Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What do you think?

5.0 engine swap pictures

320K views 1K replies 123 participants last post by  BDC1 
#1 ·
5.0 engine swap pictures with full functioning gauges including tach!!

:cheers2:

See less See more
#333 ·
I threw in some pics of my wifes wiring harness for her 4.0L for comparrison and a few pics of the oil cooler I'm installing prob. sometime this weekend...

#335 ·
so did you get the clutch working? What was wrong with it?

#336 ·
No, its still jacked up... I'm going to order a 86' 4-speed TB tomorrow and hopefully, I can get in there and find out what the deal is this weekend at some point.

#338 ·
Thanx spider. I still have some bugs to work out. The throttle cable isn't perfect. Of course the clutch/TB issue. I have to set the timing with a timing light.

Oil cooler maybe this weekend if I don't get ate up with the TB change.
Gotta get the A/C rocking.
THen OBA with the york compressor ( this will be a bit ).

Well, then its onto the 4:88s for the wifes jeep. THen 8.8 for mine.

#340 ·
Ford Throw bearing Part Number: S614014 Fits the following vehicles:
1983 - 1993 BRONCO
1983 - 1993 F-350

1984 BRONCO II
1988 - 1993 F53 STRIPPED CHASSIS

1979 COUNTRY SQUIRE
1978 - 1981 FAIRMONT

1983 E-100 ECONOLINE
1975 - 1980 GRANADA

1983 - 1989 E-150 ECONOLINE
1977 - 1979 LTD

1983 - 1989 E-250 ECONOLINE
1977 - 1979 LTD II

1983 - 1993 E-350 ECONOLINE
1975 - 1977 MAVERICK

1990 - 1993 F SUPER DUTY
1979 - 2004 MUSTANG

1983 F-100
1974 - 1978 MUSTANG II

1983 - 1993 F-150
1983 - 1984 RANGER

1983 - 1993 F-250
1983 - 1988 THUNDERBIRD
:2thumbsup:

#341 ·
I have the tranny almost out ( by myself right now ). And yes.... Its 6:30am.

Anyway, I think its the presure plate. After looking at it, the fingers on it are worn down ( not freshly worn ) from the TBs in its past. The TB actully looks amost fine other than an odd mark on the very back of it ( maybe its supposed to have that ). I'm going to replace both.... Hope I can buy JUST a presure plate....

#342 ·
hope it works out for you let me know what it was

#344 ·
I got the pressure plate and new TB. The old bearing was getting ate up by the grooves in the pressure plate fingers as I meantioned before. Got a new federal mogual TB bearing. And the new pressure plate has a different style finger/spring setup on it. The fingers are raised at the tips, where as the old one had just straight fingers.

Its going to be a.... hctib to re-install since I didn't "drop the tranny", I just slide it backward. Hopefully, I can get some help in the next few days. It does look that the pressure plate was the issue.

I doubt it, but maybe the 4.9L I6 pressure plate can not be used or maybe the one I have is just slap worn out. I ordered one for an 87' 5.0L F-150.

#345 ·
a new update. next monday i am buying a 98 newer gt40p explorer motor. So we will have to add 5.0 swap part 2. i will take better pics then and update a few things on my jeep at that time

#346 ·
I had to reorder another aliment tool. Either way, I'm getting more set-backs. My septic tank is going to be getting a new drainfeild in a couple weeks ( or less ) and since I just got the tank pumped Mon. I'm installing a new "baffle" where the water exits the tank into the drainfield. My old DF didn't have a baffle, and I think that's one of the main reasons it stopped working. But were knocking a new whole and all. And work has been rough on my the last two days and I'm a bit short on sleep. So... I'm picking up my PVC and alinment tool tomorrow and that's prob. about it. Then the "Baffle" on Thursday, and hopefully the clutch on Friday. Then racing event and taxes Saturday. Work Sunday. Then hopefully get a tag on Monday for it.... Maybe not on the tag Monday :laugh:

#352 ·
b says it doesnt give the bottom end torque the e cams gives. I am not building a race car this is my daily driver

#353 ·
I got stuck with an insulin type syringe while cleaning out my drainfeild, so now my right hand is pretty much useless for now due to swelling, and it hurts like hell. went to the ER and they gave me two shots, took 8 villes of blood, and gave me a pill.

Pretty crappy, what kind of a-hole flushes needles !!!

I feel lucky though, no hiv or hepitis, just a "michelin man " hand and pain.

And my drainfield is 100% hopeless, so my $6900 refund can't get hhere fast enough.

#354 ·
i hope for an update on the clutch issue real soon

#355 ·
My hand didn't start working unil Tuesday. I dropped the tranny out ( literlly ) while trying to wrestle the clutch/pressure plate back in. Lucky, nothing was damaged ( that won't grow back anyway ).

I got a jack mount for the tranny, so I can lift it back in, which I'm heading to do right now.....

#357 ·
Got the tranny in, started it up and.... Tap tap tap tap tap. Push the clutch in, gets a bit louder, and still doesn't let me shift into gear from a stop... 100% the same as it was with the old pressure plate...

I'm not sure what to look at next...

Two different TB bearings, two different presure plates, doing the samething.

Is it even possible I'm not putting the fork in the right place ? Should the fork go 100% on the back of the TB ? I've been putting it in the middle of the TB between the two lips.

I'm dieing here...

#358 ·
No... I don't have a camera anymore. I took my cannon camcorder on a ride on my 11,000rpm V-twin Tl1000R and it never worked again :laugh:

I do plan to get a video of it after all the loose ends are tied off.

I added a tranny vent while I was at it today, feeling pretty sure the pressure plate was the issue...

#359 ·
pulled the slave cylinder back up over the fender and bled the system again, but I guess my "melting of the jeep plastic line" onto the ford slave wasn't on there good enough. After bleeding the cylinder a few times, it started coming out of the line where it meets the cylinder. I was hoping that it was just b/c the cylinder was maxxed out and pressure didn't have anywhere to go. I put it back on, with a nut between the arm and the rod and it shifted into all gears perfect !!!

I'm going to try and re-heat the line on the slave, then pull a zip tie over it real fast to help form a better seal after I pick the kids up from school.

#360 ·
Amos, I don't know how in the heck you got that plastic hose to seal. I think that's been my issue all along. Looks like the jeep fitting on the end of the jeep's clutch hose is the same as the fords, so all you really need to do is knock that small roll pin out of the slave cylinder which releases the fitting and put the jeep fitting into the ford hole.

As for me.... I think I'm just going to have a new hose made tomorrow...

I never put my front DS back in after the pressure plate swap, so I drove around today a bit in 2Lo, haha.

#361 ·
gladyou got it working. Mine line is stil holding fine and i will be suprised if they are the same. My advance adapter kit came with a fitting to run brake hose down to it but i didnt use it

#363 ·
I'll try to get some pics, but brake fluid + camera = No.

I got some instant push lock fittings at work last night, so I'm going to see if they can handle the pressure first. The place I was going to have build me a new hose said, " yea, you'll never find those push lock fittings, just bring it up here and I'll make you a new one ". Well.... 3 hours later, I had three of the fittings I need, haha. If it doesn't work, I'll still have to get a hose made.

I still can't drive around shifting properly, so its not over yet.

#364 ·
That hose was the key !!! I'll post pics of the coupler and slave and stuff in a minute.

I installed the jeep hose fitting where the ford hose used to go RIGHT INTO THE FORD SLAVE, you just have to knock out a roll pin, install the jeep hose/fitting, and pull the roll pin back in.

I cut the hose, put the coupler in, added like 3oz. of brake fluid, pushed the slave cylinder in to push out the air I had let into the lines, then reinstalled it, and it worked PERFECT.

The jeep line is too long, but I think it could be tied back or something and remain 100% stock. If not, you'll need a 8mm to 8mm union instant push-lock fitting and you can just cut out the excess lengh like I did.

TB is still noisy, but that botch is just going to have to wear in or something :laugh: three different clutch arms. two different TB release bearings. Two pressure plates and it still makes noise, so what ever....

Pics in a minute.... Prob. are not that great.

#366 ·
Good pics! It always looks funny putting new parts on a dirty Jeep. I just got a new M/T Baja MTZ on a black steelie from summit and when I got it I wasn't sure if I actually had the right one because it looked so clean! I haven't seen that type of fitting before and since I'm not "company sponsored" like you I'll probably have to just have a hose made when I get there.

Amos, any news on the GT40P motor?

#367 ·
picking it up next weekend plans fell threw for this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.