42RLE Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 42RLE Problems

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
SportTJ4x4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

42RLE Problems

Im having a major problem with my 42RLE its not shifting correctly and its causing my engine to ping alot. Ill be cruising at 55mph and then get to a hill once i start going up i slow down the transmission doesn't down shift or unlock the converter and then the pinging (rattling sound). Is there a chip or something i can buy to make this transmission down shift earlier, or anything I can do about this.

Thank you very much in advance,
Mike

SportTJ4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
jeep rio
1980 CJ5 

They make shift kits for it, Im not sure of the manufacturer but I know they do! Also have you regeared it yet? and what size tires are you running
2006 TJ- Custom lift 4in Full traction springs, OME shocks, Kilby skid plates and bumper, Full traction 3 link in rear, JKS control arms upper lower, Banks exhaust, Edge trail jammer, 4.56's and true trac front, Eaton elocker rear. D30, D44

1995 YJ Rio Grande- 4.0l Swap 3.5 in 4wd hardware lift, Ford 8.8 Rear 4.10 gears.
jeep rio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
nicolas-eric
2006 TJ Wrangler 

the 42rle in my 06 tj had some problems. it didn΄t like to switch the O/D off.
after a software update at the local jeep dealer evereything worked fine.
12.000 lbs Winch • Synthetic Winch Line • 4x 130W Hellas • 4x 200W Hellas @ Lightbar • E-Fan
Jeep TJ Runicon Pics www.timbercrawler.de
nicolas-eric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
SportTJ4x4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They make shift kits for it, Im not sure of the manufacturer but I know they do! Also have you regeared it yet? and what size tires are you running
im running stock 30s
Unread 01-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

take it back to the dealership. i had similar problems and they reflashed the TCM, it helped alot. the tranny still sucks however, it still shifts into OD at 45mph, and i still lose speed and it spends all day kicking between 3rd/4th if i drive at 45mph, 40mph no problem, 60mph no problems, but anything in between, you just need to use the OD OFF button for when you know you want 3rd.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
SportTJ4x4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04
take it back to the dealership. i had similar problems and they reflashed the TCM, it helped alot. the tranny still sucks however, it still shifts into OD at 45mph, and i still lose speed and it spends all day kicking between 3rd/4th if i drive at 45mph, 40mph no problem, 60mph no problems, but anything in between, you just need to use the OD OFF button for when you know you want 3rd.

ok great thank you how much does taking it the dealer run you
Unread 01-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #7
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportTJ4x4
ok great thank you how much does taking it the dealer run you
i took it in three times, was free every time (did it under warranty). first problems started brand new, got fed up by 3k miles and again at 9k miles, and again at 20k miles. is it still under warranty? there is a TSB on the TCM module, so you should be able to make a case about it needing to be reflashed.
Unread 01-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
SportTJ4x4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i took it in three times, was free every time (did it under warranty). first problems started brand new, got fed up by 3k miles and again at 9k miles, and again at 20k miles. is it still under warranty? there is a TSB on the TCM module, so you should be able to make a case about it needing to be reflashed.

my warranty has a 100 dollar deductible so was it totally free or did you have to pay the 100 bucks

thank your for all the help so far
Unread 01-14-2008, 10:40 PM   #9
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
my warranty has a 100 dollar deductible so was it totally free or did you have to pay the 100 bucks

thank your for all the help so far
i did it all before the 3/36k was up, so it was totally free.

they will probably charge you a diagnostic fee, and rape you with labor...but hey, they are the only ones that have the new TCM prog....
Unread 01-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
SportTJ4x4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So the only way is to bring it to the dealer? Nobody makes a chip or anything for it?
Unread 01-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #11
SportTJ4x4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Would this solve my problem? http://www.jeepforum.com/reviews/sho...hp?product=115
Unread 01-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #12
chefdab
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The shift kit you referred to is made by Transgo.
Quote:
... at what point has "NEED" ever come into play when it comes to Jeep upgrades
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmannm View Post
I'm a idiot so be genital.
chefdab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So the only way is to bring it to the dealer? Nobody makes a chip or anything for it?
Read my previous post:

Quote:
they will probably charge you a diagnostic fee, and rape you with labor...but hey, they are the only ones that have the new TCM prog....
Quote:
The Transgo shift kit will help, but the tranny is still going to suck until you get the right program in the TCM. It will still cost you a hundred plus in labor to get that shift kit installed, unless you want to do it yourself.
Unread 01-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #14
SportTJ4x4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I brought the truck to my transmission guy to see what he thought, he said jeep made it that way to save gas. Im not so worried about the lack of power that i am about the engine ping. Is the engine ping coming from the engine being under so much load?
Unread 01-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #15
garybattles
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same tranny. Mine shifts to OD at 48 mph, but no pinging, and I run on 32's. Something else is causing the pinging. I also hit the OD off switch unless I am on the freeway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.