Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

4cyl 5spd Shifting Issues....HELP

851 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mukluk 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 TJ 4cyl 5 spd manual, and just installed a 3" body lift (pucks & shocks) also replaced the old stock springs with new ones (they were old as hell). Everything was fine until about three days later, all of the sudden it wouldn't go into 1st gear or reverse. I then turned it off, put it in gear smooth as butter, and then started. Once running, shifted fine, no grinding or anything abnormal. Drove to pick up my buddy, waited outside for him a couple of minutes, once he jumped in, started it, went to put it in gear and would not go. So I took it to the local GURUs (Bikini Offroad) in San Antonio and they have no idea and seem too busy to even worry about it (although 5 months ago they had no problem working on my clutch).

When I looked under the Jeep, I noticed that the two bolts on the bottom of the transmission, closest to the oil pan (according to Bikini Offroad is an access cover that "always" comes off). Since they were the last ones under my Jeep and put the bolts on.... I guess that makes sense (to them). The area around it was wet.

I checked my clutch master and it is full, nothing leaking from the clutch, the line, or the slave where it enters bell housing. Seems like 1st and reverse are the biggest issues, but when driving, it shifts fine.

So my questions are these:

1. I did not put the spacers in the transfer case when the lift went on, could that be causing this issue?

2. Would those two bolts that are missing have any effect on this issue?

3. A friend of mine told me that its likely a "synchro" issue, is that possible?

Any information to get me going in the right direction would be appreciated, I hate looking at it sitting there.

Thanks much everyone.

See less See more
#2 ·
If a manual transmission won't go into gear with the engine running and the vehicle stopped, but will go into gear with the engine stopped or when the vehicle is moving, then the most likely causes are either the clutch is not disengaging fully, or the transmission input shaft is stuck/seized in the pilot bearing.

#4 ·
Clutch not releasing fully -- insufficient slave cylinder travel (air in system, loose mount bolts, failing master), clutch fork popped off ball stud, excessive runout in the clutch disc or pressure plate, fractured throwout bearing ear, clutch disc spring popped out of disc...

The transmission input shaft is the splined shaft inside the bellhousing that protrudes into the clutch. It passes through but does not contact the throwout bearing and the pressure plate, the clutch disc is engaged to and rides on the splined portion, and the very end enters and is supported by the pilot bearing which is installed in the flywheel at the end of the crankshaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.