4cyl vs. 6cyl - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4cyl vs. 6cyl

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 03-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

4cyl vs. 6cyl

Hey guys
First post to this site, and I'm heading out to buy a TJ in a week or so. One of the biggest things I've been noticing is that a lot of the ones I've come across have 4 cylinder engines, but I'm thinking that's not enough power for a daily driver. Also many of them have half doors, but I would like to have full ones. Are they fairly easy to buy? Any suggestions/comments/concerns would be awesome

Thanks for the time
-Hunter

RedStep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think you have to ask yourself what you want to do with the jeep before you can decide if four furry mammals of power is something you can handle. As far a half vs full doors I have acquired a set of both I run the full in winter and half in summer. I like the flexibility its tough to scrap ice from plastic and will scratch it also un-ziping for tolls in winter is a PITA as well. But the half doors are awesome for trail ridding and summer top down fun. only you know what you will want to live with as far as doors.
Unread 03-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've had both the 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder as daily drivers. If you can find a 6 cylinder with 3.73 or even better 4.10 gears, it would be a better daily driver. However, my 4 cylinder with 30" tires did just fine for me. If it's in the budget, get the 6 cylinder. However, my current 6 cylinder has the 3.07 gears and I think it has about the same amount of power as the 4 cylinder had with 4.10s.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I agree its all in the gears!
Unread 03-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Gotcha, I'll have to ask when I go look. I'd probably put 33's on whatever I get eventually but are gears expensive to switch out if the need should arise?
Unread 03-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think you will find varying prices and correlating varying qualities of work. but definitely several hundred dollars plus the gear set. I find that 33s under my 4cyl with 4.10 gears is just fine for DD. But that is my opinion and this is hotly debated. I do find myself in 4th on some highway hills but 5 gear is plenty useable for 90% of the highway around here.

I should also add my rig came with full doors and a hard top. I think these would be harder to find in good used shape than the half doors and soft top. something else to keep in mind.
Unread 03-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You should start by reading around the forum for a while before you make any decisions. You will DEFINITELY want lower gears (4.10 being LOWER than 3.07) with 33" tires, especially with a 4 cylinder but also with the 6 cylinder. Right now, I'm riding in a 6 cyl with 3.07 gears and about 31" tires (245/75/16s) and I absolutely hate the power as a daily driver around Colorado. I never, ever use 5th gear.

Gears are expensive to change, probably around $1000+ at most places.

Figure out your budget and start searching. Don't settle for just any Jeep, but find the one with the things you want. Ideally, you'd find a 6-cylinder TJ with a rear Dana 44 axle and 4.10 gears.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome advice, thanks for the help guys
Unread 03-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
tucanbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsean0308 View Post

I should also add my rig came with full doors and a hard top. I think these would be harder to find in good used shape than the half doors and soft top. something else to keep in mind.
true. I didn't think it would be a big deal to find full doors. but during the winter when I wanted some, it's tough to find locally. I've been looking for about 6 mnths now.
Unread 03-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
j_niko
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just my opinion

Engine - there are pros and cons to both but I have and will pass up a good buy on a 4cyl. Purely just a preference, but I just can't see buying and upgrading a 4 cyl. for myself.

Doors - My wife's 2000 has full doors and my 97 has half doors. While hers is beyond a doubt better in the winter, I bought a set of sliders and honestly like them in the winter. I have no problems whatsoever.
Unread 03-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfadynich View Post
Hey guys
First post to this site, and I'm heading out to buy a TJ in a week or so. One of the biggest things I've been noticing is that a lot of the ones I've come across have 4 cylinder engines, but I'm thinking that's not enough power for a daily driver. Also many of them have half doors, but I would like to have full ones. Are they fairly easy to buy? Any suggestions/comments/concerns would be awesome

Thanks for the time
-Hunter
Nothing wrong with the 4cyl. Just don't expect it to accellerate like your 5.0 Mustang. If you insist on quick performance, you won't like the 4cyl and you probably won't like the 6cyl either...
Definitely MUST gear it properly for the tires. Regearing should run $12-1300 all done.

Full doors in good shape aren't very easy to find, and cost a bunch. $1000 a pair or more. Plus repainting.

Hard tops in good shape aren't that easy to find (especially since they need to be local since shipping would be insane) and generally run $600-800.

Best to spend some time reading, figure out what features you want (which doors, a/c, cruise, hard top etc,) and also, if you EVER think you'll go larger than 33s or will get into wheeling, you might want the rear Dana44, and buy a jeep that has them to start with. TJs aren't in any way rare, the right one for you is out there.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #12
tchaap
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post

Best to spend some time reading, figure out what features you want (which doors, a/c, cruise, hard top etc,) and also, if you EVER think you'll go larger than 33s or will get into wheeling, you might want the rear Dana44, and buy a jeep that has them to start with. TJs aren't in any way rare, the right one for you is out there.
^X2 Read this forum! It will help you more than you can imagine. Once you figure out what you think you want through your reading and research here you'll find that the TJ you want is out there to buy for a fair price.

My .02$...I've had a 4 cyl and now a 6 cyl. When you have the 4 knocker you'll always want the 6. Almost everything else on the rig can be swapped but the two biggies...axles and motor. Go rubicon or at least a Dana 44 rear w/ a 6 cyl.

Good Luck!!
Unread 03-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 4cyl with the 4:10's and 31's and its driven 50miles to and from work and it's just fine. I can pass when I want to but it does get bogged down on hills.

Also I have the half doors with the sliders and they're great for winters, I have a buddy across the street with the full doors and he regrets getting them, saying the half doors are more comfortable. (elbow leaning wise)
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 11:43 PM   #14
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If I could go back in time, I would find/do differently:

- Either a Rubicon or one with a D44
- Not pay so much attention to model years, there are other more important factors
- Get one with A/C
- Found a less common colour than black

If you hate the half doors you can get sliders for them, and if you're going to do 33's you're (probably) going to want to re-gear unless it's a Rubicon.
hustler905 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #15
CherokeeGT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i have driven a 4cyl with 4:10's they buzz around great but they suck on the highway

if you start with a 4.0 youll never look back
CherokeeGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.