kit is retarded. There is no "need" or "only way of doing things" to run 35s. And, there are some crappy kits out there that shops may use. Do you even know what lift they want to install? Do you have any say in the matter? I'm running 35s on 2.5" of lift and a 1" body lift, with a little cutting and top notch parts.

Why do you want to run 35s? Do you wheel your rig or just drive it on the street? Either way, 6" of lift is too much and not necessary at all. And, the center of gravity would be raised too high, making you tippy.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
robncar
We're BACK!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Why don't you do the research and install yourself? It's not difficult, you will gain a ton of knowledge and experience, and you won't have to pay out the *** for labor. The second shop sounds like a better option since a 6" long arm kit is retarded. There is no "need" or "only way of doing things" to run 35s. And, there are some crappy kits out there that shops may use. Do you even know what lift they want to install? Do you have any say in the matter? I'm running 35s on 2.5" of lift and a 1" body lift, with a little cutting and top notch parts.

Why do you want to run 35s? Do you wheel your rig or just drive it on the street? Either way, 6" of lift is too much and not necessary at all. And, the center of gravity would be raised too high, making you tippy.
I agree with you that doing your own install is the way to go. You can spend the install money on tools too, if needed.

Could you educate us as to why a 6" long arm kit is "retarded"?
|_____|
(O|||||||O)
|______|

[]====o=[]

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #430
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

These 35s are going to cost you more than a lift and tires, that said a 4" lift would be fine, I have heard good things about new 4" Rough Country X series lift. It's around 1K and comes with adjustable lower control arms. And a 1" BL and you should be able to fit 35s.

As far as what you are going to need to do this, if you are running a stock rear axle D35 your are going to need to put a super kit in it, or replace it with something stronger. You are will also need to upgrade the steering tie rod for sure. And you will also need some type of new brake system like a Vanco. You are also going to have to do a SYE (slip yoke elimnator), and probably a CV drive shaft. Or else you are going to need to do a serious T-case drop. You may also want to look in to a Motor Mount Lift, to reduce vibes.

I agree do this you self and gain some knowledge. Long arms are a good way to go if you can afford it, but if you only drive around town, it's not necessary. Here's a good thread on what you need for 35s.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
RuffTJ
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
These 35s are going to cost you more than a lift and tires, that said a 4" lift would be fine, I have heard good things about new 4" Rough Country X series lift. It's around 1K and comes with adjustable lower control arms. And a 1" BL and you should be able to fit 35s.

As far as what you are going to need to do this, if you are running a stock rear axle D35 your are going to need to put a super kit in it, or replace it with something stronger. You are will also need to upgrade the steering tie rod for sure. And you will also need some type of new brake system like a Vanco. You are also going to have to do a SYE (slip yoke elimnator), and probably a CV drive shaft. Or else you are going to need to do a serious T-case drop. You may also want to look in to a Motor Mount Lift, to reduce vibes.
Good advice here

x2 on the Rough country lift. Great value. and upper and lower adjustable control arms are included.
RuffTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

OK, maybe that's a little over the top. Retarded is not the right word, but 'too high in my humble opinion' is the correct phrase....the guy that said, 'you can't run 35s without a 6" LA kit' might be retarded. If you're not going to be doing too many trails that involve off-camber '**** your pants' situations, then it won't pose a problem. But for hairier stuff like that, I myself want to be a few inches lower. I just don't understand why such a tall lift is needed. Sure, long arms provide a nice ride but for only running 35s, one doesn't need 12" of clearance for their tires.

For the OP--I would HIGHLY recommend that you read up on multiple build threads of people running 35s. Don't be fooled by the shop who wants to install the crappy parts on your jeep because that's all they know (ie, procomp). Do your homework and tackle it yourself if you can. If you can't, then find a reputable shop that knows their stuff, and tell them what you want them to install.
Unread 04-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post

I agree do this you self and gain some knowledge. Long arms are a good way to go if you can afford it, but if you only drive around town, it's not necessary. Here's a good thread on what you need for 35s.
Good advice. 35s are EXPENSIVE.
Unread 04-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
robncar
We're BACK!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Good advice. 35s are EXPENSIVE.
Yep, any time I see a "I want to run 35's" thread, I want to ask "what's your budget?".

Perhaps I missed it but, you're also going to need a regear too.

So,

Lift
Shocks
Tires
Wheels
Brakes
Steering
SYE/CV
Gears
|_____|
(O|||||||O)
|______|

[]====o=[]

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #430
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #12
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

35s on 2.5" suspension lift and a 1" body lift for me, works perfect for the off camber places I wheel. Its great as a daily driver too.

My Jeep

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
gribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

6" of lift is too much for 35s. It's much better to do a 4" lift to keep your center of gravity lower. I plan on running 35s with my 4.5" RESA with a 1" bl once my 33s wear out.
BYuen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #14
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

6" is definitely WAY too much.

here is 4.5" on 40" tires:

I WILL be adding a 1" BL, but it's only for a 1" MML to clear the driveshaft up front and to get a flat skidplate under the belly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

And if you want to see really cool rigs, check out Rokmen's stuff. 2.5" of lift on 40s. Sweet.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.