4x4 Engaging but no Indicator light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4x4 Engaging but no Indicator light

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAwesome savings at openboxoffroad.comNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 09-19-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
MIG3
1999 TJ Wrangler 

4x4 Engaging but no Indicator light

The 4x4 works, but nothing to indicate it's engaging on the dash.

Is there a fuse specifically for this? Or some sort of relay?

Thanks

MIG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
shotgunsmith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have always been a little insulted by 4x4 indicator lights. As the operator I like to make it my biz to know little things like what mode the T/C is in or weather the tranny is in reverse or 1st. not a fuse. more likley the switch or bulb.
Unread 09-20-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Crawl under the jeep and disconnect the plug into the transfercase. Jumper the plug with a paperclip and the 4wd light should turn on.

If so then you needs a new switch and remember to buy the o-ring. Shouldn't be more than $20.
Take an old tooth brush and clean around the switch before you remove it. Grit = bad.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52247_01.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52247_50.htm
But your dealer will prolly be a few bucks cheaper and no shipping.
tc-switch.jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."

Last edited by Divinitous; 09-20-2008 at 06:54 AM..
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
nolo263
1998 TJ Wrangler 

mine has a wire that is broken i guess or making bad contact. When my 4x4 light doesnt come on I reach under the dash right where my left knee is and wiggle the wires a little this makes the light come on..
nolo263 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

Ive had the same problem at times.

I would 'jiggle' the T/C lever, (side to side, up and down) just a little ~ to get the light on. I know its the wiring connection and one day I will clean it up and replace if I need too.

If it was not mentioned, finding an empty parking lot, I would engage the T/C and make a turn, if my wheels are hoping, then I know my 4wd is engaged even if the light is on.

Cheers, hope this is helps !!

prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
RVA_TJ06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Doesn't the clutch override fuse keep that light on. For some reason I think it does.
Unread 09-20-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
MIG3
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the input.. I'm heading outside to try to test it, then replace it.. Too bad the switch I got at autozone is a 4 pronger..
Unread 09-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
MIG3
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey there- thank you for the schematic. I found the swtich, and jumped it.. The only light that came on the dash was "Part Time".. Do you think it's the switch? I got in the car and switched between 4H,4N, and 4L but still said "part time".

The only reason I'm trying to get this light to work, is to sell it.. I know the 4x4's working.
Unread 09-21-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
472cid
1997 TJ Wrangler 

part time is the light. that indicates it is in part time 4x4
1997 Jeep Wrangler 5.0 ho gt40p motor w/ e303 cam, ax15 trans. 241j rock trac transfer case from 05 rubicon. 05 front rubicon 44 with yukon chromoly shafts and rear rubicon dana 44 and rubicon rims with 33x11.50x16 mtrs
472cid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yep you wont see any "Full-Time" light on TJ's because they dont have transfer cases equipped with full time 4 wheel drive. But rest assured, part-time is what you want to see, the name simply means that you are only supposed to be using it part of the time. Its only designed to be used in situations where traction isnt good, if you do it on drive pavement for too long, you will screw up your transfer case. It can be confusing, but just know part time is the light you will see when you are in four wheel drive.
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 09:30 PM   #11
nectoxicdragon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcastino View Post
Yep you wont see any "Full-Time" light on TJ's because they dont have transfer cases equipped with full time 4 wheel drive. But rest assured, part-time is what you want to see, the name simply means that you are only supposed to be using it part of the time. Its only designed to be used in situations where traction isnt good, if you do it on drive pavement for too long, you will screw up your transfer case. It can be confusing, but just know part time is the light you will see when you are in four wheel drive.
My 06 lights up 4wd hi or 4wd lo indicators when 4wd is engaged... Chrysler is anything except consistent.
nectoxicdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
Ron Burgundy
Team CANON

2009 JK Wrangler 

My light stopped working this summer.
Thanks to this thread, I too - jumped it. And the light works.
Indicating that it's not the bulb, or any connections at the dash.
I will replace the switch and report back, thanks all.

MYGIG Database Thread

I appreciate all of the info & good people on this site.
JK Sahara 2dr

Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 01-17-2009 at 11:22 AM..
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #13
472cid
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yes need a new switch
1997 Jeep Wrangler 5.0 ho gt40p motor w/ e303 cam, ax15 trans. 241j rock trac transfer case from 05 rubicon. 05 front rubicon 44 with yukon chromoly shafts and rear rubicon dana 44 and rubicon rims with 33x11.50x16 mtrs
472cid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
Ron Burgundy
Team CANON

2009 JK Wrangler 

This thread should be added to the list of FAQ.
Main reason is, when ya search, several threads come up.
With the info divinitous posted above, and this info here, this will save people some time finding the proper info.

Here is the original switch. It wasn't dirty. It just stopped working. Notice the small black o-ring. Don't reuse it, just get a new one.

Here goes. My light stopped working a few months ago. I pulled the plug, jumped it with a paperclip, and the light works. So I purchased a new switch and o-ring from quadratec like mentioned above. Cheap. This is the part number for the 4x4 switch for the t/c. This bag/part# doesn't come with the 0-ring. See thread above for the part numbers.

Finding the switch isn't easy for n00bs. And the proper tool is seriously needed. An adjustable won't work. A box wrench may work. But I strongly suggest using a rachet. I used a 7/8" deep socket, like a spark plug socket. You will need light, flexibility. And prolly a 1/2 drive to get good leverage. you will prolly not need any wd40 or lub. my jeep has 180,000 miles on it. and this switch came out like a champ.

You want to lay under the jeep. Legs under the rear axle. Head in front of the skid plate, looking back.

Remove harness. Remove switch. Install new o-ring and new switch.

Hope this helps.
I will add that I'm not a mechanic. Anyone can do this with the 7/8" socket. Unless you're a really big guy with huge arms, you may have difficulty reaching in those areas. I'm skinny, and I was a little cramped up. Maybe lifting the jeep up would help in this situation, but I'm not sure. It's a tight area with the frame, driveshaft, and other components. Good luck mates.

MYGIG Database Thread

I appreciate all of the info & good people on this site.
JK Sahara 2dr
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #15
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

Cool !! Thanks for the pics !!
prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.