42RLE transmission failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 42RLE transmission failure

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
TxmikeS
2003 TJ Wrangler 

42RLE transmission failure

2003 Wrangler with 42RLE that will not accelerate over 55-60 MPH
105000 miles; all of a sudden fluid turned dark and symptoms occurred. changed fluid and made no difference. at 55-60 engine rpms go up and vehicle accelerates above that range rpms go up and vehicle does not accelerate (much at all).

Talked to 4 shops got 20 answers (already had serious issues with shop changing wheelbase as part of lift kit and the thing wont steer)

If this transmission is dead where do I find a rebuilt one that has all the flaws addressed. ( I see all the posts with suggested mods)

Thanks in advance for help

TxmikeS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

did you just put a lift on? mine after my lift just revs up and doesnt move much when i floor it above 60 but nothing is wrong with mine its just a normal pile of **** 42rle with 20k miles on it.
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you cooked it. 33s on stock gearing will do that.

So it doesn't happen again, regear to 4.88s and add a trans cooler.
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's toast.Both of my 42rle trannys with 35's would easily do 85-90 mph highway and acceleration was never a problem.My buddy drove it and said it was twice as fast as his JK.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17 View Post
did you just put a lift on? mine after my lift just revs up and doesnt move much when i floor it above 60 but nothing is wrong with mine its just a normal pile of **** 42rle with 20k miles on it.
You are completely wrong or live on the moon.
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJameson View Post
33s on stock gearing will do that.
No it won't.Not turning off the OD with larger tires might screw things up though.I ran mine with 35's and 3.73 gears.It could pull all hills in the Blue Ridge mountains at highway speeds no problem with the OD off.On flat highway,I've cruised at 85 mph for 60 mile trips with the OD on.
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxmikeS View Post
If this transmission is dead where do I find a rebuilt one that has all the flaws addressed.
doesn't exist.

ATS is the only one I know of that is now selling a 'beefed' up version of the 42RLE...it's spendy though. Haven't heard any real world reviews on it yet tho. it doesn't address all the flaws tho...in fact, you can't address the main flaws - the shift points and overly steep OD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
It's toast.Both of my 42rle trannys with 35's would easily do 85-90 mph highway and acceleration was never a problem.
but you lost an entire gear. you just didn't care about it.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
but you lost an entire gear. you just didn't care about it.
I pushed a button and pretended I had a 32RH.My over geared 4.56 with 32's 3 speed auto was much worse.I got under 15 mpg highway at 60 mph.I don't live in mountain country like you or it might have bothered me more.Our Virginia mountains are equal to your highway offramps.

p.s. I figured the OP was in Texas where there are 0% mountains and 100% guns.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

mine does great until 55 or so and after 60 its just pointless unless i wanna spin it at 3k+, seems like if i want to drive on the freeway i have to floor the hell out of it then letoff or do 80mph before the od comes on, i stay on the highways where its 55 cause i dont have $ to put in 4.88 or 5.13 right now. whats a safe rpm for doing 70? i will see what mines at with od off. my cherokee at 70 is 2400 rpms with od on, my 05 is like 1800-2000 and cant even pass someone unless i floor it and it just seems like the motors going to blow, crazy what 33s did over stock, my 05 ranger with 33s i didnt notice much of a difference at all. i wish my jeep moved like the xj, its going to be fun pulling my trailer with this pos transmission this summer. i do have a b&m cooler i still need to get on though.
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17 View Post
mine does great until 55 or so and after 60 its just pointless unless i wanna spin it at 3k+, seems like if i want to drive on the freeway i have to floor the hell out of it then letoff or do 80mph before the od comes on, i stay on the highways where its 55 cause i dont have $ to put in 4.88 or 5.13 right now. whats a safe rpm for doing 70? i will see what mines at with od off. my cherokee at 70 is 2400 rpms with od on, my 05 is like 1800-2000 and cant even pass someone unless i floor it and it just seems like the motors going to blow, crazy what 33s did over stock, my 05 ranger with 33s i didnt notice much of a difference at all. i wish my jeep moved like the xj, its going to be fun pulling my trailer with this pos transmission this summer. i do have a b&m cooler i still need to get on though.
mine with o/d off is just under 3k at 70 mph, with plenty of power still available. cruises nicely at 80 mph as well
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead_Jed View Post
mine with o/d off is just under 3k at 70 mph, with plenty of power still available. cruises nicely at 80 mph as well
Thank you.I don't get what's so hard about pushing a OD button if you don't like things.The 32rh regeared is horrible and terrible highway rpms.That's why I bought the perfect AW4 auto and an XJ.I still want another TJ for the fun,but this thing out preformed all my TJ's by far in only a foot of snow.Stable and no 360's.I've only had one other XJ and it was not lifted lik this one.I think every Jeep guy should have both and spend his life savings into the TJ.
IM's sure people don't like me and I'll be banned for life!

P.s.s. I'm kidding and everyone knows that.Including the moderators that have not banned me in many years.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
The 32rh regeared is horrible and terrible highway rpms.
Mine works fine, just the way I like it...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead_Jed View Post

isn't that abit high though? i cant hear my xj much at 2500rpm but the tj sounds like its strung out crusing at 2500.
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

not for the straight 6. its a couple hundred over the sweet spot, while 2k rpm is a few hundred below the sweet spot.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #15
Offshoredrillin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There is a thread on here where someone has a complete one for a grand, better jump on it. I just did mine, i have a 4.6, 4:88's and 35's and love it. 2200 rpm at 65 with a passing gear
Offshoredrillin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2003 , 42rle , rebuild , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.