4WD indicator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4WD indicator

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-13-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
wetwilly

4WD indicator

Hello fellow jeep enthusiasts. We've just picked up an 04 Wrangler so I'm sure there will be many questions to follow, but here's a simple (I think) one to start off with for my first post.

Is there an indicator light in the dash that comes on when you shift into four wheel drive? If so, and it's not working, is there a common cause and fix?

Thanks in advance for any replies. There seems to be lots of knowledgable people here with plenty of good advice to share.

WW

wetwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2006, 10:43 AM   #2
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

there is 2 things that might be wrong here. these are simple fixes.

1) a bulb might be burned out from behind the dash.
2) your 4WD shift indicator switch which is on the button of the jeep has gone bad and needs replacement now this switch is around 50$ from the dealer takes about 10-15min to install.

but make sure ur jeep is in 4WD id make sure it actually is in 4WD before even considering the other 2 options cause if it isnt in 4WD thant here is a big problem. If its in 4WD you should feel the jeep a bit sturdier.
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
kaybone
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just fixed my switch. Here's some info:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/how-i-fixed-my-4-wheel-drive-light-mini-write-up-280492/
Gun Metal Blue Jeep Club Member #99
kaybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2006, 11:26 AM   #4
wetwilly

Thanks for the quick response, guys. Where exactly on the dash is is this light located? Sorry to ask such a stupid question, but our last jeep was a CJ about 18 years ago.

Thanks again.
wetwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
kaybone
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetwilly
Thanks for the quick response, guys. Where exactly on the dash is is this light located? Sorry to ask such a stupid question, but our last jeep was a CJ about 18 years ago.

Thanks again.
It's in the upper right corner. If you drive your Jeep into the bright sun you'll be able to see the faint outline of where it is supposed to light up. When switch and bulb are both working properly, the 4 wheel light will come on when your xfer case is in 4 wheel and your turn your key to the start or on position.
Gun Metal Blue Jeep Club Member #99
kaybone is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.