Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What do you think?

5.0 engine swap pictures

320K views 1K replies 123 participants last post by  BDC1 
#1 ·
5.0 engine swap pictures with full functioning gauges including tach!!

:cheers2:

See less See more
#676 ·
Sorry spark plug I misread 427's post, I was thinking about the issue I had with the headman not clearing the novak motor mount I have on the drivers side and thought he posted the p head having angled plugs not straight. My spark plugs are angled so I do not have this issue. The headers are sold by novak, but not made by them, I would consider calling them and asking about it. The headers I have from them are much better quality than the headmans I first got. If I remember I will check the brand of mine tommorro in the daylight. Sorry for the confusion, hopefully you end up with more info from it.

#678 ·
I dropped the ball on the update of the suspension stuff...Grainger didn't have the tube "weldments" I needed... They did have stainless ones, but at $15 a peice times 8, it wasn't an option.

#679 ·
Amos, Skittle
I'm looking at the summit headers G9037 and G9035 $154 these are
1.5" pipe not sure what the difference is between the 2. I have 9430-T50 $300
here right now. These are 1.58" pipes #4 plug is real close to touching. If I have to dent new headers I'm not to sure if I want to dent the $300 ones. Which ones did you buy G9037 or G9035??

#682 ·
i am pretty sure one has the o2 bungs in the header and one set does not. as long as they fir like an 83 tho about 95 truck. jegs also has some too but what i used was flow tech shorties but are not availible

#683 ·
Caution!!!! Summits header will not fit P heads without some serious denting or custom welding. I dented mine first but lost so much airflow that I had to take them to a friend who cut off the offending tubes from the inside , sealed off the collecter there and then made new tubes to the outside of the collecter. Lots of room now. Novak does have a set of conversion headers for our application for $285 uncoated. Sanderson header also has a set that they say will work for P heads, Sanderson makes the headers for Novak. believe they told me $350. Merry Christmas everyone, Hopefully have my jeep finished beginning of the year.

#686 ·
if you can find the flowtech headers they only require a small dent then i run dei boot insulation which advance carries. i will get a picture soon

#688 ·
starting another 5.0 swap in another jeep with p heads

#690 ·
man thats alot of horseys for a wrangler, 5.0 is a good engine, nice choice

#692 ·
Getting around to figure out posting pics again! Ordered headers from Novak today. I was told that they work well for P-heads. Hope to get them by the end
of the week. Here's a pic of my jeep. I have to get more project pics loaded at photo bucket.

Attachments

#697 ·
those headers suck mine were no where near that close. just third cylinder back on drivers side was right next to plug so required a small dent bit other than that a couple were a little close but bought the thermal spark plug boot insulation and have not had a lick of trouble. I think i have a picture of mine i will look.

#698 ·
has anyone ever thought of running long tubes on there swap i have a 5.0l explorer motor in my mustang and runs harder then **** thinking of putting one in my 97 wrangler with a 2.5l and am looking at running a megasquirt dont know if any of u guys have heard of that. its a standalone computer so i would get rid of the jeep computer and the mustang computer and run just that
thanks for all the info guys just read from page 16 to 47 tonight
matt

#699 ·
dont want to try long tubes and find out dont fit and keep trying others. I know about megasquirt but you can only eliminate jeep computer by making your own gauge cluster as jeep gauges are ran off data bus and require that ecm to operate hence why all of us with tjs still have stock ecm. why not use mustang ecm unless you are going to build a crazy motor as a mild cam and gt40p heads are well witin reason on a stock mustang computer.

#700 ·
so u guys are running the mustang ecm for just the motor and the jeep ecm for just the gauges. the only reason i thought about that was i am looking to do a 300 flip kit and ill need a mechincal speedo soi will be getting rid of all my gauges and thats what i thought i would run megasquirt
thanks
matt

#701 ·
Holy crap its been cold here !!! Its been below 40 degrees for the last 3-4 days ( low temp ) and its not supposed to warm up until tomorrow, then another 7 days of "below 40 degrees lows". I haven't even looked at my shop, let alone gone outside to work... It was 27 degrees here last night, supposed to be 28 degrees tonight, and they said its possible it that IT COULD SNOW HERE on Saturday.... Holy crap.... I have to walk around all day looking like a dang snowman cause I've got 2 jackets on...

I don't even think out highs are above 70s... I think one day we had a high of 58 !!!

#702 ·
least you are having heat wave. we are calling for up to six inches today. temps have been a high of like 10 degrees

#704 ·
Classic, I just have to rub it in every year Amos, haha. It really have been brutal cold TO US, haha. Yes, its been a year.

Anyway, got my cross members built tonight, I really should have some suspension pics up soon. I'm not going to waste too much time right now taking pics and all, essp. since its a FREEZING 41 degrees out right now ( I reallize that's summber for you guys, but that's a 2-shirts, 2 jackets set-up for us ).

Slowly, but surely.

#706 ·
i drove around till 2am playing in the snow. a v8 and front rear locker sure take the fun out of it. then when i got home i hit the mother load. THe drift of all drifts was in my front yard saying you cant make it. So like a true jeep you guessed it went drift busting at 2am in my front yard. And yes i did make it but the entire engine compartment filled with snowed and knocked the belt off:thumbdown:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.