Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What do you think?

5.0 engine swap pictures

320K views 1K replies 123 participants last post by  BDC1 
#1 ·
5.0 engine swap pictures with full functioning gauges including tach!!

:cheers2:

See less See more
#225 ·
I have family in Sparta as well (small world) and you are right, not much to do there! I have heard there are some good trails out there though, and I can vouch for the excellent riding roads as well. I currently have a Triumph Daytona 675 and it's my main means of transportation in the summer (sorry TJ but you get a third of the mileage).

#226 ·
I used to think that my next bike would be a 675, but looking at it now, if I was to get another sportbike ( which isn't going to happen, I sold my TL b/c I couldn't use self control with it on city streets ) it would be a GSXR750. I like the v-twin ( or in your case 3-twin ) motors, but when it comes right down to it, the suzuki is faster, its cheaper to buy, its cheaper to maintain, and if/when it gets dragged down by a riders its 10x cheaper to fix. Of course, you'll just be another GSXR rider, but its the same as racing a mustang. Everyone has one b/c they are cheap, fast, readily avaliable, and cheaper to make faster than anything else.

If everything was truely equal, I'd take the 3 cylinder 675 anyday for sure. Really, I guess, in the end, its all about $$.

Anyway, posting up to add that I actully did something for the jeep !!! I cut the power steering line and got the compression fittings tonight !!! Wooopy !!!

I'm hoping to ramp back up on it.

#227 ·
Hope to get the exhuast bends mocked up tomorrow before and my buddy is going to take them buy an exhuast shop and have them make the needed bends, then I'm going to cut/weld them as needed.

Amos, I need refreshed on what you used to attach the fuel presure line ( just cut and used hose clamps ? ).

I've gotta get back into this.... I hope to make a trail riding trip on Jan 24th or Feb 7th And I wanna have both the jeeps there.

Also Amos, what was that member's name that did the service manuals ? I want one for an 02' I've got one, but its for an 03'. I know the steering boxes changed in 03', so I'd rather be safe on the wiring.

Amos, you did just tuck all the stock ECU stuff away, and kept it right ? You still power the stock ECU and all too, right ?

#228 ·
Hope to get the exhuast bends mocked up tomorrow before and my buddy is going to take them buy an exhuast shop and have them make the needed bends, then I'm going to cut/weld them as needed.

Amos, I need refreshed on what you used to attach the fuel presure line ( just cut and used hose clamps ? ). I cut it at the frame where the steel line is on the frame and used fuel injection hose with fuel injection clamps. do not use regular clamps as they cut into the line and regular fuel line will burst as the fuel injection hose has extra braids in it for the pressure. Auto zone and advance both sell it. also picked up a chunck of steel line and ran it after a few inches of rubber and bent iall up behind the accompressor and stuff and used all the way to the fuel rail then put another small chunk of rubber hose and done. used a decent amount of rubber on the bottom so it has some slack as it has to all for the motor to twist.

I've gotta get back into this.... I hope to make a trail riding trip on Jan 24th or Feb 7th And I wanna have both the jeeps there.

Also Amos, what was that member's name that did the service manuals ? I want one for an 02' I've got one, but its for an 03'. I know the steering boxes changed in 03', so I'd rather be safe on the wiring.sportcoupe

Amos, you did just tuck all the stock ECU stuff away, and kept it right ? You still power the stock ECU and all too, right ?Yes and spliced the tach signal wire into the jeep harnes at the cam and crank sensor wires and ran the oil pressure sending unit and the coolant temp sensor plugged into the factory harness. also the ac is all plugged into the factory harness and the ford plug spliced on it and had to the lengthen the harness for the high pressure switch
:cheers::cheers2::thumbsup: good luck and let me know if you have any more questions

#229 ·
FYI for Ford 5.0 (302)

If you want a little thump to your new 5.0 in your Jeep, Ford Motorsports sells it's popular E303 camshaft. It's Sniffer legal and has a nice little rock to it. You can also install it without worrying about valve clearance on 87' and later 5.0 Long Blocks.

86 Blocks are known to be the toughest, but stay away from 86 cylinder heads. Make sure your heads are stamped E7, GT-40, or GT-40P. Like previously mentioned, GT-40P heads require different exhaust manifolds than it's counterparts.

Don't forget to replace the timing chain while the engine is out of the bay.

You can get a lot of performance out of your new 5.0 install, by changing a few things here and there. I would recommend Trick Flows Street Heat Intake Manifold, it's by far the best in my opinion. Have to check hood clearance on the TJ, but it's close to stock.

FMS (Ford Motor Sports)..Quality stuff..ie. 65mm Throttle Body.

Don't over look the MAM (Mass Air Meter/Mass Airflow Metter, etc.) The stock Ford MAM is restrictive. Pro-M has been around for a long time with their quality MAM's and I have been learning much about FMS's Lightning MAM. That may be the way to go.

Don't buy junk headers....I still have OEM headers/exhaust manifolds until I have the funds for JBA Headers. Don't know about the clearance issues, it would nice for someone to report on it.

Since we're talking about exhaust. Most stangers have converted their OEM exhaust into X-pipes, H-pipes, etc. I would recommend one of Mac's Pro-chamber type exhaust systems custom made for your TJ.

I think I read somewhere on this thread about Ford computers. An automatic computer is better for most, as the Manual computer automatically retards the timing during shifting. I don't know how much this would affect a 4x4, most of my experience comes from 1/4 mile setups.

My opinion is to stay away from air filters like the K&N (even though I have one on my stang). The reason being that the oil can get onto the elements inside your MAM and wreak havoc on your engines performance. Unless you keep the Air Filter down stream from the MAM. Try to keep it covered as well. Engine Heat, dust, and mud won't help out either. I've never saw any seat-of-the-pants difference and I have run several cold air kit setups in the past and to this day.

Stock Ford Mustang GT valve covers polish up nice.

Replace your Water Pump!!!!! I've owned my Mustang for ten years and I've only had to replace the water pump. This is the second time in 23-years..Errrr..LOL

That's all that I can think of now...

#230 ·
We dont have as many choices when in the jeep as we have to run the f 150 style headers, at least if you run a stick, to clear the slave cylinder. it has to come from say like an 87 f150 with external slave cylinder as the mustang tubular manifolds dump right on top the slave cylinder but thanks for the rest of the info

#232 ·
i did not lose any. they are only like 75 poundsmore than a 2.5 if i remember right

#233 ·
I currently have both, an '06 Daytona 675 and a '07 gsxr750. I like the daytona better mainly because it is different but also because it's a lot leaner bike. If you believe Triumph the Daytona frame is literally narrow enough to fit INSIDE the GSXR frame. Being a lean guy myself, I like the lean bike ;) They both weigh about the same, and the GSXR has slightly more power but I'm a firm believer that rider ability would make or break the deal.

Back to Jeeps. After putting my new bumpers, tire carrier and MTZ's on I have noticed the Jeep is a little slower ;(. Hopefully toward the end of the year I can get geared up for this swap. Maybe sooner if they give us overtime back.

#235 ·
13 during winter. i have a little over 4000 miles on it now. it was averaging a little over 16 when it was warm

#237 ·
Seriously? You are in the wrong place for those types of comments.

Thanks, 472, it's strange that there is that much of a difference between weather and that you would get better mileage when it was warm (when air is less dense and therefore less to burn per volume). Anyway, I'm getting about 14mpg, 15 driving conservatively with my 4.0L, sounds like it almost evens out! :cheers2:

#240 ·
glad i could help lol j/k

#241 ·
I've been working on the Y-pipe, should be close to done tomorrow.

Still need to know about the fuel rail in/out identification.

#246 ·
great idea fly me out there and i will help you free of charge:D:rofl::wave:

#247 ·
hey, i'm coming into this conversation a little bit late, but uhh... one guy asked it if is 50 state legal.... california has a smog law now... that jeep won't pass smog, so it's only legal off road, i just bought my jeep at the end of december and i have been frantically working to clean it up, it's a '93 with that same 5.0 ho, off a 95 mustang, but my tach doesn't read correctly and my speedometer doesn't work at all... yeah, i got all the fun work left on the project ;) so, do any of you know how i can get my tach to realize i got 8 cylinders now instead of 4?

#248 ·
#251 ·
I'll be posting pics of the y-pipe ASAP. I've got one last cut/weld to do. Basiclly the weld from the y-pipe to the flange that bolts to the stock cat. I could easily ditch the cat, but I want to save the earth :laugh:

I hope the fittings for the feed and return fuel lines are interchangeable. I blocked off the feed port on the rail, but the return ( but I did it after the pac-man style quick release fitting ).

I can't wait to move on from this y-pipe. My advise in the future is to drive the damn thing open header to an exhuast shop after everything else is done. I've spent $50 already and had to modify stuff myself. I'd pay $100 for a y-pipe built custom at an exhuast shop.....

Battery mount is next, then wiring ( after I get the fenders on ).

#253 ·
It is like 87 to 95 but i just look it up for that. summit or advance auto has them for 150 but if you want to run auto trans mustang will work

#254 ·
Hey Amos, I was looking through the FSM to see where I needed to tap some of the wiring in ( I plan on posting my notes on that ), and I found on the jeep PCM there are two wires I wanted to ask you about.

ONe is called " generator source" and the other is "generator field".

Would it be benifical to plug these wires into the altinator instead of one alt. wiring going to key+ and the other going to Bat+ ?

Also wanted to ask you if tapping the ford VSS wire into the jeep VSS would good anything good/bad ?

I'm going to plug that fuel pump + wire from the ford harness to the jeep fuel pump output wire, basiclly going around all the jeep stuff and just stealing its + wire to the fuel pump.

Also, you labeled a wire on the ford harness starter+. That's the fords "starter sense" wire correct ? I'm going to hit it at the jeep power distrubustion block ( at the starter relay ).

I've been wanting to post pics of the Y-pipe, but I'm waiting to get the O2 bung and plug right now ( should have just bought one local ), but I didn't really wanna post pics of it without it being 1000% ready to bolt-on, but it is finished other than that bung.

Also, I wonder if the jeeps IAT sensor would work with the fords ECU. Got to be a 0-5V style sensor... THen again, different volts can still mean different things... I just keep forgetting to get an IAT sensor...

#255 ·
Hey Amos, I was looking through the FSM to see where I needed to tap some of the wiring in ( I plan on posting my notes on that ), and I found on the jeep PCM there are two wires I wanted to ask you about.

ONe is called " generator source" and the other is "generator field".

Would it be benifical to plug these wires into the altinator instead of one alt. wiring going to key+ and the other going to Bat+ ?Nope has to be a keyed source leave those alone

Also wanted to ask you if tapping the ford VSS wire into the jeep VSS would good anything good/bad ?Nothing at all

I'm going to plug that fuel pump + wire from the ford harness to the jeep fuel pump output wire, basiclly going around all the jeep stuff and just stealing its + wire to the fuel pump.Exactly what i did!

Also, you labeled a wire on the ford harness starter+. That's the fords "starter sense" wire correct ? I'm going to hit it at the jeep power distrubustion block ( at the starter relay )Right by the power distrubution there is a single wire heading down and it runs to the starter it has a quick connect on it i ran the alternator there along with the wire on the harness for the timing which is the wire you are talking about here.

I've been wanting to post pics of the Y-pipe, but I'm waiting to get the O2 bung and plug right now ( should have just bought one local ), but I didn't really wanna post pics of it without it being 1000% ready to bolt-on, but it is finished other than that bung.

Also, I wonder if the jeeps IAT sensor would work with the fords ECU. Got to be a 0-5V style sensor... THen again, different volts can still mean different things... I just keep forgetting to get an IAT sensor...NOpe sure wont
Answers in red i will call you soon for more info

#257 ·
Well, that's 60% of why I made the thread ( stole the thread ). I have a friend that might be doing the same swap, and this will help him out a lot. But I also did it to have a semi-perminate scrap book of sorts for myself.

Plus, its a cool place to post progress, and when people ask "how's the jeep coming", I can post the latest update link on this thread.

So everyone wins.

I'd like to see more EFI 302s in TJs anyway. No reason, IMO, why it shouldn't be more popular than the ole tree-fidy.

My buddy that is going to do the swap in the future is opening up a shop soon, and he might take my 3D templetes of my motor mounts and build a bulk set of them to sell. But I'll let you guys know if that happens.

Just had a friend pull a running 454 big block out of his CJ5 for a tree-fidy, yuk... Least he could do is use an LS1/LSx....

#258 ·
Well, that's 60% of why I made the thread ( stole the thread ). I have a friend that might be doing the same swap, and this will help him out a lot. But I also did it to have a semi-perminate scrap book of sorts for myself.

Plus, its a cool place to post progress, and when people ask "how's the jeep coming", I can post the latest update link on this thread.

So everyone wins.

I'd like to see more EFI 302s in TJs anyway. No reason, IMO, why it shouldn't be more popular than the ole tree-fidy.

My buddy that is going to do the swap in the future is opening up a shop soon, and he might take my 3D templetes of my motor mounts and build a bulk set of them to sell. But I'll let you guys know if that happens.

Just had a friend pull a running 454 big block out of his CJ5 for a tree-fidy, yuk... Least he could do is use an LS1/LSx....
??????????? wtf:confused::rtft: I think i made this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.