4wd wont go into neutral at all - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4wd wont go into neutral at all

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 11-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
wegotj

4wd wont go into neutral at all

after i get my tj into 4wd High it wont let me go into neutral at all. just last winter it was perfectly fine and now winter i coming and im gunna need it.

wegotj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Does the shifter move like its shifting to neutral or is the shifter jamming and not going past 4 high?

Will it shift in to 4 low?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
wegotj

no its jamming and wont let me go past 4 high.
wegotj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, your linkage below the shifter handle has probably either seized up or jammed up.

If it is just seized, you can get under there and disconnect the rod from the handle, give the rod a good whack with a hammer, and manually line everything back up. I had to do it after a lift and it was a piece of cake.

If you'd like to give it a shot, here's a pic of the bolt right under the driver's side you need to loosen up.

You see the rod off to the right in the background? You loosen that bolt and your shifter will then be free. Then you can look further down the rod and knock (I forget which piece) near the t-case back into gear. For example, if you knock it into 4-low, then take the shifter, put it in the 4-low position and re-tighten the bolt.

CAUTION: I do not recommend you do this until you can figure out exactly what is going on with the t-case. It shouldn't take much force at all to change it and I don't want you to break anything by beating on it.

Do you have more details of what exactly is the issue?

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.