42rle hard shifting into 3rd gear on a KJ???!!!! - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
TeeJay00
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,547
42rle hard shifting into 3rd gear on a KJ???!!!!

I know this is a TJ forum but I thought since it's the same transmission perhaps you guys can help me too.

I have an '03 KJ and recently it has been shifting into 3rd gear a bit hard. it's exactly as if the tranny mount was broken which is what I thought at first. But I checked the mount and it's fine. And this only happens if I accelerate slowly from a stop. I'm not sure about this but it also seem to only happen when the tranny is cold. If I floor it, it changes gears smoothly!!!

It's not showing any DTC codes on my reader either.

I took it a my mechanic but I'm not convinced with his diagnosis. He claims it's either a sensor or some "switch" inside the trans???!!!

It's a well maintained car and I had it shipped all the way from the States... I don't want them to turn it into a quinea pig here

Please help

TeeJay00 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 06:28 PM
AFjeepMan
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,136
how "hard" is it shifting? when was the last time the fluids were changed? When does it ever get COLD in Kuwait? haha

2005 Wrangler TJ, 3 1/4" RC lift, Cragar Soft 8's 32" BFG Mud Terrains, Smittybilt SRC D-Ring bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Body Armor Rockcrawler side guards
My Build Thread

[_l_,[____],
l----L - OlllllllO-

(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

Wife≥Jeep>GF

Relearn your priorities.


WANTED: SYE and cv shaft...good condition and good price. for a TJ with about 5-6" of lift.
AFjeepMan is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
TeeJay00
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFjeepMan View Post
how "hard" is it shifting? when was the last time the fluids were changed? When does it ever get COLD in Kuwait? haha
It shifts into 3rd very hard as if something is broken or it's like a hard slap on the gears and only in 3rd... I changed the ATF a month ago and I do it on regular basis... And lol you know what I meant It seems to only happen after an over night stop.

Seriously I have to know whats wrong with it
TeeJay00 is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Gonewhln
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Currituck, NC
Posts: 1,175
I swear the 42rle is an automatic i just had mine replaced,
i had this problem when it shifted from 1st to 2nd the trans was wasted had to buy new, then my new one wanted to do the same thing i took it back to the dealer they told me the trans is putting itself in a protection mode and it is doing this because the fluid is getting to hot and the gears i'm running (3.73) is one of the causes.
They reset the trans computer and i installed a trans cooler and regearing is coming soon to help solve the issue.
I know you said when the trans is cold but the trans has already put it
s self in protection mode take it to the dealer A JEEP DEALER and have them reset the computer then install a trans cooler maybe this will help you out in the Desert.
Stay Safe and Thanks for your service
Gonewhln is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 24,173
Unlimited04 is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
TeeJay00
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonewhln View Post
I swear the 42rle is an automatic i just had mine replaced,
i had this problem when it shifted from 1st to 2nd the trans was wasted had to buy new, then my new one wanted to do the same thing i took it back to the dealer they told me the trans is putting itself in a protection mode and it is doing this because the fluid is getting to hot and the gears i'm running (3.73) is one of the causes.
They reset the trans computer and i installed a trans cooler and regearing is coming soon to help solve the issue.
I know you said when the trans is cold but the trans has already put it
s self in protection mode take it to the dealer A JEEP DEALER and have them reset the computer then install a trans cooler maybe this will help you out in the Desert.
Stay Safe and Thanks for your service
Thanks for your input... I'm kind of glad that this is not a case of "first time" this happens...

However, the KJ already has a trans cooler infront of the AC condenser. What do you mean self protection mode? It feels like a self destruction mode to me!!! I haven't moved the Jeep for two days now because I'm worried something will blowup in the tranny if I drove in this condition.

Oh and about the Jeep dealer... There is only one dealership here as it is the case everywhere outside the States I guess... And those guys over here don't know anything about fixing Jeeps I tried them many times before in the past
TeeJay00 is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
TeeJay00
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
welp, apparently the 42RLE is a crap tranny in the KJ, as well as the TJ.

what ATF did you use and how did you change the fluid?
I only use mopar ATF +4... with a filter change! I do it at a service station as I always have for five years now ever since I got the KJ.
TeeJay00 is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Gonewhln
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Currituck, NC
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
Thanks for your input... I'm kind of glad that this is not a case of "first time" this happens...

However, the KJ already has a trans cooler infront of the AC condenser. What do you mean self protection mode? It feels like a self destruction mode to me!!! I haven't moved the Jeep for two days now because I'm worried something will blowup in the tranny if I drove in this condition.

Oh and about the Jeep dealer... There is only one dealership here as it is the case everywhere outside the States I guess... And those guys over here don't know anything about fixing Jeeps I tried them many times before in the past
The trans runs a supply and return line to the radiator what you do is still use it you just add in another infront of the radiator in series with the factory cooler.
so the return line heading back to the trans (a short rubber line) near the radiator you cut it in half and install a coupler in each cut rubber hose and these go up to the new cooler and it cools the fluid down more then it goes to the trans.
always buy extra 3/8 inch rubber hose you will need it. i'll send you a link from advance auto of the one i used.
Gonewhln is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
TeeJay00
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonewhln View Post
The trans runs a supply and return line to the radiator what you do is still use it you just add in another infront of the radiator in series with the factory cooler.
so the return line heading back to the trans (a short rubber line) near the radiator you cut it in half and install a coupler in each cut rubber hose and these go up to the new cooler and it cools the fluid down more then it goes to the trans.
always buy extra 3/8 inch rubber hose you will need it. i'll send you a link from advance auto of the one i used.
I told you it has an aux cooler from the factory... Do you mean to add a second one??? But I have no problem with trans temp... It also has a warning light on the dash and it never lid before!!! Either way how would this fix the shifting problem? Or do you mean the tranny is toast now?
TeeJay00 is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 07:11 PM
robncar
Registered User
 
robncar's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Verne
Posts: 8,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
I only use mopar ATF +4... with a filter change! I do it at a service station as I always have for five years now ever since I got the KJ.
Did you use a Mopar filter? Some have reported issues with aftermarket, non-Mopar, filters.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/diy-alignment-kit-steps-w-pics-2264465/
robncar is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Gonewhln
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Currituck, NC
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
I told you it has an aux cooler from the factory... Do you mean to add a second one??? But I have no problem with trans temp... It also has a warning light on the dash and it never lid before!!! Either way how would this fix the shifting problem? Or do you mean the tranny is toast now?
the trans is not wasted it's in protection mode and the only way to get it out is to have the computer reset at the dealer adding a second cooler will help keep the trans fluid much cooler and prevent another shifting problem.
Gonewhln is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
TeeJay00
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonewhln View Post
the trans is not wasted it's in protection mode and the only way to get it out is to have the computer reset at the dealer adding a second cooler will help keep the trans fluid much cooler and prevent another shifting problem.
Ok got it... I'll try the dealership tomorrow and see if they do reset the computer or not over here! Although I'm pretty sure that they will ask me to leave the car with them to test it which will take a week as they always do and at the ende they'll say that it needs a rebuild... But you are talking about resetting the trans computer not the engine's, right?
TeeJay00 is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
TeeJay00
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
Did you use a Mopar filter? Some have reported issues with aftermarket, non-Mopar, filters.
Yes mopar all the way.. And only from the dealership to make sure that it's not a knock off.
TeeJay00 is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Gonewhln
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Currituck, NC
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
Ok got it... I'll try the dealership tomorrow and see if they do reset the computer or not over here! Although I'm pretty sure that they will ask me to leave the car with them to test it which will take a week as they always do and at the ende they'll say that it needs a rebuild... But you are talking about resetting the trans computer not the engine's, right?
just the trans compter take it home and let it sit until you get the aux transcooler installed that way you don't run the chance of putting it back into protection mode. the website for advance auto is down for maintance. but i'll crawl this thread and send the info to you or you can try summitracing.com but as i said get extra 3/8 inch rubber tubing 4 ft should do it.
Gonewhln is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
TeeJay00
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonewhln View Post
just the trans compter take it home and let it sit until you get the aux transcooler installed that way you don't run the chance of putting it back into protection mode. the website for advance auto is down for maintance. but i'll crawl this thread and send the info to you or you can try summitracing.com but as i said get extra 3/8 inch rubber tubing 4 ft should do it.
Thanks.... And I'll let you guys know how it goes with the dealership tomorrow.
TeeJay00 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
42rle whine shifting from 1st to 2nd ryan2022 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 10-23-2009 09:33 AM
Clutch replaced...now hard shifting and gear grinding smith329 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 11 04-24-2009 10:30 AM
42rle gear selector indicator off by one gear TJDaveX TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 4 03-22-2008 08:22 PM
42RLE locking in 3rd gear?!?! MickBurke TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 3 03-03-2008 11:42 AM
42RLE not shifting right chadsmeltzer TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 10-09-2007 02:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome