JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   4WD Dash Indicator Lights? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/4wd-dash-indicator-lights-1306941/)

chitownjp 12-28-2011 05:14 PM

4WD Dash Indicator Lights?

Can anyone tell me if the 4WD indicator lights on the dash are supposed to turn on when the key is turned to the "on" position? Similar to the other dash lights? I did some off-roading this weekend and when I kicked in the 4WD the lights on the dash didn't come on. It seems like the 4WD is working so I'm trying to trouble shoot what may be causing the problem. Either the bulb's burnt out or I've got an issue with the 4WD sensor. I'm hoping it's the bulb. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

SaxManClay 12-28-2011 05:18 PM

You have a 4WD light? :confused:

If it were my Jeep, I wouldn't worry about it. I think a majority of the Jeeps on this forum don't have their 4WD light come on. I bought mine from an 80 year-old man who drove 5 miles a day, and mine didn't have it.

But to answer your question: If you really want to fix it, try the bulb first.

4banged 12-28-2011 05:28 PM

I don't know about 97 but both my 2003 and my buddies 2001 both needed a new sensor/switch replaced on the transfer case . . . it's like a $12 part at the dealer and there are writeups on this forum if you search. It was both easy and difficult (simple job but you have to be a contortonist to get to the friggen thing without dropping the skid plate).
Have fun!

Richlost 12-28-2011 07:20 PM

The next time you are in your Jeep, do this simple test.
1)Put key in ignition
2)Press and hold the odometer reset button
3) Turn key to "ON" position.... DO NOT START THE VEHICLE!!!!!!
The dash lights, and gauges will cycle thru a self check process, if during this process you see the 4wd light come on, then you know for sure that the switch needs to be replaced and not the bulb.

Edit: This test works on my 04 LJ, not sure if it works on other years.

Knuckelhead 12-28-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaxManClay (Post 12756277)
You have a 4WD light? :confused:

I think a majority of the Jeeps on this forum don't have their 4WD light come on.

I think your wrong on that analisis...

jwaller89 12-28-2011 07:45 PM

Mine is on in 2wd, goes off in 4wd, then back on in neutral. My switch is out, and I haven't felt like replacing it yet. It happens.

SaxManClay 12-28-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckelhead (Post 12757080)
I think your wrong on that analysis...

I might be, but from personal experience the only Jeep I've seen with a 4WD light indicator is my fiances 01 Cherokee. And it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong on this forum. :shhh:

Doty152 12-28-2011 09:03 PM

Mine is not coming on either, I said **** it and got a beer. I don't need a light to tell me what I already know.

Holm-z 12-28-2011 09:38 PM

Mine hasn't worked in years.

TriCountyKeith 11-29-2012 10:00 AM

My 93 YJ has the same problem. No light, but it goes into 4WD just fine. It would be nice to have an idiot light to let me know I was in 2WD when I get back on the pavement.:wave:

sweetbmxrider 11-29-2012 10:11 AM

My light does come on when I go into 4wd high, the part time light if I remember correctly. None of them light for bulb check. This is on an 01.

RioRyan 11-29-2012 10:16 AM

My light comes on when I'm in in 4x4, and shuts off when I'm not. I guess I should be thankful lol :D

I do remember something about it coming on when the key is off and you flash the highbeams or something... can't remember if it has to be in 4x4 for that, but I know I thought there was something weird about that bit.

wanabejeeper 11-29-2012 10:16 AM

I'm a nut about it. I bought the jeep and the shift fork was locked over. I bought the vacuum motor scrounged around and found the vacuum driven indicator switch and now the light wont go out... fixing it is on my list to do but when I'm done it wil work,

1shotwonder 11-29-2012 12:07 PM

Dont know what the big deal is honestly.. If you can't tell it's in 4wd/forget you put it in 4wd.. it's your own issue... Why do you need a light to tell you something you already should know? I mean it's not like it automatically kicks in.. You have to manually put it in 4wd

Knuckelhead 11-29-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1shotwonder (Post 14526884)
Dont know what the big deal is honestly.. If you can't tell it's in 4wd/forget you put it in 4wd.. it's your own issue... Why do you need a light to tell you something you already should know? I mean it's not like it automatically kicks in.. You have to manually put it in 4wd

With my 2-Low, the light comes in usefull...

The time now is 08:07 AM.