42rle limp mode. Rats. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 42rle limp mode. Rats.

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 08-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

42rle limp mode. Rats.

After years of problem free operation, it happened while in the mountains camping last weekend. 04 TJ. 50,000 miles.
Jeep worked fine all day Saturday. No weird shifts, business as usual. Sunday morning while on the way to the trail, it would not shift out of second and the CEL came on. Good thing cause I would of needed 1st gear on that trail.

Generic code P0700 on the odometer. Hooked up an OBDII reader when I got home and got an additional P0605 code. TCM?

Fluid is full and doesn't smell burnt. All connections look good. No blown fuses. I've even unhooked the battery and let it sit for a couple days.

Edit: The light on the OD off button also does not light up.

According to the dealer, I need a DRBIII reader to pinpoint the problem. Conveniently for them, they are the only shop around for miles that has one.

I guess my question for the pros is if there is anything else I may have missed before I haul it to the dealer? It has not been there since new. I've done all repairs and mods myself, but am no transmission guy. Thanks.

Last edited by TJDaveX; 08-16-2014 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: added info
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Internal Controller Malfunction
I use this site below to check codes.
http://actron.com/code_lookup.php
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Internal Controller Malfunction
I use this site below to check codes.
http://actron.com/code_lookup.php

Thank you for the reply. I looked that up too. Does that mean it's the TCM for 100% sure? I would hate to buy one only to find out that's not it.
Unread 08-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
pagrey
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Daveys Jeeps probably has one for your model and sells them for $10 plus shipping depending on how fast you want it. If you suspect the TCU and you can't find a friend to swap with then just get one from Daveys and swap it out. It probably isn't the TCU but at least you'll eliminate it as a possibility. That might be a cheaper alternative than that fancy diagnostic tool. I've replaced my TCU and it took a day or two of normal driving for it to re-learn the transmission and it didn't require any special tools.
pagrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagrey View Post
If you suspect the TCU and you can't find a friend to swap with then just get one from Daveys and swap it out. It probably isn't the TCU but at least you'll eliminate it as a possibility. That might be a cheaper alternative than that fancy diagnostic tool.
THANK YOU!!! I do have a friend with an 04 auto TJ! I just pulled his TCU out and put it in mine. I knew right away when my OD off light came on when I pushed the switch. I drove it around for awhile and all gears work including overdrive. The CEL also never came back on. Problem solved.
When I put mine back in, back to limp mode and the CEL came back on.
Now I just need to order the part. No special reader and trip to stealership needed.
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

For anyone that finds this thread in their searches, one important thing was brought to my attention:
If your TJ is an 05-06, be very careful swapping parts with a friend. On those years, the TCM is integrated with the PCM, not two separate units like the 03-04. If one Jeep has the sentry key system activated in the PCM, and the other does not, it will create problems for both Jeeps.

Not the case for my 04. I'll update this thread when my replacement TCM arrives.
Unread 08-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
roots
2005 LJ Wrangler 

A dying battery can also cause the limp home mode, among other issues.
roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

UPDATE:

My TCM showed up today. 2 wrenches and 5 minutes later, I have a working Jeep again.
Unread Yesterday, 12:55 PM   #9
mitchpcollins

Where did you purchase the new one?
mitchpcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #10
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Used. Found one locally from a Hemi converted TJ. That one is in my Jeep now.
Bought another one for a spare from Davey's Jeeps. $10. !
Unread Yesterday, 02:28 PM   #11
mitchpcollins

Interested in selling the extra one?
mitchpcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:45 PM   #12
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, no. Like I said, it is a spare in case my used replacement goes south.
Also my buddy, that let me borrow his, can borrow it to help diagnose a TCM problem should the need arise.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.