42rle hard shifting into 3rd gear on a KJ???!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 42rle hard shifting into 3rd gear on a KJ???!!!!

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 08-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

42rle hard shifting into 3rd gear on a KJ???!!!!

I know this is a TJ forum but I thought since it's the same transmission perhaps you guys can help me too.

I have an '03 KJ and recently it has been shifting into 3rd gear a bit hard. it's exactly as if the tranny mount was broken which is what I thought at first. But I checked the mount and it's fine. And this only happens if I accelerate slowly from a stop. I'm not sure about this but it also seem to only happen when the tranny is cold. If I floor it, it changes gears smoothly!!!

It's not showing any DTC codes on my reader either.

I took it a my mechanic but I'm not convinced with his diagnosis. He claims it's either a sensor or some "switch" inside the trans???!!!

It's a well maintained car and I had it shipped all the way from the States... I don't want them to turn it into a quinea pig here

Please help

TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

how "hard" is it shifting? when was the last time the fluids were changed? When does it ever get COLD in Kuwait? haha

[COLOR="Red"][_l_[COLOR="black"],[/COLOR][____][COLOR="Black"],[/COLOR]
l----L - [COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]lllllll[COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]-[/COLOR]
(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

[COLOR="Green"]Wife≥Jeep>GF

Relearn your priorities.[/COLOR]

WANTED: SYE and cv shaft...good condition and good price. for a TJ with about 5-6" of lift.
AFjeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFjeepMan View Post
how "hard" is it shifting? when was the last time the fluids were changed? When does it ever get COLD in Kuwait? haha
It shifts into 3rd very hard as if something is broken or it's like a hard slap on the gears and only in 3rd... I changed the ATF a month ago and I do it on regular basis... And lol you know what I meant It seems to only happen after an over night stop.

Seriously I have to know whats wrong with it
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Gonewhln
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I swear the 42rle is an automatic i just had mine replaced,
i had this problem when it shifted from 1st to 2nd the trans was wasted had to buy new, then my new one wanted to do the same thing i took it back to the dealer they told me the trans is putting itself in a protection mode and it is doing this because the fluid is getting to hot and the gears i'm running (3.73) is one of the causes.
They reset the trans computer and i installed a trans cooler and regearing is coming soon to help solve the issue.
I know you said when the trans is cold but the trans has already put it
s self in protection mode take it to the dealer A JEEP DEALER and have them reset the computer then install a trans cooler maybe this will help you out in the Desert.
Stay Safe and Thanks for your service
Gonewhln is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

welp, apparently the 42RLE is a crap tranny in the KJ, as well as the TJ.

what ATF did you use and how did you change the fluid?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonewhln View Post
I swear the 42rle is an automatic i just had mine replaced,
i had this problem when it shifted from 1st to 2nd the trans was wasted had to buy new, then my new one wanted to do the same thing i took it back to the dealer they told me the trans is putting itself in a protection mode and it is doing this because the fluid is getting to hot and the gears i'm running (3.73) is one of the causes.
They reset the trans computer and i installed a trans cooler and regearing is coming soon to help solve the issue.
I know you said when the trans is cold but the trans has already put it
s self in protection mode take it to the dealer A JEEP DEALER and have them reset the computer then install a trans cooler maybe this will help you out in the Desert.
Stay Safe and Thanks for your service
Thanks for your input... I'm kind of glad that this is not a case of "first time" this happens...

However, the KJ already has a trans cooler infront of the AC condenser. What do you mean self protection mode? It feels like a self destruction mode to me!!! I haven't moved the Jeep for two days now because I'm worried something will blowup in the tranny if I drove in this condition.

Oh and about the Jeep dealer... There is only one dealership here as it is the case everywhere outside the States I guess... And those guys over here don't know anything about fixing Jeeps I tried them many times before in the past
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
welp, apparently the 42RLE is a crap tranny in the KJ, as well as the TJ.

what ATF did you use and how did you change the fluid?
I only use mopar ATF +4... with a filter change! I do it at a service station as I always have for five years now ever since I got the KJ.
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Gonewhln
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
Thanks for your input... I'm kind of glad that this is not a case of "first time" this happens...

However, the KJ already has a trans cooler infront of the AC condenser. What do you mean self protection mode? It feels like a self destruction mode to me!!! I haven't moved the Jeep for two days now because I'm worried something will blowup in the tranny if I drove in this condition.

Oh and about the Jeep dealer... There is only one dealership here as it is the case everywhere outside the States I guess... And those guys over here don't know anything about fixing Jeeps I tried them many times before in the past
The trans runs a supply and return line to the radiator what you do is still use it you just add in another infront of the radiator in series with the factory cooler.
so the return line heading back to the trans (a short rubber line) near the radiator you cut it in half and install a coupler in each cut rubber hose and these go up to the new cooler and it cools the fluid down more then it goes to the trans.
always buy extra 3/8 inch rubber hose you will need it. i'll send you a link from advance auto of the one i used.
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The trans runs a supply and return line to the radiator what you do is still use it you just add in another infront of the radiator in series with the factory cooler.
so the return line heading back to the trans (a short rubber line) near the radiator you cut it in half and install a coupler in each cut rubber hose and these go up to the new cooler and it cools the fluid down more then it goes to the trans.
always buy extra 3/8 inch rubber hose you will need it. i'll send you a link from advance auto of the one i used.
I told you it has an aux cooler from the factory... Do you mean to add a second one??? But I have no problem with trans temp... It also has a warning light on the dash and it never lid before!!! Either way how would this fix the shifting problem? Or do you mean the tranny is toast now?
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I only use mopar ATF +4... with a filter change! I do it at a service station as I always have for five years now ever since I got the KJ.
Did you use a Mopar filter? Some have reported issues with aftermarket, non-Mopar, filters.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
Gonewhln
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I told you it has an aux cooler from the factory... Do you mean to add a second one??? But I have no problem with trans temp... It also has a warning light on the dash and it never lid before!!! Either way how would this fix the shifting problem? Or do you mean the tranny is toast now?
the trans is not wasted it's in protection mode and the only way to get it out is to have the computer reset at the dealer adding a second cooler will help keep the trans fluid much cooler and prevent another shifting problem.
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the trans is not wasted it's in protection mode and the only way to get it out is to have the computer reset at the dealer adding a second cooler will help keep the trans fluid much cooler and prevent another shifting problem.
Ok got it... I'll try the dealership tomorrow and see if they do reset the computer or not over here! Although I'm pretty sure that they will ask me to leave the car with them to test it which will take a week as they always do and at the ende they'll say that it needs a rebuild... But you are talking about resetting the trans computer not the engine's, right?
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
Did you use a Mopar filter? Some have reported issues with aftermarket, non-Mopar, filters.
Yes mopar all the way.. And only from the dealership to make sure that it's not a knock off.
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #14
Gonewhln
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok got it... I'll try the dealership tomorrow and see if they do reset the computer or not over here! Although I'm pretty sure that they will ask me to leave the car with them to test it which will take a week as they always do and at the ende they'll say that it needs a rebuild... But you are talking about resetting the trans computer not the engine's, right?
just the trans compter take it home and let it sit until you get the aux transcooler installed that way you don't run the chance of putting it back into protection mode. the website for advance auto is down for maintance. but i'll crawl this thread and send the info to you or you can try summitracing.com but as i said get extra 3/8 inch rubber tubing 4 ft should do it.
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
just the trans compter take it home and let it sit until you get the aux transcooler installed that way you don't run the chance of putting it back into protection mode. the website for advance auto is down for maintance. but i'll crawl this thread and send the info to you or you can try summitracing.com but as i said get extra 3/8 inch rubber tubing 4 ft should do it.
Thanks.... And I'll let you guys know how it goes with the dealership tomorrow.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.