4cyl - 6cyl swap - HELP!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4cyl - 6cyl swap - HELP!!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
CowDust03

4cyl - 6cyl swap - HELP!!

I am looking to purchase a 2003-2006 TJ as a daily driver\beach\ranch vehicle. Most all mods will be minor with safety and economy in mind. That being said, I have not purchased the vehicle yet. I was wondering (and with everyone's expertise to help) if the motor mounts and transmission mounts were the same for 4-cyl as the 6-cyl. Since most every mod will be tame, stock engine and transmissions will suffice. Knowing if upgrading will be less technical than custom mounts will help me decide what my purchase has to be. Any help will be appreciated!

CowDust03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

many have done the upgrade . you'll need the wiring harness too . plus motor mounts moved . t-case skid is same location i believe .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
greene69
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Why not just buy a 6 cyclinder to start with? Would be cheaper and you could just drive it. I would recommend an auto for the beach sand, i have been driving on sand since 1994 and an auto is the way to go.
greene69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

it is definately not worth this swap, its the same amount of work to do a V8 swap. The you will need the engine, tranny, Transfer case, wiring harness, and computer to make it all work. then you have to make/fabricate/cut off doner jeep - the motor mounts and weld in, you might as well just buy a 6 cyl. to begin with. and for future reference, no the transmission will not bolt up, the xfer case has different spline count, and motor mounts are differnt.
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
scot68
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greene69 View Post
Why not just buy a 6 cylinder to start with? Would be cheaper and you could just drive it. I would recommend an auto for the beach sand, i have been driving on sand since 1994 and an auto is the way to go.
X2.. However if you can't pass on this particular Jeep and your already thinking about a motor swap why not do a Magnum 5.2L or 5.9L?? Basically not much more work. The Jeep 4.0L is a great little engine but if I were swapping that's what I would do..
scot68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
CowDust03

That's the information I was looking for. I was hoping to be able to get a 4cyl cheap and run it until it quits, stock piling other upgrades, and do the whole swap over at once. I'm now just going with the 6cyl and will piece it together as I go. Thanks everyone!
CowDust03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine swap , motor mounts , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.