4x4 dash light not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4x4 dash light not working

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-15-2004, 10:45 PM   #1
mattpm07

4x4 dash light not working

I went wheeling yesterday and found out that my 4x4 light in the dash doesnt come on no more when i shift into 4x4. I need some help on finding the source of the problem. I believe there are two kinds of lights. A 4lo and 4hi in the dash . well neither comes on but it does mechanically engage.

any thoughts would be appreciated. matt

mattpm07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2004, 11:13 PM   #2
FlexyTJ

the "part time" light is the only one that is supposed to illuminate in a TJ. The dash is common to certain models of Grand Cherokees as well which make use of the 4LO light ect...

If the "part time" light does not illuminate it is probably due to an electrical issue, not mechanical malfunction.
Unread 11-15-2004, 11:44 PM   #3
mattpm07

thanks, I'm pulling the dash to check the bulb tommorrow.
mattpm07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2004, 12:24 AM   #4
Greydawg
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem- the 4wd did engage, but the light did'nt come on. A few weeks later, I put it in 4wd and the light worked. I agree it's electrical- I took off fast on a snow-covered (deserted) road when the light failed just to make sure.
I could'nt care less if the light works or not,now that it's not under warranty anymore-the handle position kind of gives it away. And if you forget it's engaged,the first tight turn on a dry road will remind you.
Unread 11-18-2004, 10:37 AM   #5
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpm07
thanks, I'm pulling the dash to check the bulb tommorrow.
On mine, the light is amber when in 4 hi, it turns green when in 4 lo. If the light bulb is ok, I believe there is a switch on the tc that might be bad. Mine stopped working years ago. The last ime I pulled the gauge cluster, the bulb was missing. I replaced it, but it still doesn't work.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/4...orking-534581/

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
VTEK1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.