4 Wheel light in dash not on?? Help - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 09-19-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
JimPet
2003 TJ Wrangler 

4 Wheel light in dash not on?? Help

Hi Guys:

Another dumb question. When I pull my lever for 4 Wheel high on my 2003 Rubicon, the 4 Wheel light in the dash does not come on. How can I tell if I am in 4 wheel drive High and maybe the bulb is burned out. I hope this is the case.

I can pull the lever and go in 4 wheel low, that is very easy to feel to say the least. rock crawling speed.

Jim P.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 09-19-2017, 05:17 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's easy to tell when you're in 4Hi on pavement since the steering will be herky-jerky. Does the 4x4 light turn on when you first turn the ignition switch on?

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 41 Old 09-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

IIRC the two pins on the plug at the transfer case can be shorted together to test the wires and bulb?...

post #4 of 41 Old 09-19-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
JimPet
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
It's easy to tell when you're in 4Hi on pavement since the steering will be herky-jerky. Does the 4x4 light turn on when you first turn the ignition switch on?
Yeah that's what I thought........ No herky jerky steering. And no the 4 Wheel light does not come on when I start Jeep.

Jim P
post #5 of 41 Old 09-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
IIRC the two pins on the plug at the transfer case can be shorted together to test the wires and bulb?...
That's true with the 231 but the Rubicon's 241 has some strange switch that gives stepped resistances depending on the gear selection. One of these days I'm going to read up on how it works since my Rubicon's 4x4 light hasn't worked since I bought it.

post #6 of 41 Old 09-19-2017, 08:53 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting.

OP, fill in your profile, that helps others help you...
post #7 of 41 Old 09-20-2017, 06:26 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

The switch in the transfer case is a common failure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #8 of 41 Old 09-20-2017, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
JimPet
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Interesting.

OP, fill in your profile, that helps others help you...
Ok thanks just did.
post #9 of 41 Old 09-20-2017, 08:23 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I feel like the basic vehicle profile info should have a spot for model, that way we know if they have a Rubicon or not.
I know the OP here does because he stated that, but that is not always the case.
People ask t-case questions and ask things like "what other mods to I need to do with my X" lift" and "will my stock gearing work with X size tires". In these cases it would be helpful to know if they are talking about a Rubicon or not before we start telling them about the two wire t-case 4wd light switch, or the need for a SYE, or that their max 3.73 gears are going to be horrid with the size tires they want because if it says it's a Rubicon when they put "stock" in the gears and axles field we would know a lot more...

-

Quote:
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #10 of 41 Old 09-20-2017, 10:21 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
The switch in the transfer case is a common failure.
True though his instrument cluster's 4x4 light doesn't come on when the ignition switch is first turned on. Isn't that light one of the ones that illuminates when the key is first turned on to verify its light is working? I can't go out to my TJ to verify it, my son is back home and driving it.

post #11 of 41 Old 09-20-2017, 12:10 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just went out to my '04 Rubicon and the 4wd indicator did not come on with the key on bulb check. (I couldn't remember.)
My light does work properly (now). In fact, I just replaced the t-case switch a few months ago due to the light staying on in 2wd.
I got the switch and a water heater element socket (right size and long enough to fit over, but not too long to fit in there) on Amazon.
Jerry Bransford likes this.

-

Quote:
post #12 of 41 Old 09-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Freeagent27
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My light hasn't worked in almost 2 years. My 4wheel drive is fully functional hi and low. Mine does not light up when started either. I thought I read of some type of cluster check by pressing the odometer while turning on ignition??? I've never done that yet either. Seems simple enough, I've just never tried it yet

"My thoughts on yoga pants? Depends who I'm walking behind".
post #13 of 41 Old 09-20-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
JimPet
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeagent27 View Post
My light hasn't worked in almost 2 years. My 4wheel drive is fully functional hi and low. Mine does not light up when started either. I thought I read of some type of cluster check by pressing the odometer while turning on ignition??? I've never done that yet either. Seems simple enough, I've just never tried it yet
I have the original manual, never saw that in there??? I will give it a try and see what happens..??

Jim P
post #14 of 41 Old 09-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Freeagent27
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPet
I have the original manual, never saw that in there??? I will give it a try and see what happens..?? Jim P
I never saw it in a manual, I think I read it here on the forum if I'm not mistaken. Now I'm going to have to try and find that thread and the go outside and try it myself. Actually, I think I may have seen it on YouTube 😂... long day

post #15 of 41 Old 09-20-2017, 08:21 PM
Freeagent27
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hold the odometer button down. Turn ignition on, but do not crank the engine. Continue holding the odometer button down, and it will go through various fault checks and software checks. All gauge lights will come on individually, and your gauges will cycle as well. If your 4wd light illuminates during this test, you know the bulb is good, then you can probably figure its in that switch or wiring to/from the switch on top of the T-Case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.