5.0 engine swap pictures - Page 78 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 5.0 engine swap pictures

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Like it. 438 41.99%
Awesome wish mine had that. 449 43.05%
You just ruined a perfectly good jeep 69 6.62%
Why would you replace a 2.5 with a 5.0. 2.5 are the best 87 8.34%
Voters: 1043. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 02-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #1156
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

ok guys, I got it to fire up today after a great deal of fuss (old stuff suxs) but it only gets spark with the spout disconnected? any idea whats up with that?

Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #1157
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Anyone doing this swap need Advance Adapter Mounts part#713006 in the link below? I have them brand new in my classifieds for $115 shipped, thanks.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/pn-713006/
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #1158
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

have an update, I was driving the jeep around, but the engine I got from the auction just wasn't right, it developed a pretty good lifter tick, witch turned out to be bad bearing on the crank (I plastigauged them at all 4-5 thous to loose, and scratched). I had to tear down and send the short block off for a bore and rebuild, but I got it all back together today, and I have one issue to resolve. The gauges doen't work right. I'm thinking that I'm not getting a good 5Volt reference, or the return path is faulty (signal return). The tach works sometimes (reads rarely, bounces sometimes, but mostly still), the oil and temp always read low (I checked oil psi with mech. gauge to make sure I didn't have another issue) I also had a problem with the fuel pump relay not functioning, but after back probing around, I found I had signal to the relay, but no ground on the trigger side. I bypassed the ground and got power out from relay, (triggering it off the mustang computer!) anyone have an idea of what I cut wrong on the jeep side of things. I admit, I won't hove time to put the volt meter on it till I get back from a business meeting, but would like to have an Idea where to start when I get back.

oh, PS: I can't seem to get the jeeps evap to work off the mustang computer, thats the only code I'm throwing off the mustangs computer
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

Unread 05-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #1159
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

amos, what should the gap be between the tone ring you supplied and the jeep sensor, I got it real close, but could move it up to about 30K or so with the slots on the mustang bracket, I followed sourskittles writeup, but I glued mine into the bracket.

Unread 08-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #1160
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Bravo to Amos, and everyone else thats posted all the info in here. Thanks guys!

I have a question though. My frame is typical of a rust belt TJ, i have two cracks where the rear LCA's mount. I am going to buy the autorust.com frame patches, weld them on and keep truckin. The rest of the frame is in great shape, just those two spots with the little cracks that need work.

My question is about if the frame will hold up to a mild 5.0 in the long run? Id hate to swap a 5.0 in, just to have to swap a frame 2-3 years later because mine was already to far gone to hold up to its extra torque.
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #1161
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would base that desicion more on what your going to do with the jeep over what motor your going to use ("stock" 302 vs 4.0). The more extreme you go, the better the foundation needs to be. A patched frame on a street to mild wheeler isn't a big deal compared to a full blown rock rig.
Unread 08-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #1162
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by navman View Post
I would base that desicion more on what your going to do with the jeep over what motor your going to use ("stock" 302 vs 4.0). The more extreme you go, the better the foundation needs to be. A patched frame on a street to mild wheeler isn't a big deal compared to a full blown rock rig.
Thanks. No rock climbing in my future, at the most it will be used to tear *** around some muddy fields.

I read 80% of the thread, and that questions popped up after seeing skittle mention that he noticed his (good) frame was flexing quite a bit under acceleration.
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #1163
stapert

i have a jeep cherokee with a 4.0 wana put a carb 5.0 in
stapert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #1164
fugiduck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 472cid View Post
Bryan and I the only ones excited about tach?
I have a 1991 jeep yj that I'm putting a 5.0 in. But it's not out of an explorer or newer rig. It's actually out of an older rig. Emission laws are not as strict here. Anyways. It had the 4.0 in it. The new engine has an hei distributor on it so it has a tach terminal but with the two extra cylinders won't that increase the rpm on the gauge. Was wondering in you knew the solution to this. Thanks. Great thread by the way.
fugiduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #1165
sourskittle
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just incase anyone is wondering
I still have my jeep. Drove it the other day (Saturday ). Its such a beast, lol.
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #1166
sourskittle
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Guess I may as well do an update, since I'm at work on a Saturday busting *** after staying up all night playing diablo 3 because.... I FORGOT I HAD TO WORK TODAY AT 6am UNTIL I DESIDED TO GOTO BED AT 4:20am, and took a shower. Then it hit me.... "Holy poop !!! I HAVE TO BE AT WORK IN NINTY MINUTES !!".

Anyway...

So, I've been meaning to sell my jeep for.... About 3 years. Problem is, I desided to sell it because of a devorse. Extremely long story short, I ended single and never made time for my jeep ( or my street bike, or my G35, or my house ). So it sat around the garage. I took 20min one day and figured out that I swapped the TPS wires wrong when I switched to an explorer intake. After that, it fired right up, and I topped the gas tank off with fuel.

10months go by, and I never made another 20min to even look at my jeep. So much so, that someone else looked at the warn 8072 on the front of it and stole it off the front FROM INSIDE MY CLOSED GARAGE. It that doesn't speak volumes for how little I was actually home... I moved into an appartment and took the jeep with me after I installed a new battery (the old one was stolen), and drove it to the new place with almost no brakes.

It sat, uncovered, under an oak tree for 9months. Never driven, only started 1-2-3 times, brought upto temp and shut down.

In the mean time, I planned to sell it for almost nothing, I had no shop, no garage and no tools at home.

Then... I made twin boys. Which required me to move into a 4 bedroom house with a garage. I drove the jeep to the new place. I still planned to sell it for almost nothing, like $6k-$7k.

6months ago, I desided to sell my street bike, jeep, infiniti G35 and use all the cash to put down on a new ecoboost F150. Until... Until I ran the numbers !!! F me, trucks are stupid expensive !! So.. I changed my plan and desided to buy a the 2014 fiesta ST turbo. 2 issues. #1 they are not even at dealerships yet. #2 I still have not sold a single vehicle. I desided to clean the jeep up to sell 2 weeks ago. While cleaning it up.... I told my wife, "Really is gonna suck to sell this thing, jeeps are garbage, but if I was going have one, it would be built JUST LIKE THIS ONE". 5 minutes later she shocks me... "What and how much would it take to make this jeep a daily driver?". I said, "ahhhh, prob $1,000, which in jeep terms means, $1500 or $2000". Then it got quiet for another 5 minutes. "You know, this jeep is bad ***... If you can iron the kinks of of it, I can daily drive it to/from work and you can drive the Flex" ( we own a 2013 flex limited).

So... The deal is.... To get it in "wife daily drives it" shape, and put 4 "for sale" sings in it. She works at a ford dealership

Going to ask $12k because at the point I am at right now, the jeep looks like a million bux, hauls ***, get better fuel mileage than the 4.-slow did and I think I may keep it until I get an offer I can't refuse...

In the mean time... I have a list.
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #1167
sourskittle
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The list... Problem and solutions

I screwed up and used bolts that were too short on the starter into the bell housing. I thought the bellhousing "deadheaded" so bolts that were too long would just bottom out, not true. Well... It broke an ear off my starter. And this is interesting. I can find ANYWHERE to sell me a 1984 ford truck 5.0L starter that is the "mini style". The only place I could find it was ebay (which is where I bought the first one, and it worked great ). So new starter. $75 easy.

UV faded fender flares. No big. Wet sand, clean, degrease, Krylon fusion. $12

Jeep had been outside for 18month under an oak tree. Spent 2 days cleaning it inside and out. Free/kinda.

The jeep desided that it was tired of idling correctly. 2 issues. #1 is fixed, plug was off the "air idle control valve". #2 is because I never set the ignition timing after the explorer intake swap (you have to remove the dizzy ). The reason it was never set was... The pointer that shows where the timing is on the whore-monic balencer has rubbed all the dang number off. So... I have no numbers to set the timing with !! $65shipped, be here Tuesday. (It does idle now anyway)

Throttle cable was done set with zipties after explorer intake swap ( comes with new 65mm TB that is different than my mustang stuff ). Problem really is that it caused a very hard spot at 1% throttle. To over come that "hard spot" I had to push the gas harder. Well, at 10% throttle the hard spot disappeared and left me consistantly going from 1% throttle to 50% throttle back to 1% theottle so the jeep doesn't get ripped in half. Not smooth at all. Solution ? Custom throttle cable bracket I whipped up in 15min at work, on break. Free, and works AMAZING.

Oem 11 year old black top in florida. That is a problem, lol. Solution new black top on order. $300. Be here by christmas I hope

Has no brakes almost AT ALL. This was an issue left over from the four-link/8.8 swap. I never got all the air out of the brake lines. Solution? $3.79 for 20ft of clear 3/16 ID hose at home depot. Hose from the bleeder to the master cylinder. I'm waiting on a starter, but I'd bet box of crackers that is fixed.

All my plastics were stained, inside and out. My wife spent a ton of time restoring them all. $15materials.

Sun had faded my bumpers a bit. No big, wet sand, clean, paint (with better paint). $15+ time.

Starter switch and "super insane fan" mode switch just hanging out in center console. Clean up wiring and mount. Done.

Roll bar padding sun faded too (My doors and top are almost never on ). Solution ??? Not sure yet.

Not in my sig but, its on 6" of lift now and my poor pro-comp or tuff country or old rough country lower control arm bushings are dead. 4" lca's with 6" of lift plus 5-6+ years old = bad. It death wobbled on me once. Solution ? Replace oem upper control arms and busted lower control arms with best ones I can find. I wanted metal cloak, but they are only for upto 4" lift from what they told me on the phone. Prob buy these expensive ones from Rocmek or something like that... Anyway, spend a lot of money to fix it, lol.

I was going to replace the track bar and steering stuff. But... I checked it all, and this jeep only has 70k miles on it, and all the looks perfect wear and geometry wise. So... "To be determained" this is my main issue over all.

2 year old gas in the gas !!! Somehow, still runs fine. But I'm not happy about it. As soon as I put a new tag on it, SOMEWHERE is gonna have 12gallons of old gas via my shradder valve on the fuel rail, and I'm gonna put some new 93oct back in it.

Speedo, fuel level don't work. She's F-ed, lol. I'm not breaking open all my pretty wiring for that stuff.

Bike rack was stuck in the reese hitch. Pry bar = free. Had to break the locked pin out.

Has a 8072 warn winch plate, and... No winch. Solution ? Don't leave the pavement !! This **** is a mall krawler since I don't own a 2 bay, fully equipped shop anymore. And I ant spending $2200 for another 8072 !!

6 cylinder tach does not work with v8 engine. People steal anything you leave worth over 50cents from your interior. Solution ? You tell me?

Anyway... That's all I can think of. Pics later via laptop.

PS: I have 35" bfg mud terrains on black steelies now
Unread 09-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #1168
472cid
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Starter is from a 94 f150 with a manual not an 84.
1997 Jeep Wrangler 5.0 ho gt40p motor w/ e303 cam, ax15 trans. 241j rock trac transfer case from 05 rubicon. 05 front rubicon 44 with yukon chromoly shafts and rear rubicon dana 44 and rubicon rims with 33x11.50x16 mtrs
472cid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #1169
472cid
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fugiduck sgi-8 from Dakota digital
1997 Jeep Wrangler 5.0 ho gt40p motor w/ e303 cam, ax15 trans. 241j rock trac transfer case from 05 rubicon. 05 front rubicon 44 with yukon chromoly shafts and rear rubicon dana 44 and rubicon rims with 33x11.50x16 mtrs
472cid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #1170
fugiduck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks a billion. I was trying to figure out how to make my own transformer and what values I needed to change and how much. This is much easier.
fugiduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
5.0 , 5.0 liter , 5.0l , engine swap , ford , motor swap , v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.