4cyl vs. 6cyl - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4cyl vs. 6cyl

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #46
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfadynich View Post
I've browsed a bit on Clist and you're right there are a few good ones, I was just using autotrader cause I can narrow my search a lot easier. I'll give it another look, but should I really be worried about miles? I was thinking around 100k is enough where I wont be done using it after a few years and where I'll be comfortable putting all of these parts on without feeling like its a waste
In my experience, I wouldn't worry too much about mileage. When I was searching for both of my jeeps, I found a lot of jeeps with fewer miles on it that were complete POS's. I ended up getting a 97 TJ with 127K miles that was in great mechanical and cosmetic shape. I plan to drive it until it hits 200K miles. My last TJ I took from 97,000 miles to 155K miles and only had to replace the clutch.

Look for a Jeep that is in great shape and don't get hung up on the mileage.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #47
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So what do you think about something like this:
http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/2209673991.html

The only drawback is I would need to buy a hardtop, but it already has a lift, tires etc. I could but that rear D44 and still have some money left over
RedStep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #48
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm not sure. There is a lot that goes into lifting a Jeep 4 inches that I don't know is on there or not.

You'll hear around here very often that Jeeps are built, not bought. Finding one with the D44 rear end will just making building your Jeep big easier.

With all this said, my jeep has the dana 35 rear end - so what do I know?

Unread 03-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #49
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTJCO View Post
Well, I'm not sure. There is a lot that goes into lifting a Jeep 4 inches that I don't know is on there or not.

You'll hear around here very often that Jeeps are built, not bought. Finding one with the D44 rear end will just making building your Jeep big easier.

With all this said, my jeep has the dana 35 rear end - so what do I know?
Yea the one I linked has a D44 on the back, but stock gear ratios (3.73 I believe he said) and claims that it runs well without a power drain. Worst case I can buy new gears and have someone install them, but for that price it could even be worth it.
Unread 03-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #50
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

3.73s are definitely not terrible with 33s. Heck, a lot of guys run 33s with 3.07s - how, I'm not sure, but they do it. I think you'd be fine for the time being with 3.73s.

The fact that it has a D44 is a big plus - and sounds like the rig is worth checking out. Make sure, like any used car, you go over it carefully. Make SURE it has the D44 if he is advertising it as such (the difference is easy to tell, look here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...1/#post4118396).

Go check it out - and report back! Just make sure you don't fall in love with it because its a Jeep and end up buying a piece of junk.

Unread 03-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #51
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Haha yea I figured the D44 for me to buy separate is like 2k and would be a pain to install, but I'm gonna start checking these out next week and I'll def let you know what happens for sure thanks for your help
Unread 03-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #52
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cool man, good luck. You have no idea the road you are about to travel down....

Unread 03-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #53
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It should be interesting
Unread 03-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #54
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Between my 4.0 XJ (3.55 gears) and 2.5 TJ (4.10 gears), both on 31's, I can honestly say they seem to have the same amount of power. However, the XJ is heavier and has an auto. But owning a 2.5 CJ-5, I knew what to expect out of the 4 banger. I wasn't disappointed at all, I'd buy another 2.5 TJ.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ Boot Camp[/URL]
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #55
BobKnake
Betty Blue "97"

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfadynich View Post
Hey guys
First post to this site, and I'm heading out to buy a TJ in a week or so. One of the biggest things I've been noticing is that a lot of the ones I've come across have 4 cylinder engines, but I'm thinking that's not enough power for a daily driver. Also many of them have half doors, but I would like to have full ones. Are they fairly easy to buy? Any suggestions/comments/concerns would be awesome

Thanks for the time
-Hunter
Hmmm
I have a 4 cyl & a 6 cyl - both soft tops and 5 speeds... the 6 has full doors & and the 4 has 1/2 doors.

The 4 is my toy... I use it as a weekend driver and back and forth to work.
The 6 is my wife's daily driver...

I just bought mine in December...
For me, the 4 cyl is fine. Sure, I'd love to have more power at times, but it's fine. the 1/2 doors are fine!
I paid less than retail, partially do to it needing work and partly due to 4 cyl.

Now that being said, If I had the extra $$$... I would have gone with a 6 cyl and hard doors... I would also shoot for 01-02... I've found that the heater is better in them compared to my 97.

Good Luck!
Unread 03-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #56
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey thanks, yea the one I'm looking at right now is an 02 with a 6, so I get the best of both worlds in this case, with enough left over to do some work
Unread 03-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #57
BobKnake
Betty Blue "97"

1997 TJ Wrangler 

cool...
you won't be sorry...
Unread 03-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #58
Metfan1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought a 97 4 cyl tj wrangler with 390 000 km on it about month and a half ago because my truck engine blew a piston bearing. I replaced the engine myself with an engine that had 160 on it. I came from driving a 98 chevy silverado with the 350 v8. Thought buying a 4 would save on some fuel since the v8 slurped it back, But right now I'm kicking myself in the *** because I can't stand the slack of this 4 banger lol. I have 4.11s in the rear with 31 inch tires and it doesn't even have the balls pull up some highway gentle hills in 5th.

I love the jeep thing but can't stand the no power thing. Really considering selling and buying a 6. If I could turn back time I would of bought a 6 in the beginning.
Metfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #59
Metfan1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oh and this 4 cyl isn't saving much in fuel at all.
Metfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #60
JeepGuy813
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 97 2.5L and for me it does what I need it for. Just depends on the person I guess..

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ = [COLOR="Red"][B]SOLD TO PARENTS[/B][/COLOR]

1997 Jeep Wrangler Tj = [COLOR="RED"][B]SOLD[/COLOR][/B] and missed alot
JeepGuy813 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.