42RLE Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 42RLE Noise

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 02-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
grpatter
2005 LJ Wrangler 

42RLE Noise

JF, I need your help on this one.

I know the manual is quite well known for it's 'marbles in a can' noise while the clutch is disengaged, but has anyone ever heard similar things in the auto?

It's an 05 LJ, and gives a strange whirring/'marbling' noise when near shift points. If I give it a bit more pedal it'll shift and stop, or if I let off a bit it'll stop. This usually happens between 3 and 4, but has happened between 2 and 3 as well.

Any thoughts?

grpatter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Jeeprogue
2004 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like your low on fluid, did you check it?
Jeeprogue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
4banged
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely not normal. The torque converter locks up in 3rd and 4th so maybe there's something wrong there but you'd have to take it to the dealer or tranny shop to diagnose that. I think we have the same tranny (42rle) and mine doesn't make any weird noises.
4banged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
grpatter
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah, fluid was the first thing I checked, still looking good there

4banged: Good (or bad..) to at least know this isn't normal, I'll keep looking and run by the shop to see what's up.

Thanks
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
timberwolf0122
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grpatter View Post
Yeah, fluid was the first thing I checked, still looking good there

4banged: Good (or bad..) to at least know this isn't normal, I'll keep looking and run by the shop to see what's up.

Thanks
Just to be 100% when you check your fluid did you have the engine running and the transmission in Neutral? This is the correct way as the torque converter is engage this way and the fluid is pumping, otherwise you'll get an artificially high reading.
Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
MacGyver Club Member #1
Doctor Who has died 10 times, is on his 11th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
I think he's calling his Jeep "Tardis," which is British slang for pimp mobile. - Dangfoo
timberwolf0122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
grpatter
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Update here: @timberwolf : Yeah, that's how I've been checking it.

I went ahead and did a full flush of the fluid this past weekend so I could take a look. The fluid didn't *look* too bad (though that doesn't really mean much), and I didn't notice any shavings/flakes in the pan either. It may have been wishful thinking but it seems like it was *slightly* less audible for a couple days after the change, but it's definitely still there.

Not sure if this is helpful, but I had a friend with me the other day listen and he said he could feel some slight vibration in the passenger side nearish the front when it was making the noise that went away when it wasn't.

It almost feels like it's not fully engaging something (though the change is very very slight) and either less/more throttle gets it back into synch, if that makes any sense.
Unread 02-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grpatter View Post
Update here: @timberwolf : Yeah, that's how I've been checking it.

I went ahead and did a full flush of the fluid this past weekend so I could take a look. The fluid didn't *look* too bad (though that doesn't really mean much), and I didn't notice any shavings/flakes in the pan either. It may have been wishful thinking but it seems like it was *slightly* less audible for a couple days after the change, but it's definitely still there.

Not sure if this is helpful, but I had a friend with me the other day listen and he said he could feel some slight vibration in the passenger side nearish the front when it was making the noise that went away when it wasn't.

It almost feels like it's not fully engaging something (though the change is very very slight) and either less/more throttle gets it back into synch, if that makes any sense.
Just curious, how many miles on the LJ?
Brainwashed2566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
grpatter
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed2566 View Post
Just curious, how many miles on the LJ?
Just hit 75k

Tags
42rle , lj , tj , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.