4cyl vs. 6cyl - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4cyl vs. 6cyl

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #31
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think if you buy a 4 banger, you will be wishing u got the 6 down the road. My friend had a 4 and he couldnt stand it, so he sold it and got a 6. His soon to be wife also has a 4, and is selling hers for a 6.

I had a list of musts when i got my jeep. My advice is to put it together, keep looking (they are everywhere and arent going to go away any time soon) and stick to it. If something doesnt fit my list, i wouldnt even look at it.

Mine was:
Color: Blue
Full Doors
6 cylinder
Manual Tranny

In retrospect, i should have added a D44 in the rear (i didnt know better at the time)... cuz now im paying for it, when i get home, ill be upgrading my axles for 35's

BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #32
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwrangler99 View Post
I think if you buy a 4 banger, you will be wishing u got the 6 down the road. My friend had a 4 and he couldnt stand it, so he sold it and got a 6. His soon to be wife also has a 4, and is selling hers for a 6.

I had a list of musts when i got my jeep. My advice is to put it together, keep looking (they are everywhere and arent going to go away any time soon) and stick to it. If something doesnt fit my list, i wouldnt even look at it.

Mine was:
Color: Blue
Full Doors
6 cylinder
Manual Tranny

In retrospect, i should have added a D44 in the rear (i didnt know better at the time)... cuz now im paying for it, when i get home, ill be upgrading my axles for 35's
Yea the general consensus seems to be that if i dont get the 6cyl i'll be kicking my own a$$ somewhere down the road. The only drawback is that the rear D44 is a lot of money that I'm not sure I want to invest in something with 100k miles ya know?
RedStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #33
epeck87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

6cyl all day long bro. the gas mileage is not much better with the 4banger and you will be glad you have that extra horsepower and torque with the 6cyl. and to the poster above me 100,000 is nothing. thats what i had on my jeep when i bought it and that was 3 years ago... since then ive spent over $15000 on it. 100,000 is not a lot for a jeep. i plan on having mine for a very very long time if it doesnt die with me
Unread 03-14-2011, 01:44 AM   #34
armyman89
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i have the 4cyl and on the highway i wont come out of 4th gear now i do have 4.11 gears with 35s thou its a stought little engine when just tooling around in the mud or offroad in general. regearging is very important!! when i can im getting 4.88s and a lockrite in the front axle i wish i looked for a D44 when i was shoping for my jeep but im good where im at no problems so far just wish the previous owner took better care of the jeep. just be sure when you do find a jeep you want to buy look over EVERYTHING underneath take it to a shop and have them look at it for a day
armyman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 01:49 AM   #35
DGB3

Get the 6. My first post on this forum was to ask whether or not I wanted to buy a fully built 4 cylinder Jeep, or wait for a nice 6 to come along. I did the latter. It's an absolute world of difference from the 4 cylinder I owned prior to this one, and I've had no (big) regrets from purchasing it.

Now, here's where I might deviate from what others on here will say: if I had really thought my purchase through before throwing down the cash on my Sahara, I'd have just bought one someone had already put some love into. Trail gear/lift kits/etc. don't really add value for the average buyer, and rather than dropping $X dollars on the setup I'm working with right now, I probably could've paid the same price I paid for a TJ that already had a bit more 'personality.'

So I'll third, fourth, whatever the number is, whoever said to take your time in your search. I wish I would've taken a bit more time, but I also am quite pleased with where I ended up. Good luck!
DGB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 02:03 AM   #36
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

100k on a Jeep isnt bad at all. I got mine with 75, has 110 now. I know some guys on the forum are over 250.

I think the engine would be one of the last things to kick the bucket, and if it ever does, ill drop in a nice stroker!
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 03:43 AM   #37
JeepJeffW
2004 WJ 

I've also had both the 6 and 4, plus an 8 in my '75 back in the day. I currently have the 4 and it is my dd + fun rig. I searched for about 5 months before getting this one and although I thought I wanted a 6 this 4 banger runs great on 31's with 4.1 gears. What I'm saying is take your time and if it is the jeep you are looking for (you'll know when) the engine won't matter if jeep is set up right for it.

~~~~ Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1984
JeepJeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #38
slamtheright
1997 TJ Wrangler 

the six i had destroyed the d35, both driveshafts, tranny, d30 axle shaft, u joints, spider gears....im sure im missing something.btw these were not broke on the "rocks".
slamtheright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #39
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Okay since I figure I'm buying a 6cyl manual with around 100k on it, if my budget is 10,000 and I'm gonna spend 6,500 - 7,000 on the truck, would you guys spend the money buying a D44 with 4.56 gears (which would make me broke basically) or spend the money on a lift and 33" tires?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

^^^ thats what I'm looking at btw
Unread 03-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #40
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Okay since I figure I'm buying a 6cyl manual with around 100k on it, if my budget is 10,000 and I'm gonna spend 6,500 - 7,000 on the truck, would you guys spend the money buying a D44 with 4.56 gears (which would make me broke basically) or spend the money on a lift and 33" tires?

Unread 03-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #41
NickRicci
2000 TJ Wrangler 

DONT GET THE 4!!! It sucks...
NickRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #42
Killers99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRicci
DONT GET THE 4!!! It sucks...
what? i wouldn't say sucks. Its just misunderstood! lol.... I love my 4banger, i even passed up a few 6 cylinder before I bought it! of corse, the chilli pepper red helped make that decision! IMO, to each is own.
Killers99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #43
tucanbob

lift and tires

find a nice used lift on this site's classifieds. great deals show up all the time.
wheels and tires do too, if you find some close enough to you.
Unread 03-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #44
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfadynich View Post

That doesn't look bad, but have you checked out craigslist at all. I just did a cursory search in your area and looks like there are a number of nice Jeeps on there for less than that.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #45
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTJCO View Post
That doesn't look bad, but have you checked out craigslist at all. I just did a cursory search in your area and looks like there are a number of nice Jeeps on there for less than that.
I've browsed a bit on Clist and you're right there are a few good ones, I was just using autotrader cause I can narrow my search a lot easier. I'll give it another look, but should I really be worried about miles? I was thinking around 100k is enough where I wont be done using it after a few years and where I'll be comfortable putting all of these parts on without feeling like its a waste

Tags
door , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.