4th gear problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4th gear problems

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-07-2007, 11:00 PM   #1
FranV

4th gear problems

My 97 Tj with 33 X12.5's 6cyl seems to have lost all power in 4th gear. 5th gear was never really any good, but it seems like recently I just lost all power in 4th gear. the jeep was sputtering and hesitatin when accelerating under load. I replaced the plugs, wires, tps sensor and downstream o2 sensor, I can't get my jeep to go over 55 mph in 4th on a flat road...help!!!

FranV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
minesweaper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

update your profile so we know what you have. have you geared it? 33's you should go for at least 4:10 gears if not 4:27 or 4:56. how long have you had the 33"s on there? we need more info? how does it run up to 40-45?
SYE, CV Drive Shaft, Radiator, Oil Pan, and Steering Box Skids
8.8 w/4.10s and LSD
minesweaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
FranV

I bought the jeep used it already had a 3 inch lift and 33 x 12.5's. about 80k miles. I am pretty sure the gearing is about 3:53. I would love to go to 4:10 but can afford the $1500 right now. I went mudding and all my problems started after that. Sputtering, stalling etc. I put new plugs in and new wires, but things just seem to have gotten worse.
FranV is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.