6.4 hemi intake on a 5.7 hemi - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 6.4 hemi intake on a 5.7 hemi

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
345HemiJeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

6.4 hemi intake on a 5.7 hemi

Hey, doing some research and haven't found much on the web. I know the 6.4 hemi is based off of the 5.7, so I was throwing the idea around of putting a composite intake from the 6.4 and bolting it on to my hemi. Any ideas on if this will work or not? Anyone done this yet? Thinking of gaining a few ponies from easier breathing as well as making the front a little lighter! Thanks for any insight!

345HemiJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

IF(?) it bolts on it does not necessarily mean that you can get around a custom pcm tune!
Besides the flow characteristics and the volume there are some small details like throttle body and the sensors coming with it which most likely will confuse your pcm ... (and will give the tuner some good times ).
Changing your CAMs comes to mind as well ...

in short: this is not a garage bolt on mod!
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't even attempt it. I have a feeling that almost all of the accessories on the front of the motor will have to be changed/moved which will in turn cause a lot more issues...it just wouldn't be worth it.

If you want more HP then cam it and get a little mild head work done. That should be good for 50-70 hp. Otherwise, look into a blower kit.

http://www.shophemi.com/c-1276-hemi-power-adders.aspx
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The 6.4L is based off of the 2009 or newer 5.7L Hemi and the manifold would bolt up. If your Hemi is a 2008 or older, the 6.1L manifold should be a direct bolt up, but I'm not sure if the 6.4L manifold will fit the earlier Hemis.

Regardless of fit, the 6.4L manifold has a solenoid actuated short runner valve (SRV) that changes the effective length of the intake runners depending on engine RPM. You would need to find a way to actuate this valve at the proper RPM or you wouldn't be getting much benefit out of the swap.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Blown7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 345HemiJeep View Post
Hey, doing some research and haven't found much on the web. I know the 6.4 hemi is based off of the 5.7, so I was throwing the idea around of putting a composite intake from the 6.4 and bolting it on to my hemi. Any ideas on if this will work or not? Anyone done this yet? Thinking of gaining a few ponies from easier breathing as well as making the front a little lighter! Thanks for any insight!
It's been done, check IIRC for a forum poster Hemmisary on the LX Forums.

Not much super high tech goes on in this forum.
Blown7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #6
345HemiJeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all of the info. Yeah, just looking into future options and all. You would think 400 horses in a TJ would be enough, but there are days...
345HemiJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.