4 wheel drive light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4 wheel drive light

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 06-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
jmpowie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

4 wheel drive light

My 4 wheel drive light does not come on when I put it in 4. It could be a the bulb or what? Thanks

jmpowie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, it could be the bulb. It could also be "What"... Get a dang voltmeter and go to looking for it, for pete's sake: it's pretty hard to diagnose something like that over the internet based on that.
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
patduke90
1997 TJ Wrangler 

There's a sender on top of the xfer case that blows out, not uncommon. Every TJ I've owned has had this problem.
patduke90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilliams35 View Post
Yes, it could be the bulb. It could also be "What"... Get a dang voltmeter and go to looking for it, for pete's sake: it's pretty hard to diagnose something like that over the internet based on that.
Wow!! He was just asking a simple question? And you my friend, are you sure you have a V6 in your Wrangler like stated in your profile?
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
Wow!! He was just asking a simple question? And you my friend, are you sure you have a V6 in your Wrangler like stated in your profile?
Ya...

DWILLIAMS35'S JEEP
Year & Model
2003 TJ Wrangler
Engine
4.0 V-6
Unread 06-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
jmpowie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patduke90 View Post
There's a sender on top of the xfer case that blows out, not uncommon. Every TJ I've owned has had this problem.
Thanks I will start there. dwilliams35 are you off your meds? you seem angry
jmpowie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No, not angry. And thanks for you guys pointing that out on the profile: a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I have no idea how I did that and hadn't noticed it. Fixed now: that's how things work, notice a problem, try to find out what's wrong, then fix it or ask for help.
Meanwhile, this is the kind of problem that before i started a thread on it, I'd be a heck of a lot further along: yes, it could be a bulb: check the dang bulb. Check power here, check power there. Sit back, drink a few beers, and decide if it's all that important to have a 4wd light anyway. If the answer turns up "yes", look a little longer, dig out the FSM, etc.: then come here and say "okay guys, I did this, I did that, and I'm drawing a blank: what would you guys look for next??" The question as posed was akin to "My jeep stopped running- do you think it could be out of gas?" Impossible to answer without some more information as to just what the OP has done to diagnose the problem: did you look at the gas gauge?
Yes, this could have been the bulb. Yes, it could have been "what". I guess we could just list each and every component involved in the relevant electrical circuit, including wire and connectors, and say "this could be it".
Unread 06-19-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
phillies4752
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

dwilliams you need to relax man. He just joined the forum a couple of days ago... hes obviously new to this. Weren't we all new to this at one point? chill
phillies4752 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, i guess I wasn't new to this at one point: by the time the internet was started, I was already quite aware of how a VOM worked and it's proper application to the auto-electrics diagnostic process. I guess I'm just in the habit of basing such things on my own experiences: I would have phrased the question differently. Something like "My 4wd light is dead in the water: I'm a complete noob and don't have a clue what to start looking for or how to do it: any pointers?": I'd be all over helping in any way I could. But alas, today's society just wants the answers, not to learn how to figure it out....If I had asked that question when I was at that point, I would have had to react fast before the VOM hit me in the head...
Unread 06-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

To the OP if you remove the plug from the switch on the t-case, stick a paper clip in there to connect both terminals with the ignition switch on, if the dash light comes on then the switch is bad, if not the bulb is likely shot. It is way more common for the switch to go out than for the bulb to blow though.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Ya...

DWILLIAMS35'S JEEP
Year & Model
2003 TJ Wrangler
Engine
4.0 V-6
I am so confused. What custom work and engine did you swap in to get a V-6? Maybe open your hood once in a while and you will notice an inline setup!
I6 not V-6
inglisleslie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inglisleslie View Post
I am so confused. What custom work and engine did you swap in to get a V-6? Maybe open your hood once in a while and you will notice an inline setup!
I6 not V-6
You're kind of running behind here.
Unread 06-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inglisleslie View Post
I6 not V-6
My responce was about DWILLIAMS35'S JEEP.
No wonder your confused...

Tags
4wd dash light , dash , light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.