5 speed transmission "moved" towards driver - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 5 speed transmission "moved" towards driver

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
BajaGTO
2000 TJ Wrangler 

5 speed transmission "moved" towards driver

I thought I had this licked, but I was wrong.

The 5 speed in my jeep 'moved' or 'leaned' towards the drivers side making it really hard to get it into first gear. Looking at the truck from the underside, the transfer case looks crooked. Meaning the drivers side of the t-case looks closer to the skid plate.

I took the skid plate off, thinking it was the transmission mount, but that mount looks like it's in one piece. SO I buttoned everything back up thinking things had just maybe gotten misaligned.

I recently had a shop change the pinion seal, but I doubt they had to loosen anything up that would have effected this.

ANy ideas?

BajaGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
BajaGTO
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here are some pictures

Unread 08-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
BajaGTO
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like I found the culprit....Driver's side Motor mount is broken off. Lucky me! And even luckier, it looks like the previous owner welded something in here. What is this supposed to look like? And how do i get these broken bolts out of there?

Unread 08-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
BajaGTO
2000 TJ Wrangler 

After doing some research...looks like browndog custom motor mounts are the answer to this. Am I correct?
Unread 08-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Impressive! Keep up the research! So far you havent needed anyone else's input! I would recommend filling out your profile, it will help people give you advice.

What motor, lift, tires etc? Future plans?

The reason I ask, is there is no point in brown dog if you dont plan on doing a BL or MML. Just get stock replacements. If you plan on doing a tummy tuck in the future, get the MML Brown Dog mounts now. Make sense?

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Go with stock motor mounts.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
MotoSoul
Just add Dump Truck

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You are on the right track. The brown dog motor mounts with their heavy duty brackets should allow you to get back on the road without trying to remove the broken bolts. Make sure you get the rubber version. You are going to need to do a 1 inch body lift at the same time if your Jeep does not already have one.

Give them a call and they should be able to sort you out.
I like the arms, they are a good solution, but they really aren't worth the effort for the average person and you already see the BS that goes on over bushings VS JJ's, the crap that would go on over J arms would be epic.
MotoSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
BajaGTO
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
Impressive! Keep up the research! So far you havent needed anyone else's input! I would recommend filling out your profile, it will help people give you advice.

The reason I ask, is there is no point in brown dog if you dont plan on doing a BL or MML. Just get stock replacements. If you plan on doing a tummy tuck in the future, get the MML Brown Dog mounts now. Make sense?
I just filled out the profile..thanks for the advice

I ordered the Brown Dog mounts already mainly because the bolts are sheared off in the block, and the brown dog option seemed the easiest for me and my limited mechanical skills.

When ordering, I also found out, that the engine swap that was done by the previous owner was done 'incorrectly.' He said it was a 2000 engine, but the block casting number (53010341) shows it to be a '99 or older motor. So when he was doing the swap, he cobbled the 2000 MY motor mount to the pre 2000 MY motor.
Unread 08-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yikes! Good luck getting it situated! Did you get the stock height mounts or MML height?

Μολὼν λαβέ
Unread 08-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
BajaGTO
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Basically...I am going with whatever Tim tells me. I am sure it's the stock height
Unread 08-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain

The OPs issue some or all the bolts on the block mount sheared off. Brown dog makes replacement ones that utilize the extra unused holes on the block. By the looks of the pictures the OPs rubber motor mounts are okay.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
JFjeld
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, go with Brown Dog. You don't have to go with lifted mounts, which would likely necessitate the body lift. And their bracket replacement kits should be the ticket to get that mess straightened out.

I just installed Brown Dog mounts (1") in my Jeep two weeks ago and they're awesome, and the folks at Brown Dog were great to work with. I ended up spending extra on the rubber bushings to reduce tub vibration.

You'll be happy with your choice.
Unread 08-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93

The OPs issue some or all the bolts on the block mount sheared off. Brown dog makes replacement ones that utilize the extra unused holes on the block. By the looks of the pictures the OPs rubber motor mounts are okay.
You have much better vision than me, I could not tell that's what was going on.

Μολὼν λαβέ
Unread 08-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
You have much better vision than me, I could not tell that's what was going on.
X2... though I was on a phone... not a pc.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17

X2... though I was on a phone... not a pc.
Same, lol

Μολὼν λαβέ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.